PDA

View Full Version : battery?

Zinger
03-10-2007, 07:18 AM
Hello , I have a 22C are most people running dual or single battery in their boats.

zimm17
03-10-2007, 07:33 AM
I'd say duals. I have a selector switch on mine that does 1/2/both/off. I also bought a battery isolator that was about $100. The alternator wire goes to the isolator, then the isolator has a wire for each battery. That way it automatically keeps both batteries charged but isolated from each other. Now I can listen to the radio on one battery and still have a reserve battery for starting.

Pismo
03-10-2007, 12:56 PM
One big (grp 27 or 29) deep cycle battery. I too can listen to the radio all day and still have reserve to start with. I have never even come close to running it down. No switch, no isolators, no extra parts, no extra heavy battery, simplicity is golden.

zimm17
03-10-2007, 01:11 PM
What if you forget and leave the battery on for too long? The second battery is a nice backup.

hardcrab
03-10-2007, 01:15 PM
if you DO use a battery switch, spend the extra few $ for one that has an alternater field disconnect feature. This allows you to use the switch with the engine running.

yeller
03-10-2007, 09:34 PM
My boat came with duals. It's nice to have, but I think I have to side with Pismo on this one. 18yrs with my 1st boat (single battery) and I never once ran it down.

ChromeGorilla
03-10-2007, 09:58 PM
Single battery.

Barry Eller
03-11-2007, 06:25 AM
I only have one battery, but I do have a battery switch. I usually put my battery charger on low charge the night before I plan on going out. This insures the battery is fully charged. I don't play my radio that much, I can't hear it over the 502...when I'm beached, I like listening to nature...the sound of meat on a Weber grill... cold adult beverages being popped open...good conversion with friends...and sometimes the sounds of my 12 string Yamaha...

Usually someone will have their stereo playing loud enough for everyone on the bay to hear anyway!!!

A good set of jumper cables under the bow somewhere....:yes:

peregrine
03-11-2007, 08:12 AM
One big (grp 27 or 29) deep cycle battery. I too can listen to the radio all day and still have reserve to start with. I have never even come close to running it down. No switch, no isolators, no extra parts, no extra heavy battery, simplicity is golden.

Hey Pismo, is GRP the brand name or size? If not the name, what brand do you have? Just gaining knowledge here, thanks. How are those Optimum yellow top marine's?

realbold
03-11-2007, 08:29 AM
group # = size, I run 2 24's. They're about 11" long...27's are couple inches longer.

Cuda
03-11-2007, 08:31 AM
Ours has a single, with this nifty cover that is a pita to take off whenever you want to hook something to it. It has no switch either. I wouldn't mind having an on/off switch, but I prefer to let sleeping dogs lie.

BigGrizzly
03-11-2007, 08:34 AM
I have a single. If yuour worried carry one of the jump stater packs then you can use it home too!

LKSD
03-11-2007, 10:39 AM
All of my boats had twin batteries & a switch except the 18'c (that one had 1 battery & 1 switch).. I like knowing I have a back up.. Especially if you lounge a lot. :) Jamie / Lakeside

Greg
03-11-2007, 10:52 AM
I've always just had one battery. Last year I went with duals and I really do like the security of having two. I run the left battery on the even days of the month and the right on the odd days. That way it keeps both of them charged and used evenly. Just my .02.

Pismo
03-11-2007, 12:17 PM
What if you forget and leave the battery on for too long? The second battery is a nice backup.

I dont follow, my battery is "on" all the time. Unless there is an electrical draw somewhere, it will just sit, charged.

Cuda
03-11-2007, 03:05 PM
I dont follow, my battery is "on" all the time. Unless there is an electrical draw somewhere, it will just sit, charged.
Mine's the same way, it must no have a draw, because it's been well over a year, and no dead battery.

Sofa King
03-11-2007, 03:48 PM
You can never have enuff battery power. Mines has 2 1000 amp hr and a guest 20 amp charger.

gold-n-rod
03-11-2007, 04:16 PM
My 16 came from the factory with 2 batts and a switch. Seems like overkill for how I use the boat. How much does a battery weigh.... 50 pounds? I could use that extra weight off the stern of my boat.

Since they can't be removed without the manifolds coming off, I think I'll replace one with an expensive gel battery and leave the other one out when I install the GLM's this spring.

PS: If you were going to eliminate one batt, which would you **** can, port or starboard? I'm guessing starboard, since that's the side I set my fat ass on.

Your thoughts?

Pismo
03-11-2007, 04:43 PM
I agree batteries are the greatest and having two is great if you have lots of electronic stuff on your boat but I have nothing but a radio which draws very little. In a cruiser with a fridge, gps, lcd tvs, and etc. then two batts is indispensible. 1 to start 2 to play. A grp 29 deep cycle holds a lot of juice and still weighs far lesss than 2 regular grp 24s.

CHACHI
03-12-2007, 06:27 AM
I have one battery in the 22. Mounted starboard side with a cut off switch from the factory. My minx also has one battery mounted under the bench seat, no cut off switch. Both batteries are connected to a Battery Tender when not in use. Neither boat has a radio so there is no extra draw and I have never run out of juice. The 22 does list to starboard when parked though.

Ken

Barry Eller
03-12-2007, 09:33 AM
A boat that is kept in a dry storage facility is required to have a battery OFF/ON switch. This is to keep accidental electrial shorts that could cause fires. This happend to a Marina here in Gulf Breeze several years ago. Lots of melted fiberglass.

RedDog
03-12-2007, 09:56 AM
I installed a second battery and switch. I also installed a second auto-only bilge pump connected to the second battery prior to leaving her in the water overnight for the first time.

Carl C
03-12-2007, 11:04 AM
Duals in my 22C. As mentioned I don't have to worry about playing the stereo too long. It's also good peace of mind when on the Great Lakes. BTW, both batteries charge even with the switch set to only one but I still switch it back and forth to cycle both bats.:)

WifeHatesMyDonzi
03-15-2007, 03:44 PM
Mine has a single battery with a switch. I have had problems since day one with never having enough battery power to start, run and play with the 454 mag all day. Tried new batteries, etc.. for years. Last year I bought an Optima gel battery and never had one second of trouble all year. We will see what this year brings.

hardcrab
03-16-2007, 02:59 PM
Your wife AND your dog ??
Dude, you sound like a country western song .......... :wink:

DonziJon
03-16-2007, 06:46 PM
Anybody have TWO batterys in their truck???? Just wondering. :confused: John

zimm17
03-16-2007, 08:21 PM
Anybody have TWO batterys in their truck???? Just wondering. :confused: John

Yeah, I think every ford diesel has dual batteries. No switch for it though. In fact dual alternators is an option.

When you have one of those days when the engine won't start, it sure is nice to have two batteries. Maybe we should correlate how old our boats are compared to how many batteries you think you need.... new boat and EFI, 1 batt should be good. Old boat and a carb, two is nice.

penbroke
03-16-2007, 09:31 PM
The SeaRay has 3 batteries. 2-115 AH group 27 in one bank and 1-550 MCA for starting the engine in the other. I can (and have) sit at anchor for 2 days and nights with the fridge what all running 24/7. After that it's time to move on...

The Donzi has a single starting battery (with switch :wink: )and I carry a marine jumper pack as a backup. I can be a 4 hour round trip car ride from home in 30 minutes in the Donzi.

I have started cold V4 outboards with a rope on several occasions. Not a lot of fun. You can not start a V8 sterndrive with a rope. Batteries are well worth their weight.

Frank

need for speed
03-16-2007, 09:42 PM
One in my 22 and 2 in my truck... wish my 22 had 2 but lazy so I just replace it every year or so and keep it charged up.. Batteries don’t last down here anyways.. Some of my clients with larger boat have me replace them ever year good or bad.. Cheep insurance.:wink:

DonziJon
03-17-2007, 11:00 AM
The SeaRay has 3 batteries. 2-115 AH group 27 in one bank and 1-550 MCA for starting the engine in the other. I can (and have) sit at anchor for 2 days and nights with the fridge what all running 24/7. After that it's time to move on...
The Donzi has a single starting battery (with switch :wink: )and I carry a marine jumper pack as a backup. I can be a 4 hour round trip car ride from home in 30 minutes in the Donzi.
I have started cold V4 outboards with a rope on several occasions. Not a lot of fun. You can not start a V8 sterndrive with a rope. Batteries are well worth their weight.
Frank

I'm All For having two batterys in a cruising boat. I had cruising boats (Sail) for 25 years and all had two batterys. When you've got serious systems (refrig, Loran/GPS, lights, running lights, electric head, etc) to support, especially with sail where you don't run the engine all day... it's essential.

Proper maintenance of the battery/s AND keepig the connections CLEAN are the best prevention for a bad day. A set of jumper cables on board is a nice safety net if you only have one battery.

Small general avaition airplanes have ONE battery, and it's not all that big ...to keep weight down. If the engine doesn't catch pretty quick, the battery goes flat in a hurry. Then again, if it doesn't start pretty quick, you may not want to go flying anyhow. John