PDA

View Full Version : "donzi marine" decals for tow vehicle? How about a source for shelby "DONZI" letters

zimm17
03-25-2007, 05:39 PM
Is there a source for any cool Donzi decals for the rear window of my truck?

Also, anyone seen if the stainless "DONZI" lettering that are on the donzi Shelby is available? Seems like a nice way to modernize an older classic.

yeller
03-25-2007, 06:20 PM
You can get the stainless ones through a Donzi dealer. I can't remember the exact price. It was either $400 or $600.

zimm17
03-25-2007, 06:24 PM
$400-600?? Holly cow batman. No wonder that boat is $75k... Oh well, I'll just stick with getting new decals.

Ranman
03-25-2007, 06:35 PM
I had these made way before they were introduced on the Shelby. I would take credit for the idea, however, I was inspired by another member's original, smaller version.

I'm pretty sure Donzi got the idea from my threads though.

Here's a few pics of what I had made...

http://www.donzi.net/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=1970&d=1081989072

http://www.donzi.net/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=1815&d=1081472877

http://www.donzi.net/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=27799&d=1174865540

Mr X
03-25-2007, 07:06 PM
Actually, Donzi was installing them on the 39ZSC back in 2000.

Here are the stainless letters I had made for my 22, back in 2001.
They were cut by a water jet.

http://www.donzi.net/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=7208&d=1098447375

Cuda
03-25-2007, 08:04 PM
I don't remember where I got this one, but I think it was from the guy I had make the registration numbers for the 22. Any sign place that does vinyl should be able to make them.

yeller
03-25-2007, 09:06 PM
$400-600?? Holly cow batman.:biggrin: :biggrin:
That's pretty much what I thought when I found out. I figured if I really wanted them I could get them made for less than that.

Tony
03-25-2007, 10:22 PM
zimm17...PM me your snail mail address and I'll fire you off a tow vehicle decal.

:beer:

zelatore
03-26-2007, 11:40 AM
How many people would be interested in a s/s logo like that?

I took one look at the logo and said 'hey, my brother has access to as water jet...' I forwarded the logo on to him and asked him to figure up a price to turn out a small batch, say 30 to 50 or whatever he can get out of a single sheet of stainless. I'd guess the cost would be no more than $100/set.

Sound interesting? Let me know - I'm sure we could do this if there was interest.

Don

Johntrip
03-26-2007, 01:49 PM
I will take a set.... What would the dimensions be..??

zimm17
03-26-2007, 01:50 PM
I'm for a set too.

Bvinc
03-26-2007, 02:54 PM
I'll take a set. How quick will he make them. I just had my 22 color sanded & need to put new decals on.

DudeHoss
03-26-2007, 04:05 PM
Donzi promised me a set when my boat was down there, but they didn't deliver. I want a set! Let me know, I would like to get in on an order. Please let me know!

zelatore
03-26-2007, 05:28 PM
Whoa there - that was only a feeler to see if it was viable to make them up! We haven't actually made anything yet :eek!:

I spoke with my brother a bit today about doing it. We're thinking about 20" wide, including the gaps between the letters, although since the letters would be seperate you could space them however you wanted. I based that on some quick measuing of Mr X's transom photo above.

He's going to check prices on material, but we'd probably do mirror polished 16 ga. 304 stainless. I wouldn't put screw holes in them so you'd want to attach them with 5200 or similar, although you could certainly drill and screw them if you wanted. I figure it's better to leave them with no holes to keep the cost down and to give people mounting options.

It sounds like there's enough interest. I'll keep everybody posted on how things go, and if we can do it for a resonable number I'll let you know.

Don

undertaker
03-26-2007, 06:59 PM
Actually, Donzi was installing them on the 39ZSC back in 2000.
Here are the stainless letters I had made for my 22, back in 2001.
They were cut by a water jet.
http://www.donzi.net/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=7208&d=1098447375

Ted, what make Hydraulic steering did you have on your old 22????..just curious...can not tell from the pic..:)

Undertaker:cool:

undertaker
03-26-2007, 07:00 PM
I will take a set.... What would the dimensions be..??

I thought you were buying superchargers:bonk: :bonk: :bonk:

Undertaker:boggled:

Johntrip
03-26-2007, 07:37 PM
The more horsepower, the more Bling Bling....!!

yeller
03-26-2007, 11:57 PM
I'd definately take a set IF they were the same size as the factory ones.

Mr X
03-27-2007, 10:39 AM
Mine were $27.00 per letter.

zelatore
03-27-2007, 10:44 AM
Anybody have access to a Shelby so they can give me the exact diminsions?

Looks like we can do it, I just need to know the exact size then we can set a time table for a run. I'd probalby do 10 to start, and if more people wanted them we could make another batch.

