PDA

View Full Version : One step forward, two steps back...

Jamesbon
03-09-2007, 06:06 PM
The good news is, I just picked up the "steering wheel/hub extension" from the machinist. Saved $350.00 over buying the Latham helm extension. Also had a trim bezel for the Char Lynn helm "fabbed" up and picked her up as well. (see pics)

The bad news... after spending 2 hours measuring the tailpipes, exhaust manifolds and transom distance to the risers, I cut one 5 inch hole through the transom about 2.25" lower than I needed. WTF!! You'd think I was smoking some sticky southern California Chronic at the time. Wish I was....just have to chalk that one up to my own stupidity. (don't even smoke weed.....anymore..) I inked a "cross hair" at the lowest point of the tail pipe, then blissfully drilled a GAPING 5" hole through my almost virgin transom. As I was slipping the tail pipe through, I realized what a stupid F'ing idiot I was. The only way to fix is fill her in, gel the area and re-drill. That took allot of wind out of my sails. Once I mustered up enough courage to drill the port side hole, I broke out the ol'DeWalt and punched another hole. Thank god, that one was on the money.

I'm ready to just buy a freaking 22C and not worry about getting this thing done fast with as little free time as I have.... (just venting fellas..it's been a hard couple days between this thing and having a deal snaked from me at work today...)

Cuda
03-09-2007, 06:39 PM
You can't quit now, just think of how much beer you would owe Poodle.

Just keep on keeping on. I was not a happy camper myself today with the 22.

sweet 16 1966
03-09-2007, 07:03 PM
Cuda, sorry to hear your are having trouble with the 22. Jamesbon, I have same issue- wanting to ride this summer but may not be in current project boat. Yea, work will take the wind out of your sail especially when under attack.
BTW- lil wesleys white wall cleaner will put the white back on the steering wheel.

Jamesbon
03-09-2007, 07:41 PM
Thanks guys, I'm actually cracking a smile now...

...enough beer to start considering a keg!

BigGrizzly
03-09-2007, 07:43 PM
Nate yuour not the first to drill the wrong exhaust hole.
I am so paranoid That I took my boat all the way to custom Marine th have them made to fit my existing cut outs. Rus you can come over and I;ll take you for a ride.

BUIZILLA
03-09-2007, 08:27 PM
don't feel bad, I just pumped about 16k into my Cary this past month (so far, and we're not done :boggled: ), and today as I was getting it ready for it's maiden resto voyage tomorrow, I switched the stb. battery switch on late today, and the engine cranks all by itself, without pushing the fuc***g start button, oh joy.... the meatheads that installed my new $3K windlass apparently moved some wires around... why is the front bilge pump now wired to the new bilge blowers??... oh yeah, and ALL of the dash gauges, gauge lights, and new stern light don't work now either, they DID work before... in fact everything but the fuel gauge all worked well, before the friendly repair shop calamity... not to also mention the powdercoating company had to spray my new $2500 custom aluminum dive platform 4 times before the color came out right, and they still charged me $410 more than quoted for that luxury... I never knew there were 3,152 shades of white... 214 trips to Simmons Surplus later, I got the CORRECT length platform hardware, all 7 pieces of it.... I had to remove the entire 10'x7' cockpit floor to replace a $35 fuel sender (think about this, it took 5 of my guys at $89 hour and a forklift to get it out, then in again at $89 hour per man, $1350 shop labor lost, all for a $35 part, and the new sender isn't calibrated correctly, it's one of those universal POS, yeah one of those..) China hardware on my new 15k Putnam hitch, with furnished bolts smaller than the truck frame holes :bonk: or the new full boat cover for $1800that the idiot forgot to make the bow hole for the windlass/anchor mast... or the snazzy powdercoated to color match seat supports, that the seat bases won't fit on now, because of the 4 coats of paint, that *I* now have to strip, so I can sit down and look at gauges that now don't work...

you'll know where i'll be tomorrow, and Sunday, and....

