PDA

View Full Version : Replacing Fuel Line

Vegas Classic
03-15-2007, 09:26 PM
I need to replace the fuel line to the carb on my 18, can you guys tell me what's the safest option I have? I thought somebody once commented on my line being unsafe though I can't find it. It actually has a soft spot on the end near the carb and I want to take care of it, it's going to be 90 here on Saturday, I want to hit the water!

http://homepage.mac.com/gtifrank/.Public/350.jpg

Thanks!

Frank

oldandtired
03-15-2007, 10:28 PM
The safest option would be to get a new line from merc. I think that they may have been refering to the USCG rules as far as "unsafe" goes. If I remember correctly, there is a prohibition against using rubber fuel lines on the engine itself. I don't see anything unsafe about your setup (I assume that it is factory merc). If the line feels wrong (soft, fraying, cracking) then go ahead and replace it. You could also go and get some braided lines made up at a local speed or possibly hydraulic shop. I wouldn't worry much until I knew there was a problem.

Rene

Vegas Classic
03-15-2007, 11:13 PM
Thanks, I found the stock line on the Merc website. I also talked to a friend who works at a race shop, so I guess I'm on the right track. I'll probably just go the stock route.

So the USGC requires a better line than stock, that's interesting. I was shocked to find out insurance isn't required in Nevada. With all the yahoos on our lakes out here, that amazes me.

Pismo
03-16-2007, 06:13 AM
Thanks, I found the stock line on the Merc website. I also talked to a friend who works at a race shop, so I guess I'm on the right track. I'll probably just go the stock route.
So the USGC requires a better line than stock, that's interesting. I was shocked to find out insurance isn't required in Nevada. With all the yahoos on our lakes out here, that amazes me.

Is insurance required anywhere? Even here in ultra regulation happy New England insurance isnt required.

MOP
03-16-2007, 06:36 AM
What is wrong with CG approved flexible lines? Using the solid steel Merc line on an app with a different carb can be a night mare that stuff does not bend without being ruined. I am willing to bet there are many on this board that have CG approved flexible lines me included. The designation is stamped into the rubber.

Phil

Barry Eller
03-16-2007, 07:35 AM
Can Teflon plumbers tape be used when connecting fuel lines to carb inlets or attaching line to fuel pump? Or is it best to just make sure the brass fittings are clean and tight....

Cuda
03-16-2007, 08:06 AM
Can Teflon plumbers tape be used when connecting fuel lines to carb inlets or attaching line to fuel pump? Or is it best to just make sure the brass fittings are clean and tight....
I use thread sealant. I have three different tubes of it, and I use whichever one happens to be handy. One of them has teflon in it.

gcarter
03-16-2007, 08:24 AM
Metal to metal threads will never seal. You must use some sort of sealant. Also be aware that some pastes, including teflon impregnated can be dissolved by gasoline. Tape appears to be the best.
Also consider copper tubing. You do need a set of "double seal" dies. Also the copper tubing needs to be anchored very well so it doesn't vibrate at all.

Cuda
03-16-2007, 09:28 AM
I tried the steel line route twice, without being successful. I finally went to a speed shop, and had them make up the fuel line out of stainless flex with aeroquip fittings.

Vegas Classic
03-16-2007, 09:29 AM
So where does one get a USGC approved flexible fuel line?

gcarter
03-16-2007, 09:48 AM
Vegas is a large city...look up an AeroQuip dealer. Look under hoses.

Vegas Classic
03-16-2007, 09:53 AM
Thanks, I appreciate it.

BigGrizzly
03-16-2007, 10:13 AM
The other option, I do have areoquip on mine, However USGC does have approved rubber lines available at west marine.

oldandtired
03-16-2007, 11:06 AM
The USCG approved rubber lines are for fuel delivery and return to the engine. From the fuel pump to the carb is different. Stock is the safe way to go if you are concerned about retaining the USCG blessing. The line from the fuel pump to the carb is supposed to be metal. Obviously there is room in the rules for a reinforced flex line since that is what merc uses on this engine. I would probably just go with the overpriced merc hose to save on the hassle.

Rene

Rootsy
03-16-2007, 11:24 AM
I was always of the assumption that any pressurized fuel line on a boat had to be solid....

i NEVER tape fittings that have a floating nut on a line that is flared... if the fitting is solid with the flare that is a different story... A flared line seals on the mating flare.. taping threads does absolutely NOTHING... Even when using a compression fitting with a ferule.

I know it isn't exactly USCG legal (or so i believe at the moment) but i use a braided line with AN fittings from pump to carb... Since i am using an electric pump mounted to the stringer i can't really use a hard line at the carb...

