PDA

View Full Version : Winter Project Time (powder coat ?) Attention Pearson

Bryan Tuvell 33ZX
12-13-2002, 01:27 AM
Now that I have a boat it is time to try to catch up on projects, my Merc Drive Trim bracket is rusting and some paint flacking of the hatch cylinder, I plan to pull them both out and color (red) powder coat them at a local shop.

Question is, what do I ask for? Any specific mixes etc? Should I prep sand or will the just blast it etc. number of coats? I want it to last, not do it every year!
I will visit their shop this week, I would like a bit of knowledge before hand.
Thanks, Bryan

Scott Pearson
12-13-2002, 05:59 AM
Bryan,
The shop will know what to do with it. They usualy sandblast or Glassbead the parts.Then go right to the powdercoating. As far as color...Im sure that if they are a large Powdercoating shop they should have a nice selection of color chips.

As far as the # of coats...I would just let them know the application its going on. They use an electro static gun to spray it on. Its sprayed on dry and they can control the amount of Mil. thickness thats applied. Once it reaches that thickness the rest falls off. It wont hold anymore. Then the temp. gets turned up and the powder turns to a liquid form and flows out.

Powdercoating is durable stuff but most of the time it has a peely look to it. It doesnt flow like paint. Small surfaces you dont see it or even round surfaces. But on large areas you will.

Let us know how you make out.

(NJ)Scott

BillR
12-13-2002, 08:04 AM
Glad your home w/o incident!

When do you want to install the exhaust? I've done 5 installs so far, so lets make it 6. Bet we can have it done (properly) in 1.5 hours. I have to have 12 hours to charge up my impact driver.
Then we can move to the exhaust tips.

I just got 4 new tips fro Stainless Marine for my boat. I may go down to Marina and start work on that Saturday. Haven't decided yet.
After the tips, then some audio electrical work. Gonna make it more of a stealth system and hide distribution blocks, satellite receiver and more.

Maybe the winter will go quicker be working on the boat. eek!

Bryan Tuvell 33ZX
12-14-2002, 04:12 PM
Thanks Scott P.
Bryan

Bill,, see you in an hour at the party! :D
HRPA throw down!

Rootsy
12-14-2002, 09:00 PM
i never realized that large areas would end up with a peely effect, is this a common thing? there is a shop that i use over here that does a fantastic job. they actually have a few contracts as an automotive manufacturer powder coater. I will have to ask them about the peel thing next time i drop something off (for my own piece of mind)... we just had 2 F250 bumpers and some nerf bars done on a resto project we are doing and my first experience with them was a home built boat trailer for the fishing boat... the bumpers literally look like they are painted... not a ripple or a mark and smooth as glass... just kind of interested to hear about the peely effect since i have never witnessed it myself... what am i missing?

Jamie

Scott Pearson
12-15-2002, 07:14 AM
Jamie,
Bumpers are some what contured or rounded. Lots of bends and such. I'm talking a large "Flat" Piece. Like say a car door or something like that.

But then again...I hope someone wouldnt powder coat a car door.

(NJ)Scott