oh, and my 2007 Harley Street Glide with 334 miles that I took to the dealer last Saturday for a customer pay $204 Stage 1 update computer flash, and now doesn't run right at all, in fact it almost melted the engine, and Harley MOCO now wants to charge me another $1000 to make it run right, for their computer flash screwup....

and then there's the ultimately stupid black kid that walked in front of me, stopped, and tried to stop/hijack/carjack me in traffic last week, and proceeded to intentionally walk into my passenger door/mirror with his body weight, 200# kid against a 7000# truck at 35 mph, you can guess who lost that one...

and how was your week??

sweet 16 1966
03-09-2007, 08:41 PM
Buizilla, I like the way you deligate the work out anyway. I am not good with that. I would be more worried about the shop guys than the hi-jacker.
Steer right.

Big Grizz, I need a ride! Will try to come see you soon- ride or not! This weekend is already shot but soon! Let me know if you need a hand with anything.

Tony
03-09-2007, 08:56 PM
Nate, I give you a ton of credit for fessing up to your fock-up!

I'll bet that for every one of the admitted screw-ups related on this board there are probably at least twenty others that we are too embarassed to admit to.

Keep your chin up and good luck with the rest of your project...

:beer:

ChromeGorilla
03-09-2007, 09:16 PM
and then there's the ultimately stupid black kid that walked in front of me, stopped, and tried to stop/hijack/carjack me in traffic last week, and proceeded to intentionally walk into my passenger door/mirror with his body weight, 200# kid against a 7000# truck at 35 mph, you can guess who lost that one...
and how was your week??
"You don't tug on Supermans cape, you don't piss into the wind, you dont pull the mask off the old lone ranger.... and you don't mess around with JIM!"

Cuda
03-10-2007, 12:03 AM
Jim, did you sell your V Rod already?

BUIZILLA
03-10-2007, 06:10 AM
Cuda..... I traded it for the Street Glide... two up on a fat tire Vrod is a wierd handling bike, almost dangerous... momma thinks my Night Train is wimpy.... she LIKES the Street Glide... we put several thousand miles together on a previous Road King, so she feels MUCH more secure with this new SG.

sorry for the thread redirect Nate..

ChromeGorilla
03-10-2007, 07:24 AM
Street Glide.... or as MP put it... "The Geezer Cruiser".....:wink:

DonCig
03-10-2007, 07:34 AM
don't feel bad, I just pumped about 16k into my Cary this past month (so far, and we're not done :boggled: ), and today as I was getting it ready for it's maiden resto voyage tomorrow, I switched the stb. battery switch on late today, and the engine cranks all by itself, without pushing the fuc***g start button, oh joy.... the meatheads that installed my new $3K windlass apparently moved some wires around... why is the front bilge pump now wired to the new bilge blowers??... oh yeah, and ALL of the dash gauges, gauge lights, and new stern light don't work now either, they DID work before... in fact everything but the fuel gauge all worked well, before the friendly repair shop calamity... not to also mention the powdercoating company had to spray my new $2500 custom aluminum dive platform 4 times before the color came out right, and they still charged me $410 more than quoted for that luxury... I never knew there were 3,152 shades of white... 214 trips to Simmons Surplus later, I got the CORRECT length platform hardware, all 7 pieces of it.... I had to remove the entire 10'x7' cockpit floor to replace a $35 fuel sender (think about this, it took 5 of my guys at $89 hour and a forklift to get it out, then in again at $89 hour per man, $1350 shop labor lost, all for a $35 part, and the new sender isn't calibrated correctly, it's one of those universal POS, yeah one of those..) China hardware on my new 15k Putnam hitch, with furnished bolts smaller than the truck frame holes :bonk: or the new full boat cover for $1800that the idiot forgot to make the bow hole for the windlass/anchor mast... or the snazzy powdercoated to color match seat supports, that the seat bases won't fit on now, because of the 4 coats of paint, that *I* now have to strip, so I can sit down and look at gauges that now don't work...
you'll know where i'll be tomorrow, and Sunday, and....
oh, and my 2007 Harley Street Glide with 334 miles that I took to the dealer last Saturday for a customer pay $204 Stage 1 update computer flash, and now doesn't run right at all, in fact it almost melted the engine, and Harley MOCO now wants to charge me another $1000 to make it run right, for their computer flash screwup....
and how was your week??
Jim, thank you!
Your thread helped put my week into perspectve!

