PDA

View Full Version : New Toy

Donziweasel
03-22-2007, 08:34 PM
Haven't been around the boards too much lately. I did get a new toy I wanted to post though. Been a long hard winter and my schedule of getting up at 3:45 A.M. seven days a week, retarded tourists, 50 cranky drivers, and general winter blahs have burned me out. Spring is getting here though. Been some nice weather of 50 degrees + and the snow is off the valley. Ski resort shuts down April 8 and I will finally get to sleep some! Ice won't be off the lakes for another month, but will probably pull the Donzi out of storage soon and get her ready. Might even float the Snake and flyfish this weekend if the weather is nice. Done snowmobiling and skiing, although it is still pretty good, just over winter.

Well, here is my new toy (call it spring crisis, kinda like a midlife crisis, that I have every year when I buy something I really don't need in the spring, last year it was a popup camper and 120 gallon fish tank. My wife thinks I am crazy this time of year). How do you think the little red Donzi will look being towed by it. I think I am going to start a new sport, extreme boat launching! Find me the slickest, nasty boat ramp you can find and I bet I can out launch anyone with the new toy, the Pinzgauer 712. They also make a Pinzgauer 4 wheel model, the 710.

Here are the specs. 6 wheel shift on the fly drive, 6 wheel locking shift on the fly differentials, shift on the fly 6 wheel low, all hydrualic. Hold 14 people (troops), and can tow 5000 pounds (not F-350 material, but will do just fine with the Donzi). Air cooled twin carb engine. Going to restore it next winter. Made for the swiss military in the 70's and 80's. Price- $14,000.00, miles 18,000. What do you think?:)

BUIZILLA
03-22-2007, 08:43 PM
can you get it tagged and approved for US roadways with the bumper's like that?

Donziweasel
03-22-2007, 08:50 PM
USDOT legal for highway use in all States and titled like any other truck. Mine is actually listed as a SUV. You can really see how it resembles a Expedition, huh?:bonk: Just kidding. How was your winter Buizilla?

Carl C
03-22-2007, 08:57 PM
Good to see you back Dw. How is your Ma? I think that truck will be a real attention getter but not so much as this one (pic)! Buizilla, if this wheeled tank can be licensed I don't think Dw will have any problems! I used to know the folks at this radio station and my good friend got to drive it home sometimes. Here it is in my driveway. The only entry is through the top of the turret. There is room for a driver and a gunman who sits with head sticking out of the turret. You talk about a head turner! I'd love to have bought it to tow my yellow 22 but it seems like it'd be a nightmare to work on.

Donziweasel
03-22-2007, 09:04 PM
Thanks for asking about my mom. She is doing pretty well. Going to see her April 20th.

I am going to do a body off resto. Thinking about painting it black with a tan top. Black rims, tan seats with black interior. Here is a pic of one kinda close to what I am thinking. What do you think?

Carl C
03-22-2007, 09:11 PM
Thanks for asking about my mom. She is doing pretty well. Going to see her April 20th.
I am going to do a body off resto. Thinking about painting it black with a tan top. Black rims, tan seats with black interior. Here is a pic of one kinda close to what I am thinking. What do you think? Should look good in any color but I'd probably go with a military "olive drab green".

Last Tango
03-22-2007, 09:49 PM
Carl,
That vehicle looks to be the perfect commuter for Detroit. LOL!:uzi: :fire:

Carl C
03-22-2007, 10:05 PM
Carl,
That vehicle looks to be the perfect commuter for Detroit. LOL!:uzi: :fire: Yeah, except the cannon is a PVC pipe. I could sit up there with my paintball gun and intimidate folks though! This thing has full armor plating and plates that fold against the windows if desired so that you only look through a slot with a prism. It's so cool; I really should have bought it when they sold it.:uzi:

Carl C
03-23-2007, 11:06 AM
............Hey, Dw, I figured it out! Drop the suspension as far as it will go, put on a set of 20 inch spinners, chop the top and get a big $$$ paint job. Now put a bunch of those really obnoxious subs in the back..............Pimp my troop transporter..........:)

Donziweasel
03-23-2007, 11:55 AM
Carl, should I put an airsuspension on it and make it bounce? Be pretty funny. I have always wanted a Pinzgauer. They also make a hard top with a machine gun hatch on top. I am thinking of getting one for the winter. Someone could stand up there and using two way radios, direct me to insurgents, hostile troops or angry Donzi owners. Then, take em out with the 50 cal.

