PDA

View Full Version : 22Cs: Gel or Imron?

Carl C
03-21-2007, 09:50 PM
As many of you know, my 22C is in the shop getting work done. I just talked with the service manager and he informed me that the back and bow of the boat have been painted with imron. I am the original owner. Did this boat come from the factory like this? Was it maybe damaged and painted at the dealer? I've heard others point out the overspray on the exh tips, outdrive, etc. Would this indicate that all 22Cs are now painted with imron? BTW, they said my boat will be ready in about a week!:yippie:

yeller
03-21-2007, 10:40 PM
I believe all the new ones are painted. I know 06's are painted, not sure if the earlier ones are. My 04 is gel, but the stripe is painted.

If your dealer said the bow and back are painted, but not the sides, he may have been taking about your stripe only

mrfixxall
03-22-2007, 08:04 AM
As many of you know, my 22C is in the shop getting work done. I just talked with the service manager and he informed me that the back and bow of the boat have been painted with imron. I am the original owner. Did this boat come from the factory like this? Was it maybe damaged and painted at the dealer? I've heard others point out the overspray on the exh tips, outdrive, etc. Would this indicate that all 22Cs are now painted with imron? BTW, they said my boat will be ready in about a week!:yippie:

donzi somtimes uses what they call "hard coat" which is a sikkens urathane clear and your boat may have sikkens paint on it as well...

BigGrizzly
03-22-2007, 08:18 AM
I doubt that Donzi would paint with the exhaust tips on and unprotected.

Carl C
03-22-2007, 08:40 AM
I doubt that Donzi would paint with the exhaust tips on and unprotected.Not unprotected overspray but a little paint that indicates that the finish was applied with the boat rigged and masked.

DickB
03-22-2007, 09:08 AM
Why not ask Donzi?

Ranman
03-22-2007, 07:46 PM
I have been to the factory in recent years. All of the Classics are solid white gel and the deck and boot stripes are painted on. Also, if the hull color option is selected, that is painted with Imron as well. Donzi showed us the seperate area where this painting happens.

Older boats are all gel. not sure what year this changed, but it is somewhere around 2000 ish.

Carl C
03-22-2007, 08:05 PM
I have been to the factory in recent years. All of the Classics are solid white gel and the deck and boot stripes are painted on. Also, if the hull color option is selected, that is painted with Imron as well. Donzi showed us the seperate area where this painting happens.
Older boats are all gel. not sure what year this changed, but it is somewhere around 2000 ish. Thanks, that would explain it since I do have the colored (coloured to you, Yeller :wink: ) sides and transom. It seems like it would be easier to paint them before rigging though.:boggled:

LKSD
03-24-2007, 07:04 AM
Im not saying that paint on A 22 is not possible, but my experineces have been as follows:

My 06 22c was gel. They also gave me a qt of white & a qt of black gel coat with it when I took delivery of it new.. Donzi does paint some of thier boats. When they do it is mainly Dupont Diamont base / clear over a solid color gelcoat hull.. ;)

Carl, I would wonder why your hull has Imron on it.. If the gel was touched up & sprayed on without enough masking it may have had some overspray that would resemble paint. It may have been touched up with minicraft spray gel.. Didn't you get a quart of each gel color when you bought your boat?? I know the later model years came with the hull to give to the customer.. Even my new leftover 2006 26zx that also has paint on it came with at least the white gel for touch up.. :)

Jamie / lakeside

Carl C
03-24-2007, 07:30 AM
Jamie, I got a quart of white gel but no yellow. The thread on "Shelby Impressions" confirms that the boats are now painted and are painted after rigging. My shop may have been mistaken on the type of paint but they ordered it from Donzi. (They paint on the bow was damaged when my boat was rearended and jammed up on the bow stop)

LKSD
03-24-2007, 10:50 AM
Could be that yours & some others were painted.. I know they do paint some hulls. I just wanted to help you be sure thats all.. Mainly because mine had come with black & white gel, as well as annother 05 classic sitting in my shop..

That sux though that you had to go thru more grief with your ride..

Hopefully the upcoming summer will be good to all of us though.. ;) Jamie

yeller
03-24-2007, 01:18 PM
My 06 22c was gel. Well, I stand corrected. I looked at a navy 06. Coloured sides and deck with white stripe and it was all paint. I figured they all came that way.

Pismo
03-24-2007, 02:41 PM
My '96 22 is all gel that's for sure. Gel blows, way too much work. Paint holds up to the sun much better anyhow, certainly not mechanically as strong as gel. Paint over the same color gel would be a good combo. Little sun wear and if you scratch it, hard to see.

need for speed
03-24-2007, 04:12 PM
my 05 has some yellow overspray on the tabs...

LKSD
03-24-2007, 05:07 PM
my 05 has some yellow overspray on the tabs...

Your lucky that they didn't charge you extra for that option... lol... :D Jamie

LKSD
03-24-2007, 05:09 PM
My '96 22 is all gel that's for sure. Gel blows, way too much work. Paint holds up to the sun much better anyhow, certainly not mechanically as strong as gel. Paint over the same color gel would be a good combo. Little sun wear and if you scratch it, hard to see.

They both have thier pros & cons.. I guess it depends on what you like better anymore. We do both in our shop.

I can see paint making much more sense on some colors, especially on the bright or dark colors that are prone to fading. J ;)

LKSD
03-24-2007, 05:12 PM
Well, I stand corrected. I looked at a navy 06. Coloured sides and deck with white stripe and it was all paint. I figured they all came that way.

It would not supprise me that some come like that. Some stuff is not possible in gel. Especially if it has any pearlessence in it. People are going to really have to be careful anymore when getting repairs done or when doing touch ups.

J