PDA

View Full Version : My new tow vehicle

Jerry Eisele
03-17-2007, 06:39 AM
What do you think of the new tow vehicle?
Do you think it'll pull the 18'??:yes:

Carl C
03-17-2007, 06:42 AM
You can hang the 18 off the back for a tender!:wink:

Jerry Eisele
03-17-2007, 07:14 AM
Carl, I agree, I've had enough of this weather, bring on the SUN!!!!!!!!!!::

BUIZILLA
03-17-2007, 07:33 AM
that little red truck is for towing that boat ?? :bonk: :yes:

Jerry Eisele
03-17-2007, 08:37 AM
No, the Island Gypsy:yes:

DONZI
03-17-2007, 07:03 PM
I thought of you when i saw this ad Jerry.
http://boston.craigslist.org/gbs/boa/292061786.html

Best of luck with new addition.:)

McGary911
03-17-2007, 07:48 PM
Pretty neat. Old trawler? let's hear some details.....

I own a bigger boat with a friend, and sometimes we take them out together. Big boat's for sale. Here's a pic from a couple of years back. I can remember a great quote from one of my friends after a quick rip in the Crit'. "Careful John, don't hit your boat on your other boat" :wink: Made me laugh.

Good luck with your new fleet addition.....

Barry Eller
03-17-2007, 08:18 PM
Donzi's make great Yacht tenders. I have a friend (my best man in two of my three weddings) that has a 50' Hatteras Sport-fisher. "Yippy-Kai-Yay" has been "dingy" many times. The Hatteras is a great place to watch "Thunder on the Gulf" in Orange Beach,AL and the races in Destin,Fl. I usually get stuck with being the "Ferry Boat" for the parties.

Magicallbill
03-18-2007, 04:17 AM
Jer;
The Trawler looks better than the way you described it to me over the cell.
I want to sip a Mt. Dew in the cockpit while sitting in a slip somewhere!

Are you still gonna come over to see the band before long?
Let me know..

Jerry Eisele
03-18-2007, 06:38 AM
Thanks, It's a 1979, 30' Island Gypsy, 135 Ford Lahmen diesel, diesel generator, Bow thruster, windless, Radar, GPS chart plotter, Auto Helm, Autopilot, The interior is great along with the engine, genset etc... "as far as I can tell" {it was 10 degrees the last time I was able to see it} It needs some LOVE. It got loss while attached to the dock and took a ride down the river. It took some good licks on the gel coat and some tabs need re-glassing, so it looks like I'll be off the streets for the summer!! Diane doen't think I can go this slow, but, I'll give it a shot!! I'll keep you posted. We will be moving it from Cleveland to Port Clinton the first of June {by water with Ittilfli and his dad} so we'll see what happens.
Donzi, I love that little aft cabin Albin too!!

BUIZILLA
03-18-2007, 07:22 AM
those 135 Lehman's are unbreakable... i've worked on a ton of them...

Jerry Eisele
03-18-2007, 08:28 AM
The owner said he had the injecters worked on last year and the engine looked new inside, 1450 hours. I know oil and filters are a priority, is their anything else I should do to the engine before the 80 mile run?
Thanks

BUIZILLA
03-18-2007, 08:44 AM
two things....

the factory twin fuel filter arrangement only gets the rocks out.... that NEEDS to be improved...

also, muy' importante'... the injection pump has it's own oil reservoir if it's an early model, there is a level plug on the side towards the front, takes a 1/2" wrench, make sure the oil is to that level, better yet drain it from the 1/2" plug on the bottom and fill it through that screwdriver slotted cap on the top of the governor body itself to the level screw, fill it SLOWLY as the oil has to work through the middle ball bearing to get to the back of the cambox section. The weakest part of that pump is that the plunger return springs WILL break if any moisture gets in the cambox area for any reason, low oil level etc., easy to check, remove the side cover from the pump, two more 1/2" head scews and visually inspect the 6 springs. If all is then good, it'll run forever, or until one of those springs break, which is rare...

on the side of the pump body is a small tag, starting with the letter P is the pump code number... I can look up the rpm spec's from that number... should be 2500 rpm full load, 2750 rpm high idle rpm, cruise all damm day at 2100-2200 on about 5-6 gal/hour, maybe less, much less... your only talking about a 8-10 knot vessel here... maybe 12 knots over Niagra Falls...

valve adjustment check... might be time for that, easy to do... there is a HUGE Ford marine dealer in Mass somewhere for parts, Northcoast Ford or something like that...

should be 360" or 363" engine, two versions... basically a tractor engine... too bad it's not a turbo setup, I stock the turbo's for them..... you can turn the fuel pump up a tad, VERY EASY to do, two seconds if your drunk, one if your not, and get about 165 hp out of it....

Jerry Eisele
03-18-2007, 10:07 AM
Buizilla, Thanks for the info, I'll keep it in the manual. It's a 380cu/in. 6d380, rpm in the manual is 2500max under a load. The previous owner said he cruised at 8 knots/1800rpm.

BUIZILLA
03-18-2007, 10:13 AM
the 380 is the best Lehman made, good luck.

smoothie
03-20-2007, 01:26 PM
Jerry I dont know much about the big boats but I like the looks of this one...nice! Did you come up with a name yet??? How about "Jabbin Cabin":cool!:

Jerry Eisele
03-20-2007, 04:32 PM
Diane said she really doesn't think "Jabbin Cabin" is appropriate!! We went with LOLLYGAG

BGH18
03-20-2007, 08:48 PM
Nice boat Jerry, Enjoy her!:yes:

Jerry Eisele
03-21-2007, 04:28 AM
Thanks Brad, we will, but not this summer!!:yes: