PDA

View Full Version : Conspiracy theory #2

Sofa King
03-26-2007, 07:58 PM
Why is diesel the same price or more than super? It used to be about .20 less than regular. It cost much less to refine as it's the first cut in the refining process.
I'm not buying the heating oil deal for the houses up North, watch the price in the summer.

This is pure unadulterated horse ****!
Mr. Valero (VLO)

Donziweasel
03-27-2007, 08:51 AM
I agree. This was supposedly the warmest winter in history so why are the gas companies saying demand for heating oil has raised diesel prices? It was 3 1/2 years ago when deisel was cheaper than regular. I burn about 160,000 gallons of diesel a year and it has really hurt my bottom line. It still evens out as I get much better gas mileage with my diesels, but still killing my profits.:confused: :mad:

We are simply being taken advantage of.

Craig S
03-27-2007, 09:12 AM
For some reason, diesel is not encouraged here in the us. Maybe the way we test emissions? Or the efforts of the oil companies? In Europe, it seems diesels are available across the line. :confused:

BigGrizzly
03-27-2007, 05:54 PM
King you do realize that you can make more high test with a gallon of crude than diesel. Just though I would let you know. This is one minor point that people overlook. As for GM they have to bring their fleet average down and the diesel won't do it. Also believe it or not there just isn't enough demand for the diesel. I to would like to have diesel Expedition for long hauls only, since we use it for events only. It does do 14 mpg towing the Criterion on the hi-way.

ChromeGorilla
03-28-2007, 01:05 PM
Why is it more than gas?

First of all it isn't always more than gas. I have seen it as cheap as or right near the price of regular in some places.

The biggest reason is most states have a higher state fuel tax on diesel than they do on gasoline.

DonziJon
03-29-2007, 01:33 PM
I remember WHEN diesel started to go up. It was back in the 70s when gas lines were all the rage and GM went and made a gas engine into a diesel and put it in a Cadillac..or was it a Chevy Cavalier. I think they called it a Cimeron or something. The people that drove Cadillacs didn't want it. It made noise and it stunk. The Oil Companys saw this little shenanigan and said "Okey Dokey" .....and hasn't looked back since. John :bonk:

Now if we could burn corn cobs right out of the hopper, like feeding wood into a chipper,..... the price of corn cobs would go up. Look what happened to the price of water once people started to drink it out of bottles.

chappy
03-30-2007, 06:44 AM
It was back in the 70s when gas lines were all the rage and GM went and made a gas engine into a diesel and put it in a Cadillac..or was it a Chevy Cavalier. I think they called it a Cimeron or something.

I remember the Cadillac Cimmaron, it was a 4 door Chevy Cavalier all dressed up, and I agree, I don't remember seeing many of them on the road.

Rich

Craig S
03-30-2007, 08:51 AM
fwiw, I think it was the Nova based 76-79 Cadillac Seville that received the Olds diesel (starting in 1978) . It already was running on the Olds 350 V-8, so was pretty far along in gas version. And when the fwd Eldo and the "humpmobile" fwd Seville of 80-85 came out, it also was available in diesel (79-85 for the Eldo, 80-85 for the Seville).

Did they ever put the diesel in the J car (Cavalier/Cimarron)? I remember my mum looked at one (well, at least it was a later V-6 version!)...and fortunately kept looking.

DonziJon
03-30-2007, 01:35 PM
Did they ever put the diesel in the J car (Cavalier/Cimarron)? I remember my mum looked at one (well, at least it was a later V-6 version!)...and fortunately kept looking.

Craig: I think you may be right. I don't remember actually seeing/noticing a diesel in the full size Cadillac. Maybe they were quieter than I thought and never caught my attention. I may be confusing my "mortification" when I first saw a Cavalier with Cadillac badges on it,... with the Gas engine turned Diesel story.

Don't know why, but I was also "mortified" when Mercedes came out with a "Station Wagon". John

Cuda
03-30-2007, 04:11 PM
Why is it more than gas?
First of all it isn't always more than gas. I have seen it as cheap as or right near the price of regular in some places.
The biggest reason is most states have a higher state fuel tax on diesel than they do on gasoline.
It's been higher than gas since I bought my first diesel (1996), the lone exception was right after Katrina, when gas was so high.

BigGrizzly
03-30-2007, 07:44 PM
I explained that before. It takes more crude to make a gallon of diesel then gas. Now diesel will haul more weight per displacement. Example if you haul a 10000 pound trailer in a excursion with a diesel and another with a 5.4 the deisel will probable win, if you haul a 22 classic in the same two the 5.4 will win the economy race. I did some checking an found thaqt dropping diesel engines was for survival. The EPA regs are getting tighter on diesels. Diesel isn't dead yet. Honda and Mercedes are working on building clean diesels as is Ford and Chevy. Like it or not emissions are here to stay The writing has been on the wall since the late 1960s. AS for the Cimmerion it was a black eye from day one.