Barry Eller
03-16-2007, 11:44 AM
I custom bent a SS fuel line from fuel pump to carb. I've never used any sealant on the threads. Always re-tightend several times to make sure no leaks. Never had any problems. The SS fuel line has flared ends with the nuts built on to it.

Vegas Classic
03-16-2007, 12:32 PM
. I would probably just go with the overpriced merc hose to save on the hassle.

I assume that's what I have on there, correct? It appears the line listed on the Merc webiste is the hard line, I don't want to run into issues since I have the Edelbrock Carb and would like to just replace the one I have with the same thing, anybody know if that is available from Merc?

Thanks for all the replys, guys. Personally, I could care less about the USGC blessing, I just don't want my boat to catch on fire.

98shovel
03-16-2007, 12:42 PM
always use tape or sealant on pipe threads any flared fitting 37/an or 45 /jic does not require sealant and will not help. the seal is the flare mating surface
the only time not to use sealant on pipe threads is with a electrical sending unit as the tape will cause the sending unit to mis read because it cannot get good ground with sealant.
most carb fitting are of the straight thread type and require some type of gasket metal /fiber/ plastic or o ring

gcarter
03-16-2007, 12:44 PM
always use tape or sealant on pipe threads any flared fitting 37/an or 45 /jic does not require sealant and will not help. the seal is the flare mating surface
the only time not to use sealant on pipe threads is with a electrical sending unit as the tape will cause the sending unit to mis read because it cannot get good ground with sealant.
most carb fitting are of the straight thread type and require some type of gasket metal /fiber/ plastic or o ring
This is all correct.
I should have said metal PIPE threads will not seal.

oldandtired
03-16-2007, 02:04 PM
[QUOTE= Personally, I could care less about the USGC blessing, I just don't want my boat to catch on fire.[/QUOTE]

Then just go down to a local speed shop and get a braided stainless hose with fittings made up. I made all of my hoses for my steering system out of stainless braid teflon hose (r-14 if I remember correctly). That hose would be compatible with almost any liquid including fuel. I got it at discounthydraulichose.com for a good price. The only hassle with doing that is figuring out which fittings you need at the fuel pump and carb, but I'm sure that the speed shop would have those fittings (Russell or Aeroquip). It may not have a USCG rating, but it would definitely exceed the requirements.

Rene

PS. I just looked up the CFR (CFR 33) for the fuel lines and it says:

Sec. 183.558 Hoses and connections.

(a) Each hose used between the fuel pump and the carburetor must be
``USCG Type A1'' hose.
Type A1 hose can be a rubber hose and appears to be readily available at a typical marine supply. Type A2 is the hose require for the tank and vent system. You could try and take your existing line and have a new hose made with your old end fittings and a new piece of A1 hose. I used to have air conditioning hoses made that way locally.

MOP
03-16-2007, 04:40 PM
There is a Teflon tape made for gasoline, it is usually "Yellow" but I have also found it in white. My local parts house keeps it in stock.

http://209.85.165.104/search?q=cache:ajI83GHQcQoJ:www.cleanfit.com/literature_pdfs/Teflon_Yellow_3-Wrap.pdf+yellow+Teflon+tape&hl=en&gl=us&ct=clnk&cd=4&client=firefox-a

Phil

Vegas Classic
03-16-2007, 04:44 PM
Thanks Rene, I appreciate the help. I think I'm just going to pull the hose and take it to the race shop, they said it should be no problem to set me up with a new one.
:)

Barry Eller
03-16-2007, 07:59 PM
There is a Teflon tape made for gasoline, it is usually "Yellow" but I have also found it in white. My local parts house keeps it in stock.
http://209.85.165.104/search?q=cache:ajI83GHQcQoJ:www.cleanfit.com/literature_pdfs/Teflon_Yellow_3-Wrap.pdf+yellow+Teflon+tape&hl=en&gl=us&ct=clnk&cd=4&client=firefox-a
Phil

Interesting, 3-wrap...How many wraps of Teflon tape is something I've always wondered about when repairing water plumbing. Does 3-wraps apply? Does anyone know?

scott snider
03-17-2007, 11:54 AM
I always make my lines out of stainless and I use liquid Teflon sealant, I don’t care for tape because it’s possible for small peaces to brake off and get into the fuel system. I use it on both pipe threads and use it also on B nuts and compression nuts as lubricant to aid in tightening (helps provide additional torque with out rounding the nuts). Be careful when using Teflon on fittings that are being installed into aluminum. The Teflon is an excellent lubricant and can cause you to over tighten and crack the aluminum.