PDA

View Full Version : Advice on a '89 23 Z...what engine?

rood
03-29-2007, 10:02 PM
Just bought a 89 23 Donzi Z. BUt it has no engine?the rest is in pretty good shape..Just need to give it some TLC & a good engine?
Can anyone point me in the right direction?or give me some good tips..I will post pics later..:wink:

Trueser
03-29-2007, 11:25 PM
What drive? You can run a 350mag or a big block

rood
03-30-2007, 02:53 PM
The guy I bought it from had a 700hp engine in it.....If im not mistaken he told me that the drive can handle 1000hp.That would make it a Bravo something?what do you think about a mercruiser 502? :confused:

zelatore
03-30-2007, 03:11 PM
OK, time to stop beating around the bush. We all know the real answer:

The biggest one you can afford!

Speed costs money. How fast do you want to go?

:hyper:

Don

Donzigo
03-31-2007, 09:59 AM
The boat came with and was designed for a 350 engine. The Bravo would be a good choice and maybe even a 454; but, to think that this hull design would handle a 1,000 HP engine is wishful thinging. Here's why. It is a very short boat for that kind of HP and truth be known, your boat probably has some stringer and transom issues, if it's like every other Z boat of this vintage. Have it checked out by a professional or do the tests with a ball pinned hammer yourself by tapping on the stringers and transom. I have had a Z-25 & currently a Z-33 & both produce speeds of around 60 MPH, again as designed by Don Westerman. Your boat, with a 350 should give speeds in the 50 to 60 MPH range. Your boat is a heavy boat and will give you and your guests a very stable ride; but, a speed demon, it is not. Having said that, there are those who put heavy HP in little boats and they are blistering fast. But, those Donzi owners are also aware of the inherent dangers and most have lots of seat time logged and they take the calculated risks that come with the HP........it's your call as to where you fit in that population of Donzi mariners.

Good luck, you've got a classic boat with great lines.

Richard