Seriously, for hunting, fishing, going to the lake, and summer in general in Jackson Hole, I am really looking foward to driving it around. It goes where Hummers fear to tread. The 6 wheel drive system is pretty damn cool, with everything shift on the fly. Top comes off, doors come off, windshield fold down. The perfect off road rig. Now, some of you guys need to come visit and go for a ride. Bring your Donzi!:bonk: :) :wink:

vonkamp
03-23-2007, 02:09 PM
That is one cool Pinz DW! Looks like it does not need a restoration though. Have you figured out what the MPG is yet?:biggrin.: :biggrin.:

Donziweasel
03-23-2007, 03:46 PM
MPG isn't bad. 16-18 on the highway and will run a tick under 70 mph. Around town, it is actually a little better 18-19. Although it doesn't really need a restoration, I would like to customize it some. I found very little rust and even got the Swiss maintenence records for it. Hydrualics, Brakes, drivetrain, electrical, are in pretty good shape. I did replace the ignition with a Pertronix electronic one, better spark. I will say the Swiss are pretty anal about thier maintenence and the rig was in great shape.

One thing I like, and some people hate, is that it is 24 volt. Better starting in the cold, thinner gauge wires, etc... are some of the benefits. Since some of my busses are 24 volt, I have some parts and understand the setup pretty well.

I am replacing the tail lights with LED's and of course changing the color to red. Right now they are amber for stop. Not sure why the Swiss did it that way. I also am putting a Warn 24 volt 9000xi winch on it. Got to convert the trailer wiring to 12 volt so I can tow a standard trailer (Donzi), not a big deal though.

I did join another board-

http://www.real4x4forums.com/PinzgauerBBS/index.php

But I don't post much there, but I do like reading some of the other posts. My name is jacksonpinz there. It is for Pinzgauer and Volvo 303 junkies. Still a Donzi.net man at heart. Good to see everyone is still here and rocking with thier Donzi's. Seen some new names, but it is really good to see all the ones from last summer and fall. Hope everyone had a great winter and I look foward to a sweet summer with both my toys, a Pinzgauer towing a Donzi to the lake!:)

Patti
03-23-2007, 06:26 PM
Nice new toy John! :)..I got your email...will email you back with the links you need to copy and paste...it's so nice to see you back! :tongue:

Edit: I did it for ya ;)

Donziweasel
03-24-2007, 08:50 AM
Thanks Patti, you and Jamie need to come out for a ride! Hope all is well.

LKSD
03-24-2007, 06:55 PM
John & Carl, Those things are nutz!!! You could make some coin off of taking people for rides alone! I know I would pay for a ride in one of them.. Definitley a cool Macho toy..

I think Arnold Schwartzneger has one of thos Pinz units.. If that thing doesnt get you through the woods nothing will!.. :D Jamie / Lakeside

Donziweasel
03-24-2007, 08:42 PM
Thanks man, I owe you a ride for all the free advice you have given me in the last year. I'll even let you drive. I had Hummer H-1 a few years ago and I definetly get more looks in the Pinz. I still can not believe how inexpensive they are compared to how much capability it has.

Maybe you could build me a Lakeside Resotoration 750 hp beast to replace the small air cooled mouse.

