PDA

View Full Version : 22 Classic Trailer info

evetsathom
03-23-2007, 09:13 PM
My 1996 22 Classic is in need of a replacement trailer. The Eagle Trailer that came with it was the perfect setup. The only problem is the fact that it was a painted trailer and it's now shot. I saw a Myco in the keys a couple of weeks ago so I called those folks last week. Their looking at $8900.00 which I'm thinking is a little steep. I'm looking for an alluminum trailer setup for long range highway hauling. Are there other choices out there for top end trailers?
evetsathom

Cuda
03-23-2007, 09:25 PM
I paid $1700 dollars for an aluminum trailer that I have pulled my 22 on. It was under the Minx when I sold it.

undertaker
03-24-2007, 08:36 AM
$8900 for a aluminum MYCO does sound a little high, I paid less than that for my 05 Steel MYCO with all the options....pm need for speed or roadtrip they both have aluminum MYCO'S they can stear ya in the right direction....

IMO MYCO makes a awesome trailer tows great have had zero problems with mine. If you are not set on aluminum Dr. Dan has a steel Performance trailer that is VERY VERY nice and about half the price of a MYCO and IMO is better than an eagle...

Undertaker

pmreed
03-25-2007, 04:51 PM
Talk to Madpoodle; he's a dealer for Continental. You can't beat the trailer he's got under his Critter, and at well under 1/2 the Myco price. Ask for pics; you'll be impressed!!

Phil

MOP
03-27-2007, 08:45 PM
A decent aluminum trailer should not run over $3,500 for a 22, I did a bit better but was lucky. I switched from steel to aluminum and no way would I ever have a steel trailer again, aluminum tows super easy.

Phil

Carl C
03-28-2007, 06:05 AM
Make sure it's long enough to fully support the boat. Mine came new on a trailer too short. I had to make some mods to get the boat fully on the bunks but it still isn't really right.

Dr. Dan
03-28-2007, 06:40 AM
:smash: I had an original Eagle Style Trailer from a Buford Georgia Manufacturer- and inspite of it being near death when I found my Donzi I was able to nurse it along for about 4 years... at the time of the New Trailers purchase decision - I explored alot of options, both Aluminum and Steel.

The main reason "at the time" I purchased a Steel Trailer again, was because I had to conserve $Jing and there was about a $1000 difference or more between the two. I would have pulled the Trigger on a Continental from Scott- but I just could not swing it... so I kept looking and was able to get a Steel Trailer from Performance Custom Trailer outta Lake George New York!

Now I am sure materials have gone up like everything else...but I have to tell you.... I would put this Trailer up against any I have seen, driven or towed with. I have 2 Spare Tires with Mags and Radials (I tow alot), I have LED Lights, I requested no signage or logos or pinstriping on the Trailer-just Jet Black Industrial Paint, I have Dual Torsion Axles, I have 4 Disc Brakes, I have the main rails as "Sealed Beams" so no water gets in, there are only 2 Crossmembers that have holes in them (front & rear) for wires, the actual wire harness is exterior mounted on the inside of the Port Side Rail with welded tabs to hold it secure.

This Trailer handles like a Porsche, the Torsion Axles are unbelievable, the Brakes are great as well and loaded with the Donzi the Rig acts like a Drag Chute for the Suburban at 80 mph! It can stop fast, the whole rig is all Disc brakes at every wheel.....so 8 Discs grabbing the pavement is incredibly effective.

Some day I will buy another Trailer for just Salt Dipping, and it will be Aluminum, but in the meantime....I will keep this one clean and sprayed with Salt Away and rinsed and waxed...it sees 15,000 miles or more each Season, this year will be it's 3rd. The closest look to this Trailer is Ed Schumachers Steel Red MYCO, my Trailer is fully fitted and Custom Designed for the 22 Classic, not patterned for it, not fitted for it, it's made for it, period. The Balance, the handling is really something to experience....especially if you care about how your hull is supported during the ride.

