PDA

View Full Version : Box Anchors

Splendid
03-23-2007, 01:27 PM
Has anyone ever tried a "box" anchor? I saw one and like that it could be folded up and stowed away.

Thanks

Johntrip
03-23-2007, 02:19 PM
They work great.... trick is to have a lengthy chain with some weight to it to keep the anchor down at the right pitch.... Bigger the boat the more chain you'll need...

Kirbyvv
03-23-2007, 02:30 PM
They work well. I like the way it folds up and can store under the back seat in my X-18.

zelatore
03-23-2007, 02:38 PM
trick is to have a lengthy chain with some weight to it to keep the anchor down at the right pitch....

That holds true with pretty much any anchor.

I install Danforths, Deltas, and a few Plows on out boats here at work and run Danforths on my personal boats. Most of our bottoms are mud here in the bay area, although in the delta we do get a lot of weeds that make almost any anchor a b&#$ch to set. Some of the local magazines have been running ads for the box anchors, but I haven't tried them as they don't look like they'll work well with a windlass and pulpit. Maybe for a stern anchor?

Don

florida gator
03-23-2007, 03:50 PM
They claim you don't need chain. I was wondering how easy they may be to pull out of rocks?

justleft
03-23-2007, 08:21 PM
In this big old stump filled pond I use the cheapest slip ring that is decent.

Because you are going to loose one almost every season.

yeller
03-23-2007, 08:43 PM
No chain needed. Anchors hold incredibly well. I think the larger ones would be a PITA, but the small one kicks a$$.
Check this out:
www.performanceboat.us/forum/showthread.php?t=404

Ranman
03-24-2007, 06:38 PM
I have been using the small one for the last 3 years and love it. All properly sized anchors on a Donzi Classic are pain-in-the ass cumbersome but the box anchor just plain works. No chain necessary like other anchors. Just pitch it out there and you're good to go. The storage bag is nice too. I normally anchor in sandy areas that are 3' - 10' deep, so I only keep 100' of line. Get one, you won't be disappointed.