PDA

View Full Version : How hard can it be...

zelatore
03-20-2007, 06:06 PM
...to buy a 22 Classic???

I've been running around like a fool the last month or so trying to nail down a decent 22C in my budget. First I decide on one boat only to find the owner has decided he's keeping it. Then I find another and loose out on an auction in the last 4 seconds. I've got my eye on anther one actually on the west coast, but the owner isn't sending me pics and since it's 700 miles away I'm not real keen to just take his word for everything sight-unseen. There's another boat in the mid-west, but the owner hasn't returned my emails.....ARGH!

Sorry, just venting. The frustration is killing me. Every time I get close, it get's yanked out from my grasp.

Don

BigGrizzly
03-20-2007, 06:29 PM
Venting is good. I understand the budget thing. Maybe your a little shy on the budget. Truth you usually get what you pay for. Once you have a Donzi you will understand the change of heart people have when it comes to selling a Donzi. Some board members have wanted them since they were kids and have finally gotten their dream. There are ten I can think of right now.

22zxla
03-20-2007, 06:39 PM
You could see if anyone on the board lives close to were the boats are and see if they can take a look for you. I see this happen on here and other boards regularly. good luck!

Donzigo
03-20-2007, 06:42 PM
I was thinking the same thing. I always love tot alk to people when they are looking for a boat. I've looked at countless boats for others people, as well. Three people bought the boats and are very happy with them. It's always a great feeling to help someone buy a nice one.

MDonziM
03-20-2007, 06:45 PM
I was literally getting into my car 2years ago to drive 1400 miles to miami to buy a 22 when the owner calls and says the eng compression test showed a bad cyl. He then proceeds to not return calls, list the boat on ebay, say he's having the eng rebuilt,etc. for weeks. Six weeks later i found a far better 22, closer, fresh water boat which i bought for a fair price from a decent guy who kept his word. There are a million stories with used boats. I was looking into one 22 in indiana, guy says its a fresh water boat, I find out its a bank repo from north carolina probably sank in a hurricane. Dig into the history, call donzi to check the vin#, check the warranty history from mercruiser etc. Most donzi owners are enthusiasts and know everything about the boat, if there is a lack of information/records, assume the worst. Granted there are more to choose from on the east coast, but they are out there. Good luck.

98shovel
03-20-2007, 06:58 PM
wheres the boat i live in the northwest and could go look

Carl C
03-20-2007, 07:38 PM
I looked at a couple used ones before I decided to buy a new one. You can get good financing and you'll be running close to 75 mph.

roadtrip se
03-20-2007, 08:54 PM
for this very reason. Have patience and realize that you are probably going to have the Classic for a very long time.

I drove to the Quantico area from Texas to pick up a used boat that wasn't even close to as described by the owner. Tore up the money order.

I drove to Lanier from Texas to pick up a leftover. The dealer had never started the boat and when we went to the water to do the demo, the boat would not start. Turned out to be a pinched fuel line under the deck. Tore up the money order.

Agreed on a price on a leftover in Chicago and a ballpark price on a trailer.
"Salesperson" called me back the next day and quoted me $7200 for a stock Eagle steel trailer. Tore up the money order, but at least I didn't drive for this one.

Finally, I just ordered one and had it in the lake within six weeks.

Repeating some of the advice already given here, have a board member check the target boat for you, but don't waste somebody's time. Be realistic on what you should expect to pay and don't waste the seller's time. Be patient and take your time. There are a lot of nice boats out there. Good luck.

gero1
03-20-2007, 09:57 PM
a month or so? it took me 35 years! and i still can't believe i own one

Jamesbon
03-20-2007, 10:01 PM
I understand your plight. Being a salesman in the marine industry, I'll let you know what gets "our" attention. If you find a "nice 22C," get their fax or e-mail address, send them a "reasonable" offer in writing with your continginceis and a copy of a check for 10% of your offer. With that said, they will know you are a serious buyer. If you don't get a response from that, their probably jack asses that you don't want to deal with anyway. Keep looking till you find a seller that is willing to communicate with you. Ask for extra digital pics if need be, anyone serious about selling should be able to produce that for a qualified buyer.

Also, keep in mind, if a "cherry" vessel doesn't start on the sea trial or some other minor issue arises like a squeaky belt or water pump that isn't pumping water, give them a chance to make it good. I've seen many, many FANTASTIC deals go up in smoke due to a "hundred dollar, everyday, fixable problem."

Good luck with your search!

What's your price range anyway? I've been scouring the market for the last couple weeks and am up to date on ALL used 22C's out there. As soon as the Concept is gone....I'M PULLING THE TRIGGER!!! :eek!:

Cuda
03-20-2007, 10:07 PM
A decent 22 doesn't come cheap. If you buy one that needs work, you'll end up spending more than if you bought one in great shape. I didn't really want to sell my Minx, but the guy offered me the right money, and I just got home from delivering it to him, which was a 500 mile round trip for me. The best bet is to either buy a new, or nearly new one, that's still under warranty, or find one that someone else has sunk all the money into, and let them take the hit. You never get back all the money you put into a boat.
At least I had the pleasure of eating dinner with Jim "Red" Catch 22, and Gina. :)

Cuda
03-20-2007, 10:16 PM
There is most likely a member on this forum near any 22 your are interested in that would mine looking at one for you. I looked at one for a guy in Texas, and told him I thought it was a fine deal. He ended up buying it, and is really pleased with it.

None of us mind having a reason to go look at a Donzi.:wink:

vonkamp
03-20-2007, 10:33 PM
None of us mind having a reason to go look at a Donzi.

Yea... what Cuda said

yeller
03-20-2007, 11:41 PM
Unfortunately zelatore, we're on the wrong coast when Donzi shopping. I know you really want one this spring/summer, but be patient, it may take longer. You're budget is on the bottom end of the 'good ones' pricing, so it may take awhile to find your boat. Also, the spring is the most expensive time for boat buying. When I was looking, I found the best deals seemed to come up around August to October.

undertaker
03-21-2007, 06:36 AM
Zelatore, there is a nice 2001 22 classic w/ 502 100 hrs at Jackson Marine Sales in Northeast, Maryland I know its on the wrong coast but I would be glad to go take a look at it for ya, I know the folks at Jackson very well, besides I need a break from vaporizing bodies:wink: :wink: . Let me know....

Undertaker

PS Price they are asking seems good IMO, but have not seen the boat. Good luck....

undertaker
03-21-2007, 06:41 AM
As a side note I know you are on a budget.....but I thought I would throw my offer out to ya maybe you could swing it......:wink: :wink:

Undertaker:convertib

zelatore
03-21-2007, 10:02 AM
Thanks for the input guys. Regarding a couple of the comments-

I do know a little about buying and selling boats. I'm a licenced salesman in CA although I haven't been actively selling for about 4 years. I work for a Carver dealer and moved from sales to service manager a while back because I wanted to have the occasional weekend off and not work 24/7. Less money, but at least I get to have a schedule that roughly coincides with friends/family.

I've been looking at boats anywhere in the country. I'm in the San Fran area myself, but I've looked at North Carolina, Chicago, Louisville, Ohio, Texas, Michigan... I'm not afraid of a road trip! But some of the boats sell before I get to them; some turn out not to be what I expected; and most frustratingly some of the people don't get back in touch with me!

The budget is basically what I can afford cash - I'm strictly forbidden to get a loan by she-that-must-be-obeyed. And really, I don't disagree. That means I need to keep it in the lower $20's. That seems to mean a boat from the early 90's in decent shape.

I did contact the guys in the NE about the '01 502 boat. However when I realized it didn't even have a trailer I had to decline. I was stretching to get to their price point (high 20's) + about $3K to ship it, plus another $3K or so for a trailer...I didn't want to harrase them with a low-ball offer. Sure, if they wanted to sell it for $20K I'd talk, but I don't expect them to drop their pants on a deal just because I'm on the wrong side of the country.
(of course, we just had a guy come in and offer $275K on a Carver 530 with an asking price of $395K...no shame)

There is one boat you guys might be able to help me with - in the classifieds Slick has a 22 in Louisville that looks like a posibility. Yeah, he's in the upper 20's, but he's got the trailer and it will cost a few bucks less to truck from Kentucky to CA than from Maryland. And you can't really argue with a blower. I've treid PM'ing him a couple times but no response - any of you know the boat or have a contact number for him? Hey, if we can talk I could be on a plane this weekend.

There's probably a few other items I should address, but it's 8:00 and I've got a room full of techs waiting for their jobs for the day. Better go!

Don

Formula Jr
03-21-2007, 11:22 AM
Well, welcome the west coast donzi problem.

