PDA

View Full Version : Water in Fuel Tank

Barry Eller
03-08-2007, 07:40 PM
I ran my boat last Friday and the engine developed a skip at 4000 RPM's and wouldn't turn much more. I removed the fuel/water separator filter and poured it into a bowl...it had a good amount of water in it.
I have been using StarTron Enzyme Fuel Treatment, but with the new gasoline blends (E-10) water is still going to be a problem for us boaters.
My next step before installing a new water/separator filter is to siphon the bottom of my fuel tank with a gasoline approved hose and pump.
My plan is to remove the access plate at the fuel shut off valve in the floor locker. That should be simple enough. But before I remove the ring assembly, is there a gasket or is a fuel proof sealant available to reseal the assembly upon reinstall?
If I need a new gasket or seal, where can I buy one.

Is there a large enough opening in this area too do this or should I go into the tank with my hose somewhere else?

Any other ideas and suggestions are appreciated.
Thanks
Barry

DON N.
03-08-2007, 11:58 PM
I Had Water In My Gas A Couple Years Ago And The Rubber "0" Ring
On The Screw In Gas Cap Was Missing .

Barry Eller
03-09-2007, 06:45 AM
You can pull the filler hose off and access it there..
Was the water yellow looking??
Fuel is going to be a bear from now on IMO.. I add stabil to every tank, and run nothing but Racor elements in my boats.. Be glad we do not have fiberglass tanks...

I didn't pay attention to the water color...what would yellow water indicate?

I'm using the StarTron with each fuel fill up...but I haven't let the fuel get below 1/2 tank in a long time. There has to be a lot of sediment in the bottom that needs to be pumped out. I'll go through the filler hose port as you suggested... If I can get my fat ass up to it!! I've been a pig this winter and have lost my figure!

Thanks for the information on the Turbo Props...

DonziDave
03-09-2007, 08:15 PM
I pump my tank dry at the end of each season. I tilt the bow up so the fuel is at the rear of the tank where the fuel pick-up tube is located. After I remove the pick-up, I insert a small hose that is rigged to an impeller type pump