PDA

View Full Version : I pods & stereos

LKSD
03-24-2007, 05:24 PM
In my limited free time I bought a 30gb I pod.. So far I love it for in the truck & shop. Does anyone know if there is a way to pipe the music into a bose or regular stereo kind of like you do in a car?? Maybe they have an adaptor? I wish I could play mu lists on my home system without having to put it on disc first. I know the new bose 5.1's will retain the cd's in memory, but I have the 321 system & it doesnt do it.. I have to wait a while unitl I can upgrade that unit.. :( Jamie

Formula Jr
03-25-2007, 04:30 AM
You want a mini phono jack to two RCA male leads. Its a 4 dollar cable. Plug the phono jack in the ipod and the Left/Right RCA leads into the AUX input side of your main amp. Don't use the Phono Record preamp input.

zimm17
03-25-2007, 10:08 AM
You want a mini phono jack to two RCA male leads. Its a 4 dollar cable. Plug the phono jack in the ipod and the Left/Right RCA leads into the AUX input side of your main amp. Don't use the Phono Record preamp input.

Exactly.

Also if you have your music on your laptop and have wireless capability on your computer, you can get an Apple "airport express" which is a little $100 wireless router that has an audio out jack. You can then play music from itunes right through your reciever- wireless.

LKSD
03-25-2007, 03:20 PM
Good ideas.. Thanks guys.. :) Jamie

Formula Jr
03-26-2007, 02:36 AM
I was also going to suggest using one of the Griffin iTrip FM transmitters.
Of which there are two kinds. One mounts on the top of older ipods and uses the firewire port for power. The newer ones, for the Gen 6+ video ipods use the Docking Port on the bottom. Or you could go with one of the more generic FM transmitters like the C. Crane or others, available at RS, Target or Best Buy that supply there own power and just use the Headphone output jack. These would work for any ipod, laptop or desk top. All these are damn near free on eBay. They are only good for line of sight and up to 30 feet or so. And if your area has a filled in FM domain it might be hard to find an unused frequency. Thats why there are so many on eBay.

LKSD
03-26-2007, 06:17 AM
Thanks for the tips guys.. :) Jamie

mikev
03-26-2007, 01:16 PM
I have one of these it works with ipods mp3's and usb devices. I dont have an ipod but I use my 1 gig jump drive that cost me 15.00 and it holds over 8 hours of music and not out much if i loose it or get it wet. best part is i can grab it out of the truck and put in the boat in about 2 seconds.

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=4956678

Formula Jr
03-28-2007, 10:58 PM
My 5$ ebay USB 2 Rio will take even the four gig SD cards. Thats about all the music or storage I want to take anywere. And I don't care if it gets lost. I own all the albums I want. I have original copies. Apple can kiss my ass with its protected formats.....

ATLDONZI
03-30-2007, 09:30 AM
I broke down last year and bought a 30 gig for the car and the gym.... also in my industry (car audio) it is almost a must have... well When i bought my sweet 16 i didnt want to booger it all up with a big cd player since there isnt a lot of room so i use my ipod as a source... I have a punch shallow mount 12 up in the bow and two mb quart 6 1/2's and a polk amp hidden in the bow as well.. I still have all of my original storage areas and it friggin rocks.. i have a volume knob and thats it.. all hidden to preserve the classic look!

McGary911
03-31-2007, 07:29 AM
Going with the $6 miniplug to stereo RCA will give the best sound. The FM transmitters don't sound all that good, even under the best conditions. I also have an apple airport, and it is cool as hell. Nice to play all the music from your laptop, without a wire involved. If you get more than 1, you can feed different systems. 1 in the house, 1 in the shop for instance. They're a touch pricey, by can also do the job as your wireless access point and router.