PDA

View Full Version : Shelby impressions...

roadtrip se
03-22-2007, 09:25 AM
So spring is here in Kentucky and the boating bug is biting, so we hopped in the 300 and took a ride over to Somerset to check out the Shelby 22.

Those of you who know me know that I am more into what these boats can do and less about the history, so I am drawn to the updated concept of the Shelby.

I like the design and the layout of the cockpit. The seats are supportive. The fairing is cool. The Livorsi pod and controls are good looking and properly postioned. The cutouts in the combing panels and the drink holders are useful, but the edges are rough. The toggle switches are trick, as well as the wheel. The gauges rock. The rigging is very well done. I like the hydraulic steering lines run on the bottom of the floor. The hatch simply rocks and there are metal plates for the swivel locks, which was something missing on the Aronow I saw a few years back. The raised X-dim on the boat means the motor is occupying space in the raised hatch. I like the flush vents and the pull up cleats. The stainless DONZI letters are attached with two-sided tape, what's wrong with 4200?

Not quite sure what Shelby has to do with Donzi?

The boat is the blue version which means it is completely covered in paint. It is obvious that the boat was taped and sprayed after being assembled. I was not impressed with the overspray, scratches, and general paint problems with this boat. I would comb the new boat for every detail and then constantly be buffing on it after the issues were addressed.

I love the boat overall. There are a couple of stripe boats out there without all of the paint. With the update and all of the goodies, I think this beast could make a nice next-stage SE!

RickSE
03-22-2007, 10:40 AM
Roadtrip, My dad and I were considering asking Donzi to build us a non-Shelby Shelby, deleting the graphics but retaining most of the other features; never asked though. The Shelby name just increases the cost of the boat and we don't really see the appeal of the name in the boating world. The only other feature I don't like is the hatch. Although it looks cool, it's not cored and is flimsy as all heck. If you don't grab it with two hands when you push it down it'll twist. It just seems like they need to stiffen it up somehow.

As you mentioned, also take a close look at the paint, it's metallic and we saw a few flaws in the first Brandywine boat. The metallic paint is difficult to spray and a bitch to touch up. They also only paint about ¾ of the way down in the cockpit using colored gel to finish off the bottom of the cockpit; you'll see a line running around the base of the cockpit.

Watch the front seats. There are screw points sticking up from the base attachment that will poke through the upholstery if you stand on or put high pressure in that spot, front part of the seat. Hopefully they took our advice and resolved this issue after the dealer meeting.

If you can I'd check and verify that any boat you look at was built with the new lay-up procedure and the lifting strake pockets were filled before the stringers were put in. I was told that this is the fix for the stringer problems we're seeing but it's really hard to tell how it was done after they're built up. I'm not sure when they may have actually changed the procedure.

Good luck. It's a cool boat.

BUIZILLA
03-22-2007, 06:45 PM
RT, there's a REALLY nice white hull / blue guts / blue deck stripe, no chine stripe edition down here for sale...

as in R_E_A_L_L_Y nice, not flashy at all, and not a painted hull.... very tastefull and clean looking...

JH

Pismo
03-22-2007, 08:22 PM
I think they should have left the engine low to keep the CG low and used a short drive instead (but added $$$)

Carl C
03-22-2007, 08:42 PM
Drink holders? :My '05 was also painted after rigging. Seems like a lot of extra work but the finish is good. To me, the Shelby name means performance enhancements beyond just a raised X-dimension. To be true to the name the motors should be sent to Shelby to be tricked out and maybe supercharged. Sounds like a sweet ride though. What the heck are you doing in Kentucky?eek!:

Pismo
03-22-2007, 09:47 PM
Donzi just couldnt risk people killing themselves in their Shelbys with a hot engine even though I agree, a hot engine seems very appropriate.

zelatore
03-23-2007, 12:53 PM
The stainless DONZI letters are attached with two-sided tape, what's wrong with 4200?

4200? Heck, I'd want 5200 or better yet, welded studs on the back. Our Carvers started using stainless steel leters a couple years ago for logos. I don't know how many warranty claims I've made for re-attaching logos. I've got one missing the '5' in '35' right now. It doesn't look as good, but the real fix is putting screws in the letters.

Don

Scott Pearson
03-23-2007, 05:11 PM
All the Shelby 22's that I have seen it looked like a 2 year old painted it. Your right...everything was assembled and then painted. That is not the way to do things. Big paint problems down the road. And to top it off Donzi must have used a blind person to tape out all the rigging. Overspray everywhere. Lots of spot-in's throughout the boat. Looks like...WHO DID IT & RAN!!!

I have seen better paint jobs in Uncle Chucks back yard! On a good day!

Mr X
03-23-2007, 05:32 PM
All the Shelby 22's that I have seen it looked like a 2 year old painted it. Your right...everything was assembled and then painted. That is not the way to do things. Big paint problems down the road. And to top it off Donzi must have used a blind person to tape out all the rigging. Overspray everywhere. Lots of spot-in's throughout the boat. Looks like...WHO DID IT & RAN!!!
Ouch! That's a bit harsh.....

roadtrip se
03-23-2007, 07:58 PM

Harsh, but from a professional paint guy, it is what it is. I found myself rubbing on spots all over this boat yesterday. Let's just put it this way, Jill wasn't worried about my pulling out the checkbook.

I do like the white boats with that interior. A painted stripe is a lot less to mess up, but with the jing that they are paying Carl and the corresponding asking prices, these boats should be eight coats of clear dead solid perfect.

Lenny
03-23-2007, 08:11 PM
Harsh, but from a professional paint guy, it is what it is. I found myself rubbing on spots all over this boat yesterday. Let's just put it this way, Jill wasn't worried about my pulling out the checkbook.
I do like the white boats with that interior. A painted stripe is a lot less to mess up, but with the jing that they are paying Carl and the corresponding asking prices, these boats should be eight coats of clear dead solid perfect.

On my tour of Cigarette this last fall I was absolutely BLOWN away by the quality of the paint and graphics. I could not believe the amount of work put into one of these 30-40-ish footers and what the end result became. It was life-like... :eek:

Dr. Dan
03-23-2007, 09:05 PM

Scotts right...every one of them looked bad... this year in Atlantic City, the 22 Classic they had there had the Lettering to the rear and the Dolphin/Griffin Shield to the front...pretty sure it wasn't "Artistic License" it looked fine to the unknowing eye...but I kept looking at it saying what's wrong with this picture...then it jumped out at me? :spongebob

I would love to hear the real reason they paint the boats like this...especially a Premium Limited Production Boat.... it makes no sense to me... I'd rather have it right and straight than a half assed and rushed? Maybe one of the Factory guys or Frank can find out for us....:bighug:

I like the concept, I love the raised hatch, and they do look cool from a distance... but as is ...I would have to do a $15,000 stop off in Howell New Jersey before it ever landed in my driveway....permanently.

Doc of the Detail Impaired & Random Craftmanship :smash:

DonCig
03-23-2007, 09:29 PM
Scotts right...every one of them looked bad... this year in Atlantic City, the 22 Classic they had there had the Lettering to the rear and the Dolphin/Griffin Shield to the front...pretty sure it wasn't "Artistic License" it looked fine to the unknowing eye...but I kept looking at it saying what's wrong with this picture...then it jumped out at me? :spongebob
I would love to hear the real reason they paint the boats like this...especially a Premium Limited Production Boat.... it makes no sense to me... I'd rather have it right and straight than a half assed and rushed? Maybe one of the Factory guys or Frank can find out for us....:bighug:
I like the concept, I love the raised hatch, and they do look cool from a distance... but as is ...I would have to do a $15,000 stop off in Howell New Jersey before it ever landed in my driveway....permanently.
Doc of the Detail Impaired & Random Craftmanship :smash:

Sorry Ladies and Gentlemen, I hate to use an old line but in this case as well as a few other recent topices on current manufacturing practices by Donzi the answer is right in front of your eyes; follow the money!
I watch it every day, there are two ways to build a product. You can build it to a retail price point or you can build it to a cost plus price point. Both are significantly different paths. I will guarantee that Donzi knows to the dollar the differences in their cost of gel versus painting. I am sure that they made a conscious decision to choose the route that they followed. So if you do not like the product; vote with sugar and your money. They are the only tools at our disposal.
Persoanally I still like some of the products they produce, but I would like them to pursue qualiity to the point that it improves their bottom line. I could write books on the subject.

Don

Don

Carl C
03-23-2007, 09:39 PM
The paint is thick and tough. I thought it was gel coat and the shop did too at first. It's not perfect but these aren't half million $ Cigs. I still don't know why they rig them first unless it's to make sure the finish doesn't get damaged during rigging. Even my bow light was masked off and has a ring of paint around it.

Cuda
03-23-2007, 11:08 PM
If I'm not mistaken, Donzi just hired a new painter a few months ago from some other builder up north. I don't know if he did the boats in question or not, but I heard he is supposed to be one of the best.

Dr. Dan
03-24-2007, 03:52 AM
If I'm not mistaken, Donzi just hired a new painter a few months ago from some other builder up north. I don't know if he did the boats in question or not, but I heard he is supposed to be one of the best.

:wink: I am almost positive the gentleman you are talking about didn't do the Shelby's we saw...for one, the worst one was the one we saw last year in Atlantic City, it was the darker blue and had massive overspray, so it pre-dated his tenure. That Shelby also had some rigging issues where the Drive Centerline and the Hardware for the rear Lift Ring were visually not centered, it was wierd. So there are issues other than those of a Spray Gun.

I also heard he is highly skilled so I would imagine he can only help.... to be honest... it's just a matter of slowing down and watching the details. How much time does it save to have the Trim Tabs on the Transom prior to spraying it? To me they would only get in the way? Let alone having that area not coated with paint... to me the Tabs were the the largest standout area you could notice the overspray. Even if they had taken the time to clean it off it woulda looked liked they made an effort, this boat looked like a rush job...period.

In defense of the Factory it could be that I just saw a couple of exceptions...I still love the Boats and I would buy another...

Doc of Blind Men & Monkey's

Scott Pearson
03-24-2007, 08:09 AM
Whatever the issue with cost is I understand but it still doesnt call for their work to look the way it does. Also there is no reason why they cant cut all the holes, paint them and then rig them. Just be careful putting them together. Its easy....In fact it would take alot less time thats for sure! You dont have to mask all that stuff off and then buff around everything. Their losing money doing it that way....and I'm sure some customers.

roadtrip se
03-24-2007, 05:42 PM
was assembled in January according to the dealer, so maybe the new guy is just getting to do the high end, preemo stuff like the 38s and 43s.

The build quality on this boat was exceptional. Paint? Another story...

Carl C
03-24-2007, 06:01 PM
The painted sides, stripe and stern of my boat are mostly perfect. There is absolutely zero lemon peel or runs. There is one small flaw in the front stripe. There is a ring of paint around the base of everything. I'd like to see this Shelby to compare because I think my paint job is excellent.

cigarette30
03-25-2007, 11:57 AM
I hate to say it guys, but had I known the quality had dropped as it has, I would not have ordered my last one. I never knew the blue was now paint, and the thought of installing hardware then painting, (look around the tabs, and all outlets) then look at the wiring, the gel problems, and now the concerns of cracks under the engine ......... Hey, the screws are all straight though :(. And we talk price point $50,000 - $60,000 for a new 22' foot boat, thats not the quality I expected. Sorry.

BigGrizzly
03-25-2007, 12:05 PM
I don't want to be a stick in the mud, but I am not impressed with either the boat the color combos or fit and finish. The raised X is not impressive (how much faster does it really make it?). Weight of 750lbs up 2 inches is different but minor in this case this case. the color combos chosen are not to my liking. the fit and finish. Scott was a little harsh but his stuff is top drawer, he does everything like he owned it. However for the price and the name Donzi - never go to a show with anything that is not perfect. There is no excuse for the over spray not being cleaned up. It is like Ted or Person going to a rally with a dirty boat(it will never happen). On the up side the hatch looks great I would love to put one on my Criterion, without destroying the original one of course. I need to copy that somehow. As for the other appointments, they are just late style off the shelf items. the pod shifters are cheaper and easier to install and service than the old in the side mounts. Me, I don't personally care for them they take up too much room. I do however slightly disagree with DonC. on the two paths in this case. This is a specialty boat and doesn't really cost that much more to produce than a stock boat with the same appointments to produce. I know this from working at a manufacturer. I can remember a discussion with Road trip and a discussion of the SE he wanted ( it isn't around any more). I told him he could duplicate it on the boat he already owned cheaper and better for his application. Look what he has! Notice, he didn't pull out his check book. Believe me if he wanted it Jill would reach into her pocket and give him his check book. I'm not trying to beat it up, but fit and finish is a selling point and this discussion proves it. I can guarantee if Pearson painted it and color chlorinated it this discussion would be " Oh what a great boat". The other flaws would be hidden. Auto guys know that to pay special attention to the driver side detail, both in design and fit and finish. Research shows that buyers look almost exclusively at that side of the car. Other fit and finish problems show up later after delivery. I am not mister clean by any stretch of the imagination. My priority is inside of the engine and mechanical workings, total speed is secondary. Scott P is right it does cost more to paint after assembly. You think cars are painted last, not hardly. It isn't like Donzi builds 20 of them than waits for someone to order one than paints it to suit. I love Donzis, that a fact, and will always own one. BTW there were flaws on the larger boats as well just people didn't notice them as there was so much that distracted them. I saw Donnie (marine clean) and his wife work their butts off at Miami to make these craft look as perfect as possible.

Carl C
03-25-2007, 06:54 PM
That sucks..........:(

RickSE
03-28-2007, 02:03 PM
Some other info,

Donzi switched from BASF paints to PPG recently.

Donzi has three significant paint booths, one brand new, at the end of the production line. Practically everything coming down the line is now solid white, looks strange since the line used to be full of color.

BigGrizzly
03-28-2007, 06:41 PM
The best paint booth in the world doesn't matter its the painter. Paint didn't cause the problems either. the QC department should have caught the problems, and corrected them!