kendoral
03-24-2007, 09:48 PM
Haven't been around the boards too much lately. I did get a new toy I wanted to post though. Been a long hard winter and my schedule of getting up at 3:45 A.M. seven days a week, retarded tourists, 50 cranky drivers, and general winter blahs have burned me out. Spring is getting here though. Been some nice weather of 50 degrees + and the snow is off the valley. Ski resort shuts down April 8 and I will finally get to sleep some! Ice won't be off the lakes for another month, but will probably pull the Donzi out of storage soon and get her ready. Might even float the Snake and flyfish this weekend if the weather is nice. Done snowmobiling and skiing, although it is still pretty good, just over winter.
Well, here is my new toy (call it spring crisis, kinda like a midlife crisis, that I have every year when I buy something I really don't need in the spring, last year it was a popup camper and 120 gallon fish tank. My wife thinks I am crazy this time of year). How do you think the little red Donzi will look being towed by it. I think I am going to start a new sport, extreme boat launching! Find me the slickest, nasty boat ramp you can find and I bet I can out launch anyone with the new toy, the Pinzgauer 712. They also make a Pinzgauer 4 wheel model, the 710.
Here are the specs. 6 wheel shift on the fly drive, 6 wheel locking shift on the fly differentials, shift on the fly 6 wheel low, all hydrualic. Hold 14 people (troops), and can tow 5000 pounds (not F-350 material, but will do just fine with the Donzi). Air cooled twin carb engine. Going to restore it next winter. Made for the swiss military in the 70's and 80's. Price- $14,000.00, miles 18,000. What do you think?:)

Your Swiss Pocket Truck is Really Cool
I saw write up in a truck mag. it came out really good-it would climb virtually
streight up, and being Swiss, it is probably as dependable as their watches.
So you are almost as lucky as we Ontario's, where during the winter my
house is just a Lump in the snow (great fun ea) I'm not totally sure, but
Ed donnelly may sell his Criterion, it is really the most beautiful Donzi
I have ever seen, and just the right length, he has posted some pictures.
If he is going to sell it, I will be surprised, it was the end of the
production, and built for the President of the company--it looks bran new.
My Donzi is a 24, and designed to cut most waves in half--I think I will
need one of those Swiss trucks to pull it--well have a good one, and it is
finally looking like spring has sprung!! ken

LKSD
03-25-2007, 03:22 PM
No problem.. Thats definitley a cool rig!.. :) Jamie

Sofa King
03-25-2007, 04:56 PM
my buddy in Htown has one, purdy cool. we went up an down steep bayous. He spent 10g's and has the four wheel version.

Donziweasel
03-26-2007, 07:47 AM
The 4 wheel ones are a little cheaper, but actually have an independent suspension that is superior to the 6 wheel version. The 6 wheel version makes up for it in shear traction.

My wife has become interested in the 4 wheel one for herself. Wants to re do it and paint it yellow with a black top. I have created a monster! Thanks for the compliments. The thing is a trip to drive. No power steering (doesn't really need it), no power or disk brakes (but it does have 6 of them). I really don't mind the lack of modern technology. It is designed to be very user freindly for working on and the thing is tough as nails.

Tank
03-28-2007, 01:54 PM
Hi all Hay DW did you ever see a WWII weasel?
Ha ha I thought it would be up your ally?
Photo 2
Photo 1 is my WWII M-8 armord car.
Hay no joking you joined a small but growing club collecting military equipment!
You mite look on the net for clubs like the MVPW-
http://www.mvpa.org/mambo/index.php
Or my local club MTAofNJ-
http://www.mtaofnj.org/
Lots of info lots of fun!
I have bin at it for 14 years now and yes I drive on the roads in NJ,PA,NY,NYNY

Donziweasel
03-28-2007, 08:27 PM
Thanks Tank! There are some Pinzgauer and Unimog clubs out west. I bought it for more of a glorified camper and hunting rig than a collectors item, but I do love the uniqueness of it. Plus, 6 wheel drive with 6 wheel locking differentails, do I need to say more?:wink:

rustnrot
03-29-2007, 07:05 AM
Instead of 12v conversion for the trailer why not use same vehicle LED lights for the trailer...or put two lights in series each side?

What year is that rig's manufacture?

I'd leave the rig alone...and Camo the Donzi! Call it a Sour 16.

Donziweasel
03-29-2007, 08:07 AM
I though about that on the trailer conversion, but I tow 4 different trailers, jet boat, Donzi, pop-up and raft. I simply got a 7 channes converter and converted the current. Seemed easier than changing the lights in four trailers, plus I might have to pull a freinds trailer from time to time.

Camo Donzi huh? Never thought of it!:bonk: It will be next winter before I paint it. I am sure over the summer it will develop a personality and that will point me in the right direction for the color.

My Pinz is a 1973. Legally, any imported military vehicle in the US has to be 25 years old. The next generation Pinz with the turbo diesel won't start showing up in the States for 3-5 years.