These are not well known boats here. I've travelled the entire west coast, several times and not seen a single one at a marina. They are just not there. To live here on the west coast, and to want a donzi, you will have to resolve the concept that the boat will be a distant boat some where in the midwest or Florida or Michigan. And You'll have to bring it home. Ship or tow. A Northwest listed "real" Donzi is a very rare thing.

undertaker
03-21-2007, 08:40 PM
Thanks for the input guys. Regarding a couple of the comments-
I do know a little about buying and selling boats. I'm a licenced salesman in CA although I haven't been actively selling for about 4 years. I work for a Carver dealer and moved from sales to service manager a while back because I wanted to have the occasional weekend off and not work 24/7. Less money, but at least I get to have a schedule that roughly coincides with friends/family.
I've been looking at boats anywhere in the country. I'm in the San Fran area myself, but I've looked at North Carolina, Chicago, Louisville, Ohio, Texas, Michigan... I'm not afraid of a road trip! But some of the boats sell before I get to them; some turn out not to be what I expected; and most frustratingly some of the people don't get back in touch with me!
The budget is basically what I can afford cash - I'm strictly forbidden to get a loan by she-that-must-be-obeyed. And really, I don't disagree. That means I need to keep it in the lower $20's. That seems to mean a boat from the early 90's in decent shape.
I did contact the guys in the NE about the '01 502 boat. However when I realized it didn't even have a trailer I had to decline. I was stretching to get to their price point (high 20's) + about $3K to ship it, plus another $3K or so for a trailer...I didn't want to harrase them with a low-ball offer. Sure, if they wanted to sell it for $20K I'd talk, but I don't expect them to drop their pants on a deal just because I'm on the wrong side of the country.
(of course, we just had a guy come in and offer $275K on a Carver 530 with an asking price of $395K...no shame)
There is one boat you guys might be able to help me with - in the classifieds Slick has a 22 in Louisville that looks like a posibility. Yeah, he's in the upper 20's, but he's got the trailer and it will cost a few bucks less to truck from Kentucky to CA than from Maryland. And you can't really argue with a blower. I've treid PM'ing him a couple times but no response - any of you know the boat or have a contact number for him? Hey, if we can talk I could be on a plane this weekend.
There's probably a few other items I should address, but it's 8:00 and I've got a room full of techs waiting for their jobs for the day. Better go!
Don

IMO if the boat is nice enough it never hurts to give a low ball offer or maybe work a deal on the shipping trailer thing, in my past experience with Jackson Marine they are willing to work a deal on some of the minor details (Trailer & Shipping). Also IMO maybe the she-that-must-be-obeyed might be open to MAYBE:wink: taking a SMALL loan on the difference of Cash vs selling price if the boat is NICE....sometimes you need to maybe over spend to get something ya really want especially when its a Donzi....Good luck in whatever you do, if I can be of any help to ya let me know 484-614-7311 or PM or Email:) :) :)

Undertaker:cool:

zelatore
03-21-2007, 09:33 PM
Well, maybe I'll give the guys a Jackson a call and see what they can do on a trailer. Never hurts to ask, right?

I'd still like to get in touch with Slick here on the board in Louisville - it seems he's not watching his PM's though. Anybody out there know the guy? Maybe a phone number or other contact info than PM?

Don

joel3078
03-22-2007, 03:05 AM
http://adcache.boattraderonline.com/6/2/9/88016929.htm

This one is close to you as compared to the rest of them. It's in your budget also. What you may want to do is hire an surveyor/inspector to look at the boat for you. Probably save you a lot of time and money in the long run. You sell boats so I'm sure you know what a surveyor is. Your insurance company may demand a recent survey anyway before they will insure it.

zelatore
03-22-2007, 04:13 AM
I talked with him last weekend. He was supposed to email me more pics and info, but nothing so far. I've tried to call him back, but just got his voice mail. It's possible he's traveling or ???.

I've already figured the cost to go pick it up. It's 700 miles from where I'm sitting now to the boat. My truck gets about 15 mpg empty/10 towing...you can do the math.

He was pretty straight-forward with me and admitted it wasn't the cleanest boat; it's had some gell work that wasn't well blended. As he put it 'it's not like those guys on the Donzi board who all want perfect boats, but it's pretty good from 10 feet'. Classic...

Undertaker - did you by chance give the guys over at Jackson a call? I just got an email from them with new pricing including a trailer. Hmmm....getting warmer!

Don

Dr. Dan
03-22-2007, 08:41 AM
Z Man!

