PDA

View Full Version : ProCharger..???

Johntrip
04-01-2007, 04:27 PM
Well, the warranty is up and I'm thinking of a set of Chargers for my 496 hos. Does anyone have any knowledge-input on the 496ho/charger experience. I'm going to pm Jamie for a quote...

MOP
04-01-2007, 07:24 PM
Jim Catch 22 has been running one on his 454 for a couple of years and seems to be very happy, there have been several posts on the 496 on OSO and I am sure other places. Good luck with the project!

Phil

The Hedgehog
04-01-2007, 09:54 PM
Not all 496's like them. Do talk to Jamie, he will know. He has good prices and does installs. My 502 love's the boost. Bought mine from Jamie

LKSD
04-02-2007, 08:26 AM
John,

I got your PM.. Give me a call & I will be glad to go over that stuff with ya as well as a couple other options.. :) Jamie / Lakeside 570-639-2628

DudeHoss
04-02-2007, 02:51 PM
I want one as well.

Procharger for 496 (http://www.procharger.com/marine/M_496.shtml)

CP Performance (http://www.cpperformance.com/detail.aspx?ID=2969)

LKSD
04-02-2007, 04:01 PM
Our price is actually currently better than CP's.. We are a procharger distributor and installer.

The 496 kit is designed for pre 05' applications. It can be used after 05, but there are other mods that need to be done to handle the kit. Some of these mods are pistons, ecm & fuel system.. This makes is a very $$$ thing to do on the late model ones. Whipple also makes kits that we sell for the early & late model ones, however then you still have the piston dilema on the late model units.. (whipple supplies a fuel kit & reflashed ecm to work on the 496)..

Other options instead of supercharging to think of are the Raylar kits & Az kits which we sell & also install..

There is actually a good ammount of stuff that can be done with the 496, it just gets pricey.. :) Jamie / Lakeside

undertaker
04-02-2007, 05:57 PM
Well, the warranty is up and I'm thinking of a set of Chargers for my 496 hos. Does anyone have any knowledge-input on the 496ho/charger experience. I'm going to pm Jamie for a quote...

OH YEAH!!!!!:eek!: :eek!: :eek!: Its about time.....:wink: :wink:

Undertaker:) :pimp:

You will finally be able to KEEP UP with me after the superchargers get installed....:) :) :bonk:

Sofa King
04-03-2007, 08:07 PM
My 454 is running VERY strong! Just took it out yesterday and passed everything but the gas station. It seems to just be breaking in. Engine should be good for a couple of thousand hours, It's almost time for my annual oil change, every spring weather it needs it or not!

jeff85m
04-04-2007, 02:16 PM
i installed a whipple unit on my 40th anniversary classic 22, 496 ho mag. the most difficult part was the black and white photos in the installation guide. you really cant see the installation arrows as to what goes where. i'm an expert do it your selfer, and the install took about 30 hours, including a fuel pressure, and boost gauge. performance is well, starling. i have 89 hours on it with no problems at all! no leaks, no smoke just smiles. it is a good combination i believe because the power the boat had to begin with was strong and now it hardly ever shows any boost when just buzzing around, in other words it does'nt work hard at all. best run so far is 89 mph on gps at 5200 rpm, full fuel and 2 people on board, and that is fast enough for me .

Johntrip
04-04-2007, 03:47 PM
I put about 150-200 hrs annually on my motors. I've been told that a more frequent oil change with the superchargers is needed (15-30 hrs). If that is the case, I'll need a servicing monthly....(ouch) Because I cross open water into the bahamas, dependability is the most important thing. What I'm going to do first is a compression test on my pistons (tomorrow) and see if they are strong. If so, I will proceed to enhance hp in some fashion that will still give me the dependability I need....

Johntrip
04-04-2007, 04:15 PM
A set of CMI headers are more expensive than the SuperChargers...:confused:

LKSD
04-04-2007, 05:06 PM
John, As I mentioned the other day on the phone a leak down test would be a good idea too.. ;) Jamie

fasttrucker
04-07-2007, 03:49 PM
Our price is actually currently better than CP's.. We are a procharger distributor and installer.
The 496 kit is designed for pre 05' applications. It can be used after 05, but there are other mods that need to be done to handle the kit. Some of these mods are pistons, ecm & fuel system.. This makes is a very $$$ thing to do on the late model ones. Whipple also makes kits that we sell for the early & late model ones, however then you still have the piston dilema on the late model units.. (whipple supplies a fuel kit & reflashed ecm to work on the 496)..
Other options instead of supercharging to think of are the Raylar kits & Az kits which we sell & also install..
There is actually a good ammount of stuff that can be done with the 496, it just gets pricey.. :) Jamie / Lakeside
The pricey thing is true.John I would go with the raylar kit and stainless marine exhaust for relibility crossing over to the bahamas:boat:

undertaker
04-08-2007, 08:45 AM
i installed a whipple unit on my 40th anniversary classic 22, 496 ho mag. the most difficult part was the black and white photos in the installation guide. you really cant see the installation arrows as to what goes where. i'm an expert do it your selfer, and the install took about 30 hours, including a fuel pressure, and boost gauge. performance is well, starling. i have 89 hours on it with no problems at all! no leaks, no smoke just smiles. it is a good combination i believe because the power the boat had to begin with was strong and now it hardly ever shows any boost when just buzzing around, in other words it does'nt work hard at all. best run so far is 89 mph on gps at 5200 rpm, full fuel and 2 people on board, and that is fast enough for me .

89 MPH????? how much boost?? 89 sounds real STRONG:lookaroun: don't know to many 22 classics that run that STRONG..

Undertaker

undertaker
04-08-2007, 08:51 AM
A set of CMI headers are more expensive than the SuperChargers...:confused:

Stop screwing around with the 496's and drop two 525's in there:wink: :wink: .

Seriously I would do the exhaust stainless marine in your salt enviroment and the raylar stuff is pretty nice IMO. I would tend to stay away from the superchargers in the 496's even though you have the early ones with the better internals. Good luck.

Bring that bad boy up to AOTH this year (you can follow poodle so you do not get lost:) ) would like to run with ya again....:) :)

Undertaker:cool:

jeff85m
04-18-2007, 10:12 AM
the kit puts 6 psi of boost, very modest. i converted to full roller rockers removed the exhaust turbulators, running no mufflers, all synthetic lubes and a hydromotive 28" quad four. garmin gps 89 mph with a slight tail wind.

LKSD
04-19-2007, 07:34 AM
John, Just curious if you got the engines leak down tested & compression tested yet.. If you did I was wondering what you ended up finding.. :) Jamie / Lakeside

Johntrip
04-19-2007, 08:59 AM
No..... have'nt had the chance... Wanted to catch up on all the cosmetics I commited myself to first. Invested over 6,000.00 in new vinyl, gauges, horn, lights, carpet, powder coating, and swim ladder. But, I'm gettin the sunpad back tomorrow and I'm installing the ladder tonight and I'm done!!

LKSD
04-19-2007, 09:04 AM
No problem... I was just curious.. :) Jamie

undertaker
04-19-2007, 10:35 AM
the kit puts 6 psi of boost, very modest. i converted to full roller rockers removed the exhaust turbulators, running no mufflers, all synthetic lubes and a hydromotive 28" quad four. garmin gps 89 mph with a slight tail wind.

Fair enough....:) :) you got a nice running 22...good luck with it..:) :)

Undertaker:pimp: