PDA

View Full Version : Not getting water

Yellowdonzi67
03-11-2007, 11:51 PM
I have a '67 16 foot classic with a 302 ford and volvo outdrive.

I don't think my water system is pulling any water in. Here's what i think happened.

Last year I ran aground trying to get back into the ramp and (unknowingly) chewed up my impeller. I took it out one more time (and ran it in the driveway) with no problems before i replaced the impeller as a measure of maintenance.

After that, I believe that my impeller stopped pulling water in. We were getting almost no steam and no water out of the exhaust with engine temps up around 185-190 (we did not want to take it any higher and risk overheating the engine). Since we felt we weren't getting water and winter was coming we wanted to make sure if we couldn't get antifreeze into the system, that we at least burnt as much water out of there as possible, I have no pulled the pump out again to check the impeller (I think i'm going to this week) but I wanted to get some others opinions around here.

Could my issues just be related to an improperly installed impeller, a broken water pump, or a broken thermostat? Or is there anything else i should consider?

Also, the water pump was rebuilt last year.

MOP
03-12-2007, 06:42 AM
Take the cover off the pump make sure all the impeller vanes are flipped in the right direction, one may have gotten flipped when you put it together. It is also possible to flip blades if the engine has dieseled backwards.

Phil

BUIZILLA
03-12-2007, 07:39 AM
previous impeller pieces in oil cooler or thermo housing...

don't ask how I know this...:bonk:

Sweet little 16
03-12-2007, 08:50 AM
things to look for in ford volvo combo

where does the water come from on a volvo it is gravity feed from either the drive leg or a seperate water pickup on the transom or in the hull
make sure that is not obstructed

second make sure the impellor has a tight fit usually they come with a paper gasket other wise it just spins the water and doesn't force it thru the system

a 302 would probably have a crossover system and pieces from the old impellor might block passages usually in the crossover tubes going to the risers a 67 would probably not have an oil cooler but the pieces would still work their way downstream

pull the plugs out of the risers and block might be loaded with sand or muk

hope that helps

LKSD
03-12-2007, 09:38 AM
Check for a bad seal, hose or cracked water hose intake assembly part on the intermediate fork of the drive.. :) Jamie / Lakeside

mrfixxall
03-12-2007, 10:01 AM
All of the above,,,,check your intake hose from the drive to the transm housing...the hose may be weak and may be sucking shut,a garden hose will force the water through,,,try filling up a big garbage can with water and leave tha garden hose runnung in the garbage can..pull off the water output hose from the impeller pump and start the engine and see if its sucking the water up from the garbage can with water in it...if not then that should pin point your problem...( BTW put the garbege can under the drive first or it will be hard to move around)....

Yellowdonzi67
03-13-2007, 10:13 PM
Today I forced some water through the system, after removing the old impeller. Somehow the one I put in at the end of last year got a little chewed up....probably from sediments still in the system. Anyways, I put in a backup impeller and removed the hose from the transom and ran a garden hose straight through it. I got steam out of the exhaust and felt the air sucking through the hose when I removed the garden hose. :)

I do believe this issue has been resolved, however I'm going to put it all together this week and inspect the system for small leaks that could be reducing pressure, and check all the places you guys have suggested just as a maintenance measure. Thanks guys!