I was speaking to a very close friend the other night and he told me ...his long time Buddy is interested in getting rid of his...I will have to get the contact info. I think he is in Tennesee or Kentucky area...he is not a member here but its a Red 22 Classic, with a King Cobra.... I am almost positive it would need some TLC but I know he had some work done to it ...new seats etc... he just does not use it an would rather someone get the joy of a Donzi rather than let it sit.

I will check into it...and see what I can find out...it has to be a 92 or 93 I believe, and I think he repowered it a few years back...

I will let ya know what I find out!

PM Me your number ...can't remember if you have before...

Later

Doc of the Bay :wink:

roadtrip se
03-22-2007, 09:01 AM
Don,

I am working out of my place at Lake Cumberland, Ky as we speak.
Should be around these parts until the middle of next week. If you can get ahold of Leo, can't help with his contact info, I would be happy to go up to L-ville to give his beast the once over. I remember it to be a nice ride last time I saw it and ask anyone here, I am as picky as they get when it comes down to details.

Let me know.

Cuda
03-22-2007, 10:15 AM
I am as picky as they get when it comes down to details.
Have you ever met Catch 22?:tongue: :biggrin.: :biggrin.:

pmreed
03-22-2007, 10:29 AM
Must be the "22". There's Air 22, and Catch 22; both as picky or more so than the old king of clean...Tomahawk.

Phil

MDonziM
03-22-2007, 10:44 AM
If your interested in it, the 22 that Joel linked looks like one that was owned by a guy named Gene from Michigan and had it for sale here 2yrs ago when I was looking. Had the cobra painted under the hatch, pop up bow light, taylor crocket sp? 454. Seemed to be in good shape then.

undertaker
03-23-2007, 12:33 PM
I talked with him last weekend. He was supposed to email me more pics and info, but nothing so far. I've tried to call him back, but just got his voice mail. It's possible he's traveling or ???.
I've already figured the cost to go pick it up. It's 700 miles from where I'm sitting now to the boat. My truck gets about 15 mpg empty/10 towing...you can do the math.
He was pretty straight-forward with me and admitted it wasn't the cleanest boat; it's had some gell work that wasn't well blended. As he put it 'it's not like those guys on the Donzi board who all want perfect boats, but it's pretty good from 10 feet'. Classic...
Undertaker - did you by chance give the guys over at Jackson a call? I just got an email from them with new pricing including a trailer. Hmmm....getting warmer!
Don

Z Man let me know if you want me to check Jackson's boat out this weekend I would love an excuse to get out of town for the day... Let me know 484-614-7311. I consider myself very anal about everything especially Donzi's:wink:

Undertaker

zelatore
03-23-2007, 12:46 PM
Undertaker - sounds like a good plan and I'd appreciate the hands-on inspection. I'm doing a review of the old fincances and with some creativity I might just make an offer on that boat in a couple days. You only live once and all... I haven't talked to them about the trailer they've got for it, so I don't know if it's something they have on-site or if they're plannig to have one built locally or ???

I got the pictures on the 91 in OR last night - I think MdonzM is right about it coming from Michigan. I seem to remember the owner saying something about that, and it has a big cobra painted on the underside of the engine hatch.

The pics show the boat basically as-described. Decent, but it does need some work. It's had some poor gell repairs, there are some chips and scratchs, some stains in the interior, etc. Nothing that can't be fixed. The guy seems pretty straight-up and I feel comfortable enough with him, it's just a matter of me weighing the work I'd want to do to it, the colors, and it's proximity vs say spending a little more for the boat at Jackson.

At the moment, Jackson's boat is looking pretty tempting. Just got to crunch some numbers when I get home this weekend.

Don

undertaker
03-23-2007, 01:34 PM
Don, I will shoot down to Jackson's on Sunday to take a looksy for you no problem glad to help you out, pm me a phone number, so I can give you some info about the boat..... Who are you talking to at Jackson's just curious.... Bob Mitchell sold me my 28ZX & 33ZX...... Will be in touch..:) :)

Undertaker

Dr. Dan
03-23-2007, 08:49 PM
Don, I will shoot down to Jackson's on Sunday to take a looksy for you no problem glad to help you out, pm me a phone number, so I can give you some info about the boat..... Who are you talking to at Jackson's just curious.... Bob Mitchell sold me my 28ZX & 33ZX...... Will be in touch..:) :)
Undertaker

Let me know if ya want a partner...I could use a good meal or a few drinks...I think it's still your turn to buy anyway? :eek!:

Liz is going to a concert in Allentown Sunday so I might be bored.

