PDA

View Full Version : Ran the 16 v-6 yesterday

The Hedgehog
03-26-2007, 09:50 AM
On the first hop the timing was not properly set so we had some serious stumbling. Reset the timing and got better results but the plugs seemed to be the culprit. Changed the plugs and much better.

The boat pulled hard where it was starving before. After getting in and out a bunch I left my GPS back in the big boat so don't have the final answer. Still got some more tweaking to do. So far seems to have picked up 8-10 mph but we shall see. The engine would begin to load up if I stayed in for more than a few seconds. Do you think that it may be that the 600cfm carb is too big or maybe a jetting issue. I am also thinking that maybe the stock flame arrester may be causing it to choke out somewhat at higher RPM. It is pretty small. I will run it today without the flame arrestor to see what happens.

mikev
03-26-2007, 12:23 PM
sounds like all the work is going to pay off. if you can get 8-10 mph more out of the v'6 i might have to do that to mine instead of the v8 swap in the regazza would be alot easier.

BUIZILLA
03-26-2007, 12:27 PM
told ya's...........................

:yes: :cool:

The Hedgehog
03-26-2007, 05:18 PM
told ya's...........................
:yes: :cool:

No doubt about it. And that is without doing some serious homework. If I wanted to keep it N/A I could definately pull some more hp out of the cam and valve train. With boost however, well lookout.

My head guy is thinking that we should be getting around 250 hp or so. Hotrod did a buildup and got north of 300 hp NA and got 500hp blown. I am not looking for anything like that. A nice mild 400hp or so V-6 should provide lots of smiles. The real head scratcher will be the carb box.

MOP
03-26-2007, 06:13 PM
Sounds great V8's are cool but there is nothing like the rush of getting 6 pack to haul azz!

Phil

Last Real Texan
03-26-2007, 06:58 PM
No doubt about it. And that is without doing some serious homework. If I wanted to keep it N/A I could definately pull some more hp out of the cam and valve train. With boost however, well lookout.
My head guy is thinking that we should be getting around 250 hp or so. Hotrod did a buildup and got north of 300 hp NA and got 500hp blown. I am not looking for anything like that. A nice mild 400hp or so V-6 should provide lots of smiles. The real head scratcher will be the carb box.
Bill

I have a guy here that can fab up a great aluminum or Stainless carb box out of sheet stock and then give it a nice pollishing to make the bling factor good. Wont be to bad has a water jet cutting machine and all the stuff to go with it.

Brya

BigGrizzly
03-26-2007, 08:05 PM
Stock flame arrestor too small. Carb too big. Check manifold vacuum at full bore if less than3/4 inch too big.

LKSD
03-27-2007, 06:56 AM
Bill, Sounds like you got it going fairly well though.. :) Jamie

The Hedgehog
03-27-2007, 11:34 AM
Stock flame arrestor too small. Carb too big. Check manifold vacuum at full bore if less than3/4 inch too big.

Yes and yes.

It was much happier without the flame arrestor. Got to get a bigger one. Thought that might be the case. Not near as bad but it still goes soft when you stay in it. Loading up at the upper end.

Will also pick up a 4.3L Calibration kit for the carb. That will give me some different metering rods and jets.

Did not grab the GPS but it runs along happily with the stock speedo buried.

Unforturnately I managed to nick the prop when I took out.:confused: Been in and out of that ramp many times and never found anything bad down there. Our water is up. Must have been lucky in the past. Did not back in quite as far as I used to. Must have caused the bow to rise more and push the stern into the land of Clingons.:bonk:

Newby
03-27-2007, 04:05 PM
For what its worth, I have a stock 1990 4.3 and I installed the same carb. I am not running nearly the same horsepower and don't have tricked out heads, but with the original jets and metering rods, my boat would bogg with rapid opening/movements of the throttle. I installed the appropriate kit with smaller jets and the right rods and springs and it runs much better now. Between the arrestor and the carb, you could see a substantial difference.

The Hedgehog
03-27-2007, 04:56 PM
For what its worth, I have a stock 1990 4.3 and I installed the same carb. I am not running nearly the same horsepower and don't have tricked out heads, but with the original jets and metering rods, my boat would bogg with rapid opening/movements of the throttle. I installed the appropriate kit with smaller jets and the right rods and springs and it runs much better now. Between the arrestor and the carb, you could see a substantial difference.

That is good to know. I will pick it up this afternoon.

What were you seeing on the GPS and what kind of prop were you using?

The Hedgehog
03-27-2007, 06:15 PM
Bill, Sounds like you got it going fairly well though.. :) Jamie

So far so good. Having fun and learning. I think that we will end up with a nice product. Next year - that will be a different story:eek!:

Newby
03-27-2007, 08:26 PM
I have not had a GPS with me yet. The prop is a 21 pitch Mirage Plus.