PDA

View Full Version : Cold Weather

catch 22
03-21-2007, 11:59 AM
As most people may know my 22 has a ProCharger M3. I did the Lake Harris Poker Run this past Saturday and it was about 38 to 40 degrees in the morning . I was wondering if the cool weather would have any effects on its performance. My dad and I went for a ride and I was hoping that the cool weather would help it's performance, but it didn't. I was told that the cool weather may confuse the ecu and make the engine run richer. Is this true. I was only able to make one pass with me and my dad and it only ran 87mph @ 5000rpm. I think I might have had a fuel filter issue but that will be fixed. The boat has run 90mph in the past @ 5200rpm. Any advice would be appreciated.

DONZI
03-21-2007, 06:03 PM
Here's an online calculator that should give ya some insight.:)

http://wahiduddin.net/calc/calc_hp.htm

Barry Eller
03-21-2007, 06:04 PM
I was only able to make one pass with me and my dad and it only ran 87mph @ 5000rpm.

Only 87?
Check your rocker arms....:bonk:

What is the fuel filter problem? Any change in fuel pressure in a supercharged application could cause a RPM drop.

I don't think the new gasoline makes as much power either.

You are still going faster than 22's were designed to go!:yes:

The Hedgehog
03-21-2007, 06:29 PM
I guess it depends on who reprogrammed the ECU (if you had it done)and where they set the cold start mode to kick in. I have the same problem. I seem to need to be running north of 110 degrees. With no thermostat I can't even get to 100 this time of the year. I discussed this with Mark Boos at PMEFI. He told me I could put in a 120 degree thermostat for the winter but that I would want to take it out in the summer.

For now winter = black transom and slower boat.

The other option is to trick the monitor to think that the temperature is actually higher. My mechanic has actually done this before the days of reprogramming. I think that Procharger even had a kit for this at one time.

I guess that another option is to lower the fuel pressure. You better be using an EGT guage if you start playing around with that. You will still want to check plugs once you think you have it figured out.

One of the reasons that my new exhaust has EGT bungs.