Don

Tony
03-27-2007, 12:14 PM
Just curious...how would you affix these to your hull?

:beer:

zelatore
03-27-2007, 03:11 PM
I'd suggest 3M 5200. It would be best to use some sandpaper to scuff the contact points first just to add some 'tooth' so it could get a better grip, but it should stick regardless - it's pretty tough stuff.

Alternatively, you could drill and screw them on, but it wouldn't have the smooth look.

catch 22
03-27-2007, 04:37 PM
That would be cool. I would be in for a set.:cool:

Cuda
03-27-2007, 06:12 PM
I'd suggest 3M 5200. It would be best to use some sandpaper to scuff the contact points first just to add some 'tooth' so it could get a better grip, but it should stick regardless - it's pretty tough stuff.
Alternatively, you could drill and screw them on, but it wouldn't have the smooth look.
If I were going to use them, I'd use 4200. If you damage one that was put on with 5200, you pull gelcoat off before you get it to come off.

I have a set of Formula Thunderbirds. They have an adhesive backing, when you put them on, they are stuck on good! They are plastic, and not metal though.

yeller
03-27-2007, 08:44 PM
Anybody have access to a Shelby so they can give me the exact diminsions?
Looks like we can do it, I just need to know the exact size then we can set a time table for a run. I'd probalby do 10 to start, and if more people wanted them we could make another batch.
DonDon't wait for me because I'm not sure when I could get to it, but there is an Aronow Ed nearby that I may be able to get the measurements from.

zelatore
03-27-2007, 11:25 PM
If anyone can get the measurments - great. I know the dealer here near my office has a shelby in stock, but they keep it dry-stacked and I'd hate to BS them into taking it down just so I could measure it. Especially since they are one of my competitors in the bigger boat market. I think sometimes they pull it out and set it in front of there office - maybe I'll swing by and if it's out I'll casually walk over with a tape measure.

BTW re:5200 - if you ever need to remove it, there is a spray that helps break it down. I think it's call de-bond or something like that. It's stupid-expensive, but it does help. If I were trying to remove 5200 from a finished surface, I'd definately get a bottle.

Don

Johntrip
03-27-2007, 11:37 PM
Acetone softens 5200.....

Mr X
03-28-2007, 04:39 AM
Actually......mine were not one off's. :)

zimm17
03-28-2007, 09:05 AM
How in the world do you use 4200 and not have it squish out from all the edges? wouldn't double sized super 3M tape work the best? i wonder if you can water jet that stuff too....

zelatore
03-28-2007, 09:40 AM
You can water jet just about anything - it's just a matter of practicallity and expense.

I used to say 'A man with a welder can rule the world'. Now I think he'll need a couple more tools. Maybe a water jet and a lathe. And let's be realistic, he could really only rule some of the smaller continents, not the whole world.
:)
Don

PS - we've got two material sources lined up (double checking the polish level on one provider), we just need to get our exact diminsions and we can get started.

zimm17
03-28-2007, 12:29 PM
You can water jet just about anything - it's just a matter of practicallity and expense.

Well can we check on getting a sheet of double sticky tape done 1/8" smaller than the letters?

zelatore
03-28-2007, 03:43 PM
I'll ask about the sheet of double-stick; I've never tried to do something like that so I'll have to find out.

Is the general consensus that the letters should be the same size as the letters on the sides of a Shelby? We could do that, or we could do somethign a little smaller similar to the photo with the letters on the transom above. I just shot over to the local dealer and measured the Shelby logo, it's about 3 7/8" tall and 36 3/8" long.

Don

zelatore
03-28-2007, 05:35 PM
I've seen some tapes that are pretty tough, but I would still prefer 4200 or 5200 myself. It's not that hard to apply; we use those and Sikaflex products for assembly of all our new boats. It's about as basic as duct tape.

Don

zelatore
03-29-2007, 11:01 AM
I think the shot above sums up why not to use adhesive tapes... No doubt the studs on the back would be the ideal, but that will get beyond our fabrication skills. At least so far as producing the logos at a resonable cost. If we had to come back and hand weld studs to the back then re-polish to get rid of the bluing the heat caused it would get expenive in a hurry!

Like I mentioend at the begining, you could always drill a countersunk hole and screw them on, but I figure a lot of people wouldn't like the look of screws so I'd leave the letters smooth and if you wanted to drill them you could do it yourself since it's not a complicated process.

I think you'd be fine with 4200 at a minimum or 5200 to be sure.

Don

Budmann
03-29-2007, 06:46 PM
I'm in for a set!!:) :) :) :) :) :) :)

zelatore
03-29-2007, 10:59 PM
So here's the Hundred Dollar Question:

Big or small letters?

