PDA

View Full Version : A couple questions on restoring engine compartment

laidback027
03-27-2007, 08:58 AM
I own a 1996 Red White 22C that I am trying to redo the engine compartment. Should I try to sand or scrape the old gel/bilge coat off or just try what some other members have done and use the fiberglass diamond plate and cover it up? What is the best way to get the Gel/bilge coat off?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Brett
Jacksonville, Fl

gcarter
03-27-2007, 09:21 AM
Why not try a 4 1/4" grinder w/some 60-80 grit stick on sanding disks and knock the high spots off. It just gives it a nice level look. Then use International white Bilge-Kote paint. It looks great, cleans up easily, it's easily repaired, and shiny. BTW, the price is right also.

98shovel
03-27-2007, 09:47 AM
we use a da sander with 6" paper start with 36 or 40 then move up to 60 or 80 then u can recoat with whatever u likefor topcoat auto paint does require a finer grit paper as a finish so make your choice on paint then follow its rec. for what grit to finish in

hardcrab
03-27-2007, 05:01 PM
use the suggestions submitted above.

just covering over the surface will leave voids. the surface will remain constantly wet and any debris / sand is trapped; deteriorating what got covered up.

MOP
03-27-2007, 08:19 PM
I just saw George's bilge in person the sanding was worth the effort looked great and now agree white is a good choice, I used a stripper in a drill to get all the loose stuff and went with Bilge Coat in Battleship Gray!

phil

RickR
03-28-2007, 07:02 AM
Unless they changed their name, Bilge-Kote is a Interlux product.
BTW: I have NOT been satisfied with the aluminum diamond plate. A little salt water and battery acid and it looks well used :(
White Bilge-Kote

gcarter
03-28-2007, 07:17 AM
Unless they changed their name, Bilge-Kote is a Interlux product.
I think Interlux is a line of products from International Paints....which is owned by Akzo-Nobel.

http://www.yachtpaint.com/usa/default.asp

I tried to use a link directly to the Bilgekote page, but you have to manipulate your way there......

rustnrot
03-28-2007, 07:20 AM
I have had super luck using Rust Oleum garage floor or basement paint that you get at Lowes or Home Depot. It comes in gray, is two part and, unlike an oil based paint, dries fast and hard as nails and does not peel off (at least yet) if covered with oil and water for a period of time. I guess you could throw the paint flakes on but I leave those off!!

A gallon did the inside of the 16' fiberglass hull on the Gar Wood speedster I had at Mt. Dora.

Rootsy
03-28-2007, 07:46 AM
white bilgekote rocks... just remember... "SLIPPERY WHEN WET"

BTW, talk to madpoodle before you venture to west marine...

laidback027
03-28-2007, 08:26 PM
Thanks>>>I'll post pics when I am done, hopefully before May.:dolphin:

Air 22
03-28-2007, 09:42 PM
My 95' RED 22C has polished diamond plate in for 4 years now....and I won best in show last year at the owners rally.:wink: Like anything it takes some work to keep it that way otherwise it will oxidize...but it sure looks nice if u keep it clean..:yes:]

http://www.atlanticcoastdonzi.com/gallery/members_air22/DSCN1239

http://www.atlanticcoastdonzi.com/gallery/members_air22/008_7A_001