PDA

View Full Version : Calling All Volvo Exsperts!

Tank
03-28-2007, 08:36 AM
Hi all
I will soon be the proud owner of a Donzi 19’ St Tropez!!!:yes:
With a Volvo SP drive, I like Volvo but know nothing of this one.
Can you tell me good and bad of this drive!
Years made?
How is the power trim?
Props? Where to go for them!
I think some on the list might be a dealer for SS?
Any tricks or tips on this drive would be welcome!!
I will have more info and ??????
When I take delivery of the boat.
Tanks to all!
Tank

Morgan's Cloud
03-28-2007, 09:34 AM
Hey Brian ,
Have you run that thing yet ? ?
To date all of my Volvo experience has been with the 270 and 280 units and they were trim-less.
The 280 was almost identical (visually) to the 270 except for the exhaust vented anti-ventilation plate on the 280. Your unit I, believe, was referred to as the '290' even though it has a sticker proclaiming "SP" on the side.
The 280 was probably a better unit than the much vaunted 270 (probably mostly in it's ability to handle a bit more power). Is the 290 (or SP) better than the 280 ? Maybe Phil can tell us. My guess is that very few folks here have much experience with them.
My Volvo experience is actually about to start again with the newest SX/A single prop unit. I look forward to a long and trouble free life even in the salt if it's anything like it's predecessors.
Don't worry , if you've not owned a Volvo before , I think you'll be pleasantly surprised.
Steve

BigGrizzly
03-28-2007, 06:46 PM
if it is Brownie's ST tropas it is a 290 drive . the power trim is goos and durable the drive is stronger than a bravo. as for ss props I sell them. the internals of this drive are the same as the 280 and 270 drives, parts are stii around and not hard to find.

MOP
03-28-2007, 07:24 PM
Simply put! "MAYTAG"

LKSD
03-29-2007, 07:05 AM
We sell the volvo parts if ya need any.. & yes I also agree the VP units are good if maintained... We still see a lot of old ones come in running strong.. :) Jamie / Lakeside

Tank
03-29-2007, 10:23 AM
Hi all
Tanks Big Griz for the info just what I thought it’s a good thing, and stronger than Bravo, very good.
HO and yes it is Brownie’s.
I will keep you in mined for a prop first I need to see what she will do now!
HI MOP
My washer never left me stranded in the Schnook inlet with a faulty intermittent cut off switch!!! The 188 in my 23 formula did! Bouncing off those BIG rocks mad me wish I had my Volvo from years before it never left my stranded!
But I ramble GOOD to here from you !! Maybe we will meet some day!
Hi jw
I have seen your posts and adds are you close to lake Wallinpallpack?
Keep you in mind for parts any Maintains suggestions?

UPS almost forgot STEVE
No not yet! I must say Allan Brown Is a GOOD man to wait and help set me up with a shipper!! I will have it by end of next month if all goes well with the shipper.
GOOD luck with you new SX/A It should be very good.
I rebuilt my old Volvo 270 and I like the simplicity!

Well I must go back to work make some moooonnnnyyyyy.

LKSD
03-29-2007, 10:42 AM
Hi jw
I have seen your posts and adds are you close to lake Wallinpallpack?
Keep you in mind for parts any Maintains suggestions?

No problem & thanks.. :)

I am about 1 hour away (south) from Lk WallenPaupack..

As far as service / Maint . Do regular oil changes, tune ups & impeller services.. Also regularly change the drive lube with good stuff & keep an eye on the boots.. If you should ever rip, puncture or crack one get it taken care of ASAP.. If they eat the bearings in the gimble they are a real p.i.t.a... :) Other than that enjoy the new ride.. :) Jamie / Lakeside