If you wanted to do something on the transom, like the picture above, I can do that pretty easily. But those letters are smaller than what's used on the Shelby currently.

I took a quick measurment of a local Shelby - the letters are 3 7/8" tall and the full logo is 36 3/8" long. I can do that as well, and I think we can even do it at the same price despite the added material.

I just have to know what everybody wants.

We'll make them out of .048 #8 polished stainless steel. They'll have some size, but they shouldn't be so heavy they pull off if you put them on with 4200 or 5200.

Cast your vote - what size do you want? We'll problaby make a small batch and see what happens. If we run out, we can always make more. If we can get a concensus on size, I'd like to start making them next week.

Don

Eugene Nahemow
03-29-2007, 11:16 PM
:
If they come in at that price I am in for a set....
Ted, one off's are always way more expensive.. You pay for setup and wasted material...
Mine were one off's and I paid a hell of alot more than Ted!!:bonk:
But, I am used to paying a hell of alot more.:boggled:

Eugene Nahemow
03-29-2007, 11:17 PM
So here's the Hundred Dollar Question:
Big or small letters?
If you wanted to do something on the transom, like the picture above, I can do that pretty easily. But those letters are smaller than what's used on the Shelby currently.
I took a quick measurment of a local Shelby - the letters are 3 7/8" tall and the full logo is 36 3/8" long. I can do that as well, and I think we can even do it at the same price despite the added material.
I just have to know what everybody wants.
We'll make them out of .048 #8 polished stainless steel. They'll have some size, but they shouldn't be so heavy they pull off if you put them on with 4200 or 5200.
Cast your vote - what size do you want? We'll problaby make a small batch and see what happens. If we run out, we can always make more. If we can get a concensus on size, I'd like to start making them next week.
Don

I'd prefer the smaller letters but I am in for an set at whatever size you make them.

yeller
03-29-2007, 11:35 PM
I really want a set, but they have to be the full size letters.
I'll have to pass if your doing them smaller.

zimm17
03-30-2007, 05:38 AM
B I G letters. I want to replace my peeling original stickers and update the look of the boat.

Budmann
03-30-2007, 06:33 AM
BIG!!! I think they fit the whole look of the boat better.

Bud

DudeHoss
03-30-2007, 12:37 PM
I too would prefer the same size letters that are on the shelby.

zelatore
03-30-2007, 03:09 PM
Big sounds like the winner. Although I will see if there isn't room in the sheet to sqeeze in a smaller set or two.

We'll try to order the stock on Monday and maybe start cutting toward the end of the week, depending on delivery time and availability of the tool between bigger jobs.

I'll keep you guys posted on when we have a product ready and put up pictues.

Don

yeller
03-30-2007, 09:05 PM
OK, where do I send the $$$$. I want to make sure I'm in on the first run. :hyper: :hyper:

Just don't screw 'em up. :wink: :rlol:

ColdWaterDonzi
04-02-2007, 03:45 PM
I would be in for a set, they are beautiful.

I think I may need different sized letters though.... Whatever sizing is on a 74' Spitfire. It would be big more than small I'd think.
:confused:

MOP
04-03-2007, 09:09 PM
Well this did start off with a rear window of the two vehicle, you want to see a rear window you need to see "Catch 22's" now that has impact! Far more then lettering, I will try to find the post of his truck.

Phil

zimm17
04-04-2007, 05:37 AM
Well this did start off with a rear window of the two vehicle, you want to see a rear window you need to see "Catch 22's" now that has impact! Far more then lettering, I will try to find the post of his truck.
Phil

Yes, please do. I'm happy with my white "DONZI Classic power boats" sticker that showed up in the mail. Looks good on my white truck with tinted windows. I'll get a photo up when I find my digital camera battery again.

MOP
04-04-2007, 06:10 AM
I gave it a shot last night but gave in and PMed Jim to help out.

Phil

ColdWaterDonzi
04-09-2007, 09:44 AM
Zelatore - Any word on these? When you'll start, how we can pay you?

Cuda
04-09-2007, 10:05 AM
Phil
Here is the rear window you speak of. :)

zelatore
04-09-2007, 07:32 PM
Sorry for the delayed response - I've got a few big projects on my plate here at work and things are getting hectic so I haven't been checking on the board.

My first S/S supplier flaked out - material costs doubled! We're checking on our second supplier and should hear back from him tomorrow or Wednesday.

Once we cut the logos, I'll post pictures. As for payment, we'll set up a paypal account - I figure that will be easiest for everybody.

Don

VetteLT193
07-05-2007, 09:17 AM
Any word on these? And a dumb question, when you say set, does that mean 2 Donzi's (one for each side of the boat) or 1?

DudeHoss
07-05-2007, 03:37 PM
I'd really like to get a set of these. Let us know what we can do to help.