PDA

View Full Version : Turbo 2+2 on a 22C??????

Stevo440
03-30-2007, 05:31 PM
I'm curious about runnin a Turbo 2+2 24"p on a 2001 454mag/mpi 22C? What are the + and -'s of this prop. Am runnin a Turbo 1 25"p now at 4600-4700rpm at an indicated not gps of 73mph and like the way the boat handles/performs with this prop verses the M+ 23"p stock prop at 5000-5100rpm at an indicated 72mph.
I'm lookin for more rpm tryin to get back to 5000rpm so with the prop in question 2+2 will I be above/below/equal to 4600-4700rpm, and also the above questions +'s and -'s of this type prop.
I'm guessin = or < rpm's, but curious about the characteristics of the prop.
Thanks
Steve

MOP
03-30-2007, 06:29 PM
Generally an inch of pitch will either add or subtract 200 rpm, which is borne out by your own prop swap. You should be at 4900 with the 24, every boat even exact duplicates power and hull will get varying results!

Stevo440
03-30-2007, 06:49 PM
Thanks MOP, but the 2+2 is a 4 blade prop and the T1 is a 3 blade prop so the 1" pitch change will give me approx 200 more rpms but what will the extra blade do to that? Take it back or ????

BigGrizzly
03-30-2007, 06:57 PM
The 2=2 is a 4 blade with a 14 1/4 diameter. the turbo is the same diameter. both give bow lift the 2=2 will give about the same rpms in a 24 that the Turbo one does. It should be more stable trimed all the way out. The data is very sparce on that prop on a Donzi hull. I would rather go with a TXP 3 hlade with the same pitch to see If it works for you. Or the Fusion if the 4 blade is what you want. if it is just Rpms go to a 24 turbo. Btw are these speeds GPS or speedo. Steve I am over here in Dawsonville Ga off of 53 on lanier. I think I have a Fusion in stock as well as some others. Dwhite still has my 25 and 26 Fusion so we can't do them yet. Your close and It doesn't cost anything to try them. Its up to you.You can ask all day but untill you try it you will never really know

Stevo440
03-31-2007, 10:26 AM
Randy the speeds I stated were indicated meaning not GPS, I should have been more specific but for my situation it is all I have to go by at the moment.
Yes we are cloose, I'm over here at Lake Altoonafish, and your at Lanier. I've been on Lanier twice with the Donzi its an interesting lake, I have'nt ventured to far from where I launched cause I did'nt wanna get lost..... I was on Lanier I guess 2 yrs ago and met with tmdog at the ramp and thats where I got my Turbo 1 from. I tried a vector also and definetely did not like it, that turbo 1 was just like night and day, but the rpm's are alittle to low but still night and day over the Mirage+. Btw I'm always interested in playin with props so I'm game for whatever ya got. That's why I'm askin about the 2+2 and I know it would probably be better if it was a 23"p, but I'm curious just the same ya never know till ya try. I would love ta try a 24p Turbo 1 but I've been lookin and am patientely waiting.
Steve

BigGrizzly
03-31-2007, 06:55 PM
Funny TMdog bough another turbo this summer. Then seems hr dissapesred. Mu cell was stolen and with it went his phone number. We can set up some kind of testing here because I have a dock with 2 hydrohoist in it so we don't have to re trailer the boat for every prop. I also have a few GPS s so we can really get it done. Like you said you don't know till you try.

Stevo440
04-01-2007, 04:52 PM
Grizz I PM'd and emailed ya, I think??????

Sam
04-08-2007, 09:12 PM
Griz, what's the story behind the "Fusion". Any idea on how it compares to a 4 blade Hydromotive I.E. Bow lift vs. stern lift.

BigGrizzly
04-09-2007, 07:08 PM
The Fusion was designed as a rough water performance prop. I put one on Air22 and he told me he really liked it. Running next to him in the Gulf the boat looked great and in total control. He had a Hydro on it before. It is direct competition for the Hydro. When I tried it on my rig I really liked it. I have them making me one in my size. This is suppose to be a stock item in my pitch but it had not happened, but will soon.

Sam
04-10-2007, 10:13 AM
I would love to try one, maybe at AOTH.

BigGrizzly
04-11-2007, 07:41 PM
common on up-- I hate the word down

Sam
04-11-2007, 08:00 PM
I'll be there !

