PDA

View Full Version : Spring start up tip!

MOP
03-14-2007, 07:54 PM
We all know or should know most engine bearing wear is at start up! Before you fire off your treasured toy pull the spark plugs they should at the very least be cleaned and gapped but replacement is better. Before reinstalling the plugs spin the engine over with the kill switch pulled until the oil pressure gauge shows pressure, with the spark plugs out there is no compression there fore re leaving the load on the dry bearing surfaces. This is the next best thing to pulling the distributer and using a drill to power up the oil pump.

Phil

Pismo
03-14-2007, 08:17 PM
If you are changing spark plugs anyhow, its a great idea. Even if not, ground the coil wire and spin it over for a few seconds to at least get some oil on the bearings.

glashole
03-14-2007, 08:44 PM
MOST IMPORTANT

don't forget the drain plug :)

Pismo
03-15-2007, 11:15 AM
Ive seen a few boats sink slowly at the ramp, too funny. They back it in to launch, the truck/trailer quickly drives away, then they remember the drain plug. Time for a quick swim.

oldandtired
03-15-2007, 10:31 PM
The best way to start it up in the spring is to use the boat all winter:) That's my plan,

Rene

BigGrizzly
03-16-2007, 11:01 AM
I do it a little different. I pull out the oil pressure sending unit, mine is on top of the block in the stern, and pressure feed it from there. I made a tube out of 3 inch PVC about 2 feet long, fill it with clean oil stand the tube up an put air to it. Caution don't blow it dry and don't use more than 80 to 100 psi and do it slowly. This works much like the pre-luber sold by various companies at $300->$400. Darn this thing cost me $12 including fittings. I originally designed for mu race bike for engine swaps at the track and engine built early in the season and not used. Best part is people have no idea what it is and can be topic for conversation. On the Criterion it also lubs the blower.