PDA

View Full Version : Where to mount radio?

Cuda
03-30-2007, 06:27 PM
Any suggestions? It had a pos radio mounted under the dash when I bought it, with pos little speakers hanging there also.

dclassic
03-30-2007, 08:40 PM
I like the subtle options so that you are not cutting the boat up. That being said, I am one of those guys that likes to keep things looking god for the next owner :) . I would either hang it in a separate enclosure, probably a bit like it was, or mount it in the side behind the dash, like where your lanyard is hanging (either side). I would not want to mess up the nice original dash. Of course, with a nice big block, who needs a stereo? Nice boat, good problem to have... enjoy:cool!:

Cuda
03-30-2007, 08:54 PM
I like the subtle options so that you are not cutting the boat up. That being said, I am one of those guys that likes to keep things looking god for the next owner :) . I would either hang it in a separate enclosure, probably a bit like it was, or mount it in the side behind the dash, like where your lanyard is hanging (either side). I would not want to mess up the nice original dash. Of course, with a nice big block, who needs a stereo? Nice boat, good problem to have... enjoy:cool!:
I agree, and then I'll have to cut speaker holes. :(

I've had my Formula for four years. I had the stereo stolen out of it after I had it about a year, and I've never replaced it. It doesn't really matter, because you can't hear it anyway over the twin big blocks, and I'm not much of one for anchoring, or rafting up. If I'm in a boat, I want to be boating.

Debbie thinks she needs a radio. I offered to sing for her. :)

ATLDONZI
03-30-2007, 08:59 PM
well When i bought my sweet 16 i didnt want to booger it all up with a big cd player since there isnt a lot of room so i use my ipod as a source... I have a punch shallow mount 12 up in the bow and two mb quart 6 1/2's and a polk amp hidden in the bow as well.. I still have all of my original storage areas and it friggin rocks.. i have a volume knob and thats it.. all hidden to preserve the classic look!

MOP
03-30-2007, 09:04 PM
Joe my 16 had the speakers bracket mounted under the dash at a 45 degree angle facing aft, the radio was by my right leg in the side of the foot well. I worked well and was splash proof real important in a 16! The brackets were 3/8"X1/2" aluminum stock bolted to the tops of the foot wells when you looked under all you saw was the heads of the 1/4-20 counter sunk screws.

Phil

MOP
03-30-2007, 09:06 PM
Qoute: Debbie thinks she needs a radio. I offered to sing for her.

Try humming it seems to soothe them:bonk:

catch 22
03-31-2007, 08:18 AM
Debbie thinks she needs a radio. I offered to sing for her. :)[/QUOTE]
Joe, looks like you'll be boating more on Wednesday nights:biggrin.: :biggrin.:

BigGrizzly
03-31-2007, 09:41 AM
I have a radio in the Criterion and I have used it 4 times since 1999. The speaker grills are rusting sound isn't great, and you can't hear them at 80 anyway. The only good it is to me is access holes in the side of the cockpit. Oh BTW the radio is in the glove box and out of sight.

mrfixxall
03-31-2007, 10:30 AM
cuda all you need is a ipod with a rca cable adaptor, a 3 channel amp and a box mounted under the the bow with 2 6x9's and a 12'' sub...works gteat...

mphatc
03-31-2007, 10:46 AM
I'm with Randy here . . you can't hear it anyways at 80 MPH . .

my stereo speakers are about 10' behind me , two exhaust outlets on the transom. :)
The biggest problem for these has been the expense of the amplifier . .( read as: "engine") . . and the cost of fuel to turn it on . . . :wink:

sadly I don't get to hear it enough . . :(

Mario