I have grown to appreciate the strength of steel, I like how the 22 Rides in the Cradle of the Design, it sits well... at less than half the price of a MYCO, with basic features,I can tell ya, if I was to go Steel again for a 22, I would order another from this company over any other Steel Manufacturer! It is, to date outside of the HP500 EFI, the single best Donzi related purchase I have made that has enhanced my Donzi experience, in Safety and Security while driving...and that, to me is everything.

Don't misunderstand me, this is not an indictment on MYCO, EAGLE or Continental...or any manufacturer...I am mearly sharing my experience with my little trailer from a little manufacturer in Lake George New York. Bang for the buck - if I get 10 years from it and I am on year 3, then I am more than happy. Most of my boating is fresh water....with that one little exception of the Sarasota Run once a year....which is where the Salt Away comes out.... this Trailer sees nothing but fresh water.... I was originally going to get a MYCO, then it was an Aluminum Continental.... circumstances changed in my life and I was forced to conserve cash at the time of purchase and I ended up going with Performance Custom Trailers... as it turned out...it has not been a bad experience...which is cool....cuz Life is full of those unscheduled deals that turn you around quicker than a Texas Dust Devil!

Aluminum - I would go with Poodle on the Continental...hands down the best value with Service from a reputable company and a trusted Board Member. MYCO's are second to none...inspite of what one may cost you...they simply are an incredible company and a great product,Steel or Aluminum, they will be considered Custom. A good friend who I don't see enough of had a Steel MYCO for his 33 Daytona, and his 38 ZX, when I asked him why Steel over aluminum? He could afford whatever he wanted-he said the Look of the Coordinating Paint and mostly the Strength of Steel while he is hauling.

There are alot of great choices out there....but as we all know, especially in boating, ya get what ya pay for...so it's really subjective after all....what do you want and value most.

Good Luck in your search.... the search is half the fun!:spongebob

Doc

zimm17
03-28-2007, 08:22 AM
I went through this whole thing last year. After lots of research I went with my local marina who is an Load-Rite dealer. We went through the catalogs and picked a nice tandem axle aluminum trailer with the right load rating for a 4000lb boat (3500 plus fuel and gear). I was going to get a really heavy duty trailer, but the salesman said to stay in your load rating and not go over otherwise the trailer will bounce like a ping-pong ball down the road. He was right, my trailer is smooth as butter.
It was $3500, but I went all out on options including 4 wheel stainless disc brakes, full size spare (you're crazy not to have a spare), LED lights, and stainless hardware upgrade. Oh and galvanized wheels- not aluminum since I'm all salt water. With tax and registration, it came out to $4200. It has nice diamond plate fenders which are strong enough to stand on too.
I love it. Plus buying locally, they did the setup for the bunks and put the boat on it for free. I've very happy.