Don

Cuda
03-10-2007, 09:54 AM
Street Glide.... or as MP put it... "The Geezer Cruiser".....:wink:
The Ultra Glide is known as a Geezer Glide.

A Honda Gold Wing is known as a Couch Rocket. :)

florida gator
03-11-2007, 07:33 AM
No matter how bad I think my week ever goes, I can always rely on looking here for a pick me up.:wink:

I won't waste my key strokes on my little problems!!

Hope everyone has a better week now that we have longer days.:cool:

gcarter
03-11-2007, 08:53 AM
I guess this is why I always end up doing everything myself.:yes:
Otherwise, they'll see ya coming!!! And you know deep down you can do it better than they can........

BigGrizzly
03-11-2007, 09:17 AM
I do most of my stuff because I have more time then money. Also If I do it I can complain and it mechanic can't charge me for the grief. The only complaint I get is the wife saying "stop talking to your self".

BUIZILLA
03-11-2007, 06:12 PM
welp, I spent all day yesterday, and today, on it..... have you ever lifted 2 complete inboard motor boxes out of a boat by yourself... while on a trailer.... that'll give ya a clue how pissed off I am... there wasn't one vane left on the port sea water pump, it was ALL in the cooler inlet... now esplain to me how a boat can come from Naples to Marathon to Miami, and then run around here for a day, go to a repair shop in perfect running order, and all the vanes are now missing... did I mention this is the engine with the new mystery *start all by itself* malady... oh, and the port throttle cable is snapped at the throttle box, wonder how that happend...... all the cuttings/shavings from the new mid ship popup cleats ended up in the new middle bilge pump .. the new 4-0 ground wire for the windlass was laying on the stb crank pulley... i'm too embarassed to post the pic's I took..

I rebuilt both sea water pumps today, and installed two new alternators... went to check the timiing, and it ate my timing light... not my weekend..

:bonk:

BigGrizzly
03-11-2007, 06:28 PM
Compared to everyone else I had a perfect week. In reality it did go pretty well, I only mad some minor failures.

Cuda
03-11-2007, 06:36 PM
Here's the worse thing for me this weekend. I changed the brake pads on the back of Deb's Sport Trac. It took me probably an hour to do the first side, once I figured out the pads were side specific, it took ten or fifteen minutes to do the second side. Do you think they needed changed? I know I should have turned the rotor or repaced it on the one side, but it will stop just as well, if not better. It will just wear out the pads faster.

I had the truck in park, figuring it would hold it in place while I jacked up one wheel at a time. When I jacked up the first side, the truck started rolling down the driveway on the floorjack. As many damn wheel chocks as I have around here for the boats, I couldn't find one!:mad: I had to make do with a piece of firewood. :)

Jamesbon
03-12-2007, 09:08 PM
Whew! With all that said, guess I'll count my blessings ;)

Buizilla,
Think I saw your old Scarab this weekend...she was looking fantastic. The new owners are some of the best people I know!

FWIW,
Just got quoted $400 to fill my 5 inch F-up. Oh well, what can you do?! Guess the best thing that will come out of it is I gotta get her outta the shop into the daylight for some new pictures... I'm concerned about insurance and hauling her up and down the road. Who insures an old Donzi with BBC power?

WA-LO
03-13-2007, 09:08 AM
Good to see you this weekend Nate and Jessica, Nate just put some 8" exhaust on the GT and dont sweat the small stuff! You will be seeing us
on the water alot more.

Jim thanks for a awsome boat my wife would castrate me if I even put the
wrong 2 stroke oil in it!!! Put 2 20lb grouper in the well on saturday so
it is earning its keep!!!

Jamesbon
03-13-2007, 07:26 PM
WA-LO,
I still remember picking your SHINY Corsican up at Jeff @ Intrepid's shop..... I'm sold on that guy, he's patching up my 5" hole.... (no pun... :) )