Doc of the Bay!:wink:

undertaker
03-23-2007, 09:23 PM
I will give you a call.....sounds like a plan:) :)

Cuda
03-23-2007, 11:45 PM
I don't know if you want one that needs some work, but I saw this on ebay. I love the stainless windsheild.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/DONZI-22-CLASSIC-12-900-00-Unbelievable-Deal_W0QQitemZ180094991410QQcategoryZ31271QQssPage NameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Cuda
03-24-2007, 11:01 PM
This looks like it fits the bill. I'm sure there are Donzi owners in Bradenton that would look at it for you. I might be down that way next weekend. I'm probably going to St Pete anyway, and will probably run down to see the boats at the PRA run in Sarasota.

http://adcache.boattraderonline.com/6/5/8/86096758.htm

zelatore
03-25-2007, 01:08 AM
Cuda,

I've seen both those ads. The first one is all over the 'net. While you might be able to get it at a decent price and make a good boat out of it, I just don't have the time for a project these days. It would be fun to do a build-up, but I'm only home 2 days a week and I've already got more than one iron in the fire.

I did try to contact the second boat in FL - I asked for some info and pics other that what appears to be a file photo but never heard back from them.

With any luck Undertaker and Dr. Dan will give me a good bill of health on the '01 boat at Jackson tomorrow and I'll make an offer on it. Otherwise I may try to contact the FL boat you mentioned again. The price sounds decent for the year, but the ad has so little info it's hard to tell what it is.

Don

Dr. Dan
03-25-2007, 05:29 AM
I will give you a call.....sounds like a plan:) :)

Okay...I will bring the Camera....Liz and I actually..ate at Woody's last night...hour and a half wait... but it's always worth it. I will wait for your call oh great Train Collector!

Doc of Bay Side Retail Transactional & Geographical Visual Impairament & Spontaneous Purchases :bonk:

undertaker
03-25-2007, 08:24 AM
See ya in a little bit Doc. We will be in touch Zelatore:) :) :)

Undertaker:cool:

Cuda
03-25-2007, 08:52 AM
I doubt that the Bradenton boat is a file picture. They don't put fat guys who need a shave in file pictures, and no bikini babe on board.

zelatore
03-25-2007, 10:59 AM
OK - looks like you're right. I didn't even zoom in on the pic since it looked so 'staged'; must have been a poker run or some other event where they had a helicopotor available.

Gotta to- the phone is ringing; could be my east coast spies calling with an update.

Don

zelatore
03-25-2007, 11:16 AM
Too slow again!

Ed, Dan - thanks for the update. I called to make and offer about 5 minutes after I got off the phone with you but I was too late. The other couple you saw there talking to Woody had already beat me too it. Apparently they had come out on Saturday and were just finalizing the deal today. As they say, the deal ain't closed until the check clears, but Woody did feel it was pretty solid.

Must be the spring weather - that boat's been on their website for at lest a month, then I come in ONE DAY too late.

Sooooo close...

Cuda - let me know if you get in touch with the boat in Bradenton. I left another message for them today. I think the seller's name is Dan.

Don 'too slow on the draw' Happel

zelatore
03-25-2007, 07:59 PM
Fingers crossed - I might have a boat....

I got a call from Woody right as they were closing. Seems the deal they had on the boat is unraveling with the wife pushing for a family bow rider.

I'll be talking to them again when they open tomorrow.

Undertaker - Dr. Dan - If this goes through I'd like to have an outside mechanic give the boat a once-over and run a leak down on it. Any suggestions? I'm sure Jackson's mechanics are more than up to it, but it's always best to get a 3rd party involved in these things. I know I won't let my mechanics do an inspection on a boat we're selling just to avoid any issues.

Don 'holding my breath' Happel

undertaker
03-26-2007, 12:50 PM
There is a guy right next to Jackson Marine, his name is Norm not sure of his last name he ran with Doc and I in the Rock the Bay poker run his shop Bay Performance is right next door he has a 42 Fountain and does a lot of performance work. his web site I think is www.bayperformanceinc.com. There are other marinas near by if ya do a google search that would stear you in the right direction.

As a side not the mechanics at Jackson are very good they did all my work on my 28 & 33ZX I would not hesitate to have them give it a look over, IMO they would not be bias Woody would want the boat sold exactly like you would want it he is a straight shooter:) :) .. Good luck let me know if I can help ya out any further....

Undertaker