FlyingDutchman76
04-14-2007, 08:47 AM
Randy,

My 22 is de-winterized and ready for summer usage. We need to improve it drastically. I do not think Gary can make me an engine that fits my current budget (My fleet got hit by tornado on January 5th. Eight vehicles damaged severly (all 2006 and 2007 models) and insurance hit me for the deductable of $2500 per vehicle, not to mention loss of income, due to their downtime) So that hurt me financially. I'll be ready for a new high-performance engine in the fall. For now we can make some more cost effective changes to improve performance.

BigGrizzly
04-14-2007, 09:15 AM
This is the easy part. Lets get together and start where we left off, the prop and exhaust part. Let us see where we stand on the prop testing first then put together a plan to add mods that will carry over to the fall mods so that we don't buy short term mods. For example an exhaust will carry over to another engine. Garry and I can get anything out there what he is not a seller or distributor for I am. Let us design a "Johan SE". We may find something very neat and powerful for you. Some new and innovative stuff is being worked on as we speak. On the other side I don't know how long the 750HP 87 octane motors are going to be finished and sold. Right now racing season is here and he is getting a new team hat every day. Get a day next week and come over with the boat and we will put it on the lift, take a quick car ride to Garry's, have a little lunch and put a plan together and test some props.

BigGrizzly
04-14-2007, 09:19 AM
Steve I have not forgotten you I an waiting for some props to fit your application. There was some confusion on what I wanted. Probably caused by me!

Stevo440
04-14-2007, 10:38 AM
Thanks for keepin me in mine, I'm still here biding my time, I've learned nothin happens overnite. I have'nt wet the boat yet this season, so just let me know when and I'll work it into my schedule. Thanks again......

BigGrizzly
04-14-2007, 11:26 AM
This weekend end looks bad anyway! We will get it done not a problem.

Stevo440
05-28-2007, 01:51 PM
Well I finally got the boat in the water for the first time this season yesterday sun. the 27th. I had purchased a Turbo 2+2 TH from someone on this site. Well I took off the Turbo 1 25p and installed the 24p 2+2 and headed to the lake. Filled the tank, had 4 people total, all our stuff a tube, a wake board oh and the Turbo 1 prop just incase the 2+2 was'nt any good. Well for my boat 2001 22C 454mag the change from a Mirage + 23p to the Turbo 1 25p was amazing, made
the boat fun to drive and everyone enjoyed it alot more. Well the change to the 2+2 from the T1 was amazing all over again. With the M+ change to the T1 the boat felt more stable at high speed and porpised a whole lot less and no chine walking. Well with the T1 change to the 2+2 the boat got on plane faster, did have a tendency to porpise more than the T1, needed alot less trim, but the boat was soooooo much more stable at high speed then either of the other props. I was able to cruise at speeds I would'nt even think of with the other props. It took bigger waves way better, like they were'nt even there. I never felt like I was close to being out of control or on the edge. Again my speedo is not GPS, with the M+ 23p 5000-5100 rpm at speedo indicated 71-72 thats with 2 people onboad and 3/4 tank. With T1 25p 4600-4700 rpm at speedo indicated 72-73 with 2 people and 3/4 tank. With 2+2 24p 4900-5000 rpm at speedo indicated 68-69 speedo indicated with 4 people gear and full tank. I still need time to play with the prop it was pretty crowded on the lake, choppy. But I did race some guy in a Pachanga, and I hope I did'nt hurt his feelings too bad. More to come on this prop as I get time to use the boat, workin 7 days a week leaves little time to play, yesturday I had to play hookey, and it was well worth it......
PS Grizz I'm still lookin forward to tryin somemore props whenever!!!!!

zimm17
05-28-2007, 08:05 PM
I tried a hydro QIV 24p and a fusion 24p at Lake Cumberland (Thanks to precision props and Big Griz). With my 2" shorty lower end, I couldn't plane without full tabs with the 25p turbo 1 that I had. The hydro did much better, but the Fusion was even better for my application. It came up on plane easily with no tabs. The seller for me was the midrange- I ran 50mph at 3500rpm (GPS) where the hydro was 43mph at 3500rpm. 7mph difference in cruise! To me that's HUGE. Top end was 70mph with the fusion, 69 with the hydro- but the hydro only let me to 4800rpm where the fusion was 5000rpm.

Anyway, I'm ordering a fusion tomorrow. Now that the blower is on and I'm finished up the details, I'll need to go 29 or 30p.

BigGrizzly
05-29-2007, 09:50 AM
Streve with you working 7 days a week It will pretty much up to you. I am here up untill lake George then out of here from the 13 of June to 21. But call and we can set up a time. My boats are ready and in the water. So fixing the trailer for George is all I have to do.