undertaker
03-28-2007, 05:33 PM
:smash: I had an original Eagle Style Trailer from a Buford Georgia Manufacturer- and inspite of it being near death when I found my Donzi I was able to nurse it along for about 4 years... at the time of the New Trailers purchase decision - I explored alot of options, both Aluminum and Steel.
The main reason "at the time" I purchased a Steel Trailer again, was because I had to conserve $Jing and there was about a $1000 difference or more between the two. I would have pulled the Trigger on a Continental from Scott- but I just could not swing it... so I kept looking and was able to get a Steel Trailer from Performance Custom Trailer outta Lake George New York!
Now I am sure materials have gone up like everything else...but I have to tell you.... I would put this Trailer up against any I have seen, driven or towed with. I have 2 Spare Tires with Mags and Radials (I tow alot), I have LED Lights, I requested no signage or logos or pinstriping on the Trailer-just Jet Black Industrial Paint, I have Dual Torsion Axles, I have 4 Disc Brakes, I have the main rails as "Sealed Beams" so no water gets in, there are only 2 Crossmembers that have holes in them (front & rear) for wires, the actual wire harness is exterior mounted on the inside of the Port Side Rail with welded tabs to hold it secure.
This Trailer handles like a Porsche, the Torsion Axles are unbelievable, the Brakes are great as well and loaded with the Donzi the Rig acts like a Drag Chute for the Suburban at 80 mph! It can stop fast, the whole rig is all Disc brakes at every wheel.....so 8 Discs grabbing the pavement is incredibly effective.
Some day I will buy another Trailer for just Salt Dipping, and it will be Aluminum, but in the meantime....I will keep this one clean and sprayed with Salt Away and rinsed and waxed...it sees 15,000 miles or more each Season, this year will be it's 3rd. The closest look to this Trailer is Ed Schumachers Steel Red MYCO, my Trailer is fully fitted and Custom Designed for the 22 Classic, not patterned for it, not fitted for it, it's made for it, period. The Balance, the handling is really something to experience....especially if you care about how your hull is supported during the ride.
I have grown to appreciate the strength of steel, I like how the 22 Rides in the Cradle of the Design, it sits well... at less than half the price of a MYCO, with basic features,I can tell ya, if I was to go Steel again for a 22, I would order another from this company over any other Steel Manufacturer! It is, to date outside of the HP500 EFI, the single best Donzi related purchase I have made that has enhanced my Donzi experience, in Safety and Security while driving...and that, to me is everything.
Don't misunderstand me, this is not an indictment on MYCO, EAGLE or Continental...or any manufacturer...I am mearly sharing my experience with my little trailer from a little manufacturer in Lake George New York. Bang for the buck - if I get 10 years from it and I am on year 3, then I am more than happy. Most of my boating is fresh water....with that one little exception of the Sarasota Run once a year....which is where the Salt Away comes out.... this Trailer sees nothing but fresh water.... I was originally going to get a MYCO, then it was an Aluminum Continental.... circumstances changed in my life and I was forced to conserve cash at the time of purchase and I ended up going with Performance Custom Trailers... as it turned out...it has not been a bad experience...which is cool....cuz Life is full of those unscheduled deals that turn you around quicker than a Texas Dust Devil!
Aluminum - I would go with Poodle on the Continental...hands down the best value with Service from a reputable company and a trusted Board Member. MYCO's are second to none...inspite of what one may cost you...they simply are an incredible company and a great product,Steel or Aluminum, they will be considered Custom. A good friend who I don't see enough of had a Steel MYCO for his 33 Daytona, and his 38 ZX, when I asked him why Steel over aluminum? He could afford whatever he wanted-he said the Look of the Coordinating Paint and mostly the Strength of Steel while he is hauling.
There are alot of great choices out there....but as we all know, especially in boating, ya get what ya pay for...so it's really subjective after all....what do you want and value most.
Good Luck in your search.... the search is half the fun!:spongebob
Doc

AMEN!!!!!:) :) :) :) :) :)

Undertaker (Mr. MYCO)...:cool: :cool:

need for speed
03-28-2007, 06:33 PM
Myco!! :)

Johntrip
03-28-2007, 07:26 PM
Bought my Continental from "MAD DOG 20/20" better known as Mad Poodle. Gave me a good $$$ and Continental worked with me to fine tune the boat/trailer fit till it was jjjjjjjjuuuuuusssttt right........!!

BERTRAM BOY
04-01-2007, 09:32 AM
What Phil Read and Johntrip said......Talk to Madpoodle. I've bought 2 Continentals from him. both outstanding.

I know the Myco guy's will argue with me, But I just don't think the smaller Myco's are worth the money. I believe that they are about double what a really good Continental goes for. Undertaker and Roadtrip would know better than I in that department.

need for speed
04-01-2007, 09:19 PM
Big or small all the same ! :wink:

BERTRAM BOY
04-02-2007, 09:34 AM
Big or small all the same ! :wink:

Definetly NOT the same. The smaller Myco's that I have seen have weld spatter and less than desirable paint. Definetly not true of the larger Myco's that I have seen.