PDA

View Full Version : MOP...anybody...need info on setting back lash

smoothie
03-20-2007, 03:02 PM
Im in the process of rebuilding the lower unit on a mercury mark 55...the service manual says to check it and set it with shim stock but doesnt show what to use to check it with...the only thing I've found is the attached pic..(bottom row,tool far right)I have an indicator but nothing else????

mrfixxall
03-20-2007, 05:41 PM
Im in the process of rebuilding the lower unit on a mercury mark 55...the service manual says to check it and set it with shim stock but doesnt show what to use to check it with...the only thing I've found is the attached pic..(bottom row,tool far right)I have an indicator but nothing else????

you also need a dial indicater to measure the backlash,,it rests on the little tab to measure.

smoothie
03-20-2007, 06:05 PM
I have the dial indicator...but is the tab thats attached to the hose clamp the same radius per say as the gear....if not I would think the reading would be wrong???

Rootsy
03-20-2007, 07:54 PM
that tab should have marks stamped on or engraved into it at different distances from the center of the shaft.

On an alpha or bravo you also have a shimming tool to set the pinion depth, not familiar with the eggbeater unfortunately...

smoothie
03-31-2007, 02:31 PM
thanks Root! that did the trick...