PDA

View Full Version : Battery Question

Bryan Tuvell 33ZX
04-01-2007, 06:42 PM
If one of the keys is left in the on position for 45 minutes to an hour, would that drain down both batteries that fast, brand new Ultima Cells, installed last summer.
Ran today about 8 miles, beached, and left a key on while playing with my replaced depth gauge, GPS was also on and stereo and amps, same routine as always, which we leave run for hours without issue.
But, I left the key on, time to go and click...
Shut all power off, and 15 minutes later I had enough juice to start one, and then two. So no harm no foul, gauge shows them charging at 14 while on plane, when they were dead, key on indicated 10 amps.
So was it the key I left on, or do I need to recheck all connections to the batteries etc. This has NEVER happened before.
I would have trouble shot today, but after the boat wash and cover, the called for storm hit...
Thanks, just curious and looking for ideas and as always an education.
Bryan

zimm17
04-01-2007, 07:26 PM
Hey man, glad to see you're on the water already. I'm still a couple weekends away from being ready.

I would clean all the terminals on the batteries. Also check the ground wire on the engine blocks. I couldn't get my engine to turn over after it had just been running for a few minutes- the starter solenoid clicked like a dead battery. I wiggled the black ground on battery #1 and it fired right up. Loose wingnut. Amazing what a bad ground will do for you.

MOP
04-01-2007, 07:42 PM
Good luck with it Bryan electric can be a bit of a mystery at times, it should turn out to be the usual spring clean up drill!

Phil

Bryan Tuvell 33ZX
04-01-2007, 08:20 PM
Greg, got your email, thanks. To sea again I go... and this Iran deal does not smell pretty (CNN Version).

Phil, I am sure you are right, maybe just something loose or dirty.
A buddy called and told me the key on can make the difference, fuel pumps etc running.
I will make sure all is tight and clean this week. I was just was STUNNED when I was out of battery after an hour of the keys left on...
Otherwise all was well on the mothership DONZI! Ready for some good bay running with the HRPA.

Thanks and take care,
Bryan

Johntrip
04-01-2007, 11:37 PM
One of my kids turned a key on and I did'nt see it until the next day. We were campin down in the keys and my shore power was hooked up so I don't have knowledge on the battery issue but what did happen is my hour guages are 23hrs apart.....:boggled:

zimm17
04-02-2007, 05:29 AM
One of my kids turned a key on and I did'nt see it until the next day. We were campin down in the keys and my shore power was hooked up so I don't have knowledge on the battery issue but what did happen is my hour guages are 23hrs apart.....:boggled:

Can you reverse polarity to the gauge and run it backwards for 23 hours? Or it might be one way like an odometer. You could call the gauge manufacturer and find out or just flop the wires around and see if it goes backwards.

Pismo
04-02-2007, 06:07 AM
Leaving the key on for 45 min will not run the battery down that much. So either you have terrible batteries, or they were not very charged, or bad connections.

Donzigo
04-02-2007, 06:11 AM
Bryan, I think the age of the batteries might be the issue. I change my batteries every June, need them or not. Just good mantenaince.

I had two guests aboard my Z-33 today. I think they said they rode in your Donzi a time or two. Tony & Sheri Sporo.............nice folks, for sure.

LKSD
04-02-2007, 08:31 AM
The key on engine not running can drain down the battery after a while, but a few minutes of it should still be ok.. If you had weak batteries though it could happen quicker.. What voltage output did your gauges show before & after the incident?

If it is still a concern clean the connections like mentioned by someone earlier. Then have the alternator output tested along with the batteries.. :) That should give you a good idea of if everything is ok.. ALso it should let you be safe for starting.. :) Jamie / Lakeside

fasttrucker
04-07-2007, 04:04 PM
]I could not get those batterys that you have a couple of seasons ago when I needed to change them.What is the ratings cca/deep cycle?

mphatc
04-07-2007, 09:21 PM
Brian,

You didn't state if this was your first outing this year . . and how batteries were stored and prepped for use . .

I deal with alot of batteries from race cars that go unused for extended periods of time . . What I frequently see is that the new technology batteies like the Ultima Cells, The Optimas, and numerous other small dry cell batteries need a thorough charge done precisely as the manufacturer directs.

These will mask a full charge and get you started and running fine, like right after a winter of no use. But the reserve capicity for all the accessories you were running, plus the high draw of a restart may have been too much . . and they may not reach full charge from the engines . .

There is some info on this page that may be of help,
http://www.saftbatteries.com/130-Catalogue/PDF/data_ultima_en.pdf

Good luck, let us knbow what you find.
Mario L.

BigGrizzly
04-08-2007, 10:10 AM
I,m with the connection too. I am with Jamie on the drain issue too. However, There have been a lot of trouble with those batteries. BadTat went through two in a year. It seams they come back fast but have little reserve power. Like Poodle said, DO NOT hook up backwards. Drain down to nothing is an old Lead acid battery trick for reversed polarity, but doesn't work on that type battery.Good luck on your sea duty, and I will see you when you return!

Bryan Tuvell 33ZX
04-12-2007, 04:10 PM
UPDATE
Went down to the boat last week, terminals were dull, no nasty stuff and one battery had loose wing bolts, shined all to new condition.
Plugged in boat, onboard charger ran to 40 while charging.. ???
Which is normal, but after a couple hours barely dropped. Normally, plug in boat, turn on built in charger and 2 hours later at ZERO...

I will watch it my next time out.
Bought a 450 AMP charge pack just to ensure I am not stranded, plus a good thing to have at gatherings.

MP, not sweating the hour meters, one says 171 and the other 200 something. The mech prints my hours and per RPM for me annually so I can see what I ran and have proof for sale day when and if that ever comes.
Still dreaming of moving up, but I am not home enough these days.

Thank you all.
Bryan

Johntrip
04-13-2007, 12:12 AM
maDDog, Now why did'nt I think of that the other day when I installed the new Livorsi gps Speedo:bonk: Freshly cleaned and resealed the dash panel so it will have to wait..... Thanks!!