PDA

View Full Version : Exhaust Manifold for Bowtie Vortec Head

Traveler
03-11-2007, 03:30 PM
Does anyone know if there is a set of exhaust manifolds that will fit a Chevy small block equipped with Bowtie Vortec or Fast Burn heads? The heads have raised, D-shaped exhaust ports.
Thanks

BigGrizzly
03-11-2007, 06:34 PM
CMI. But call Stainless Marine too, they are usually on top of thingsw

mrfixxall
03-12-2007, 10:14 AM
Does anyone know if there is a set of exhaust manifolds that will fit a Chevy small block equipped with Bowtie Vortec or Fast Burn heads? The heads have raised, D-shaped exhaust ports.
Thanks

I dont think those heads would be good for marine use unless you plan on wingin the motor past 6000 rpm to get the power you need or if you plan on running a 434cid or bigger small block..i think their are a better cylinder head out their for your application....just my openion...

BigGrizzly
03-12-2007, 04:51 PM
There are several 383 on the board with Vortex heads and I know one runs real strong. I think it will work fine.

Greg
03-12-2007, 05:37 PM
I purchased Nate's (Jamesbon) old 388. It has alum. fastburn vortecs and stainless marine exhaust. I think he machined the manifolds himself. I'm sure he will chime in here once he fixes his transom. (sorry to hear about that buddy)

BUIZILLA
03-12-2007, 06:10 PM
one thing to remember with the fast burn heads is they DO NOT like a lot of timing... you will make peak power at about 30* no more than 32* total timing with 93 octane, most of the big players with them in our applications run 89 octane and 28*-29* total timing..

Traveler
03-12-2007, 06:26 PM
Today I called Stainless. They don't have a manifold specific to this application, I'd have to machine it. If that's the case I'll machine my stock manifolds and make due with them for now until I can buy a set of headers. Also, my electroncs box, fuel pressure regulator, throttle linkagge and oxygen sensor are all mounted to my stock manifolds so a manifold change involves a lot of reconfiguring.

My heads are the Bowtie Vortecs. I only mentioned the Fast Burns because I believe they have the same exhaust ports and may have opened up the possibilities.

Right now the motor is an 8.5:1 350 running about 5 psi of boost. I really deferred the head selection to my engine shop. He's in the "cast iron" camp and my blower manifold is a Vortec. When you put those two requirments together the list of alternatives gets real short. Next year a stroker kit is planned.

With my stock setup I never run more than 30 degrees total advance. My fuel injection computer's a DFI Gen VII but with no knock sensor so I keep the timing conservative.

Anyway, thanks for the replies. The input's appreciated.

mrfixxall
03-13-2007, 12:34 AM
I dont think those heads would be good for marine use unless you plan on wingin the motor past 6000 rpm to get the power you need or if you plan on running a 434cid or bigger small block..i think their are a better cylinder head out their for your application....just my openion...

Sorry guys i thought he ment the new LS7 sbc head.....

Try stelling.....