PDA

View Full Version : Spam programs who is best!

MOP
03-30-2007, 08:52 PM
I need to get some spam software what are you guys running and how effective is it.

Phil

Johntrip
03-30-2007, 09:34 PM
Are you having a problem with pop up spam....??

MOP
03-31-2007, 01:30 PM
Junk Mail! My other half handled a trip to Portugal via the net, I get junk mail with our phone number and others with our address. I get about 200 a day!!

Carl C
03-31-2007, 05:48 PM
My AT&T Yahoo mail set-up does a great job of seperating the spam. I don't know how it knows the difference but it does.

Johntrip
03-31-2007, 07:05 PM
As far as junk e-mail goes, your best bet is to look at the settings in your e-mail program. I use Hotmail and Outlook. I have'nt been able to get rid of all the junk but it did help when I adjusted the settings. On hotmail I had to mark the e-mail as junk and from then on it would auto put it in the junk folder. It takes a while to make a diff. but eventually you'll catch up with it. I hope this helps ya....

McGary911
03-31-2007, 07:10 PM
If you're getting spammed that bad at an address, sometimes you have to just start over. That's not a bad thing. There's a bunch of people that I knew, who I'd like to forget my email address. I didn't tell them my new one.

I've bounced from ISP to ISP for a couple of years, and got sick of telling people new addresses. Now I use my gmail account. I can manage that locally, no matter what ISP I happen to be putting up with at the moment.

If you have to sign up for things that need a legit address...and you have to reply...check out www.mailinator.com.

Carl C
04-01-2007, 07:22 AM
Make sure "SpamGuard Plus" or it's equivalent is turned on. :computer:

Formula Jr
04-05-2007, 11:18 PM
Sorry to say; but, you have to start over with a new email address.

I understand the pain of that........

:shocking:

vonkamp
04-06-2007, 07:29 AM
If you dont have a good anti spyware program, this may help http://www.lavasoft.com/products/ad-aware_se_personal.php

It seems to work for me. If I start getting spam, I can usually trace it back to a website that dropped some spyware on my computer. I was surprised at the websites that will do that (overstock.com for example).

MOP
04-06-2007, 09:30 AM
I bit the bullet and changed my AD, it went to over the predicted 400. I had a chat with my provider who had just returned from a seminar on all this evil stuff, he said now a days 85% of the spam email comes from computers used as drones for the spam companies. Apparently the infect home user computers with their spam program which feeds off all in & out mail, the spam company just adds clients to the drone machines and it grows & grows. Congress passed a very strong spam bill last year now we have four times as much!!!!!!!

Phil

Formula Jr
04-06-2007, 01:16 PM
Phil, you might find this link to be of some interest regarding spam.

http://www.wwltv.com/gumbo/20050519PortDetective.htm

There is a certain way that people behave that lets drone machines be more prolific. Its usually a new computer user with children and with broadband.

The average time it takes for an unprotected PC to be infected with some sort of adware or malware once its connected to broadband is four minutes.

I get tapped all the time to figure out whats wrong with people's machines.
They will say it started acting sluggish. And I'll look at their broadband port and it will be all lit up all the time even if they aren't intentionally sending or recieving. Then they will tell me its been doing that for about a year and they just stopped using it since it was so slow. But they don't turn them off. As you know XP will put up an idle screen after a while even when its running a background process.

I've awakened machines that had as many as 14 backgound processes running.

AVG 7.5 is the best thing since sliced bread.

You really need three e-mail addresses.
One you guard like a password. Only trusted people get this one.
One you use on sites like this one which are still vulnerable to address mining.
And one that you give out to anyone including those pesky relatives and friends that like to send out CC emails.

I include a fourth which I never use, but its the only address in my address book. I keep real addresses in a different place and cut and paste them in. If I get a message from that special address, I know my system or my ISP has been compromised.

I have to take these extra steps since I also have to open strange attached files all the time from people I don't really know.

BUIZILLA
04-06-2007, 02:40 PM
FJ, I have a quick question....

today after my daily AVG cleansing, I got 3 hits in the hit box, it says something about *change* in the results column...

user32.dll

shell32.dll

ntoskrnl.exe

something is obviously running on the backside, but after the AVG scan it says I have no threats, and no infections?? my RegCure, AdAware and SpySweeper all say everything is clean also

what's up with this, and how do I clean it?? I know something is biting my backside

dfunde01
04-06-2007, 03:02 PM
The real problem is the stupid fools that purchase something from a spam e-mail. No sales volume and you'll have no spam.

Formula Jr
04-06-2007, 08:54 PM
All three changes are related. MS updated part of its XP kernal.
You got that during your usual MS Updates.
AVG depends on looking at what should be a stable Kernal.
This is about MS not talking to AVG. Its not a virus.
It isn't somethng to really worry about till these two figure it out.

Go to your AVG Test center and tell it to accept the changes.

You can also delete the file named AVG7QT.DAT in C:\

And restart/ rerun AVG. It will recreate the DAT file.

Actually, Thank you for pointing this out. I was also wondering why XP was being so freaking slow on new installs. We do the MS updates and use AVG on the machines we builld. There was a noticeable slow down.

pmreed
04-07-2007, 04:40 PM
I'm currently running the Avast antivirus program as recommended by another member. In the past, I've encountered problems trying to run two AV programs, as they have conflicts that cause them both to blow up. AVG sounds great, but, can I run it in concert with Avast or must I delete Avast to run AVG. Or, is the Avast OK as is.

Thanks, Phil