PDA

View Full Version : Hey Brownie, I have a 19' question.

f_inscreenname
03-30-2007, 04:52 PM
Hey A.B.
I have a question I hope you can answer about the 19’. I am in the process of installing a 454 in my boat and I am trying to get it lined up to the Volvo 280T. The issue is when the motor is in straight according to the bell housing and transom shield it looks crooked to the stringers. Was it a common practice to off set the motor for torque? I have read that once or twice and if so I am done but if not I have some refiguring to do.
Any help would be appreciated.
Mark

http://i99.photobucket.com/albums/l284/Tail_Gunner_2006/45dg2.jpg?t=1175228003

realbold
04-01-2007, 08:03 AM
I'm no Allan Brown but if the engine is in line with the transom thats where it goes. Those stringers/engine beds are seldom installed perfectly. When I replaced mine I made jigs to hold them centered and upright but I'm sure when its time to install the engine it will also "look" a bit off centered.

f_inscreenname
04-01-2007, 07:39 PM
Someone said on another site that they line up their exhaust for a Volvo and because the way the tail installs it wouldn’t matter if it was off. Being I didn’t want to guess at it I followed the rules when installing a Volvo Penta and did it off the transom shield like you said RB (thanks for the reply). But he did make me think of something. When I had Osco exhaust I would have a hard time getting the right side (in the picture above) on . It was always real tight to get in when the other side was real easy. So it must have been offset all along. It just freaks me out that I never noticed it as many times I have had the motor out.

I may have moved on but I would still like to know if they did offset motors.:)
http://img152.imageshack.us/img152/4829/41713339tt6.jpg

realbold
04-02-2007, 06:37 AM
No problem, looks like you're movin right along........

f_inscreenname
04-03-2007, 05:19 PM
No problem, looks like you're movin right along........
Just not enough time in the day. Hopefully will have it started this weekend and maybe a test drive next.:yes:

vrod02
04-03-2007, 07:21 PM
Hey Mark not trying to be neg. Just thought you might have missed somethin. The last pic looks like your fuel line is in rubbin distance. Could be the angle of the pic.

Morgan's Cloud
04-04-2007, 06:58 AM
Hey Mark ,
I think real is probably right. It seems that these boats were'nt exactly assembled by computerised robots with their ensuing accuracy.
I measured everything a dozen times before I dismantled my toy ..remember it was deck off AND floor out resto .. down to the bare hull. There were noticeable differences in measurements from one side to the other in numerous places ...Now that I think of it I can't remember if I 'straightened it all out' when I re-assambled it ! :bonk: :D
Steve

f_inscreenname
04-04-2007, 04:58 PM
There were noticeable differences in measurements from one side to the other in numerous places ...Now that I think of it I can't remember if I 'straightened it all out' when I re-assambled it ! :bonk: :D
Steve
You may have not wanted to straighten it out. Mine seems fine like it is.
Just like in Nascar, most of the frames have the same templates but one may have a slight difference or screw up and makes the car a lot better then the rest.
That is another thing I like about the old boats. No computers to tell you exactly what is needed down to the ounce of resin or square inch of mat to make it "strong enough". Back in the day if they were worried about something they would slap another layer on, who cares about the weight. It may be a draw back in today's "gas mileage" world but they sure aren't building boats today that last a life time either.

So I guess a another question is.... Is it better to have a older boat with poorer gas mileage and use it (recycle it in a way)........Or.......... Buy a new boat with better gas mileage but it takes all the petroleum products to build it?? Which deal would be better for the environment and our resources in the long run?
I think the first.:wink:

ALLAN BROWN
04-13-2007, 08:07 AM
F'in, sorry for the delay. No, the stringers should be symmetric. Probably a drunk laminator....... By the way, I found the very last Nova boat sticker, and sent it to Clay in Virginia to copy for his wife Sharon's 19' Nova with a #2 Speedmaster. He is going to send me some. Pass the word to the other guys, and we will make them available.

f_inscreenname
04-13-2007, 09:11 PM
Thanks for the reply A.B. It took a while but I figured out the Chrysler that was in it before was “crooked” also. But the boat always drove like it had power steering with a left hand prop so it must have worked for it. We will see with the 454. Its lined up with the transom shield like it should be but the motor mounts on the stringers are higher and tighter to the motor on one side and the other is lower and further away from the motor. It should work but I am holding my breath until the first ride.
So how is Clay and Sharon doing with the Nova ? I hope well. Took all I could to get it sold. I asked William a hundred times to take a picture that you could see and to take the damn boots off of it.
Oh well, its got a good home now. That’s all that matters.
As for the Nova Marine sticker, I would love to have one and will pass it on to the few I am still in contact with. I’m sure the word will get out from there soon enough. Thanks and just let me know what is needed to make it happen.
Also I hoped you liked the Soul Deep picture signed by Jon . He has been trying to get in touch with you if you haven’t already and would love to hear from you. He’s some big shot in Hollywood now but will never forget you and his first paying job.
Thanks again.
Mark

realbold
04-14-2007, 11:57 AM
By the way, I found the very last Nova boat sticker, and sent it to Clay in Virginia to copy for his wife Sharon's 19' Nova with a #2 Speedmaster. He is going to send me some. Pass the word to the other guys, and we will make them available.
Thanks for the info, Allan. I let the guys know at NMXtreme.com
There's a bunch of originals over there, including Sharon's.