PDA

View Full Version : 4 BBL Conversion Carb Issue

The Hedgehog
03-08-2007, 10:15 AM
Having some clearance issues trying to put a holley 4bbl on an Edelbrock Manifold. The OMC thermostat housing is causing clearance issues. Looked at putting a merc housing on and that looked worse. A spacer cuts it close put looks like there will not be enough room for the fuel line input.

Anyone got any ideas. Something aftermarket?

The Hedgehog
03-08-2007, 10:25 AM
I guess that I could always fork out for a 600CFM Edelbrock marine carb?

BUIZILLA
03-08-2007, 11:02 AM
the correct 4160 series carb for the housing situation was an OMC specific side bowl inlet, left side transfer tube setup Holley carb...

The Hedgehog
03-08-2007, 11:16 AM
I don't have one of those and am trying to make what I do have work.

I guess that I could always punt the water pump, put on a cross-over and then smaller t-stat housing.

mrfixxall
03-08-2007, 11:16 AM
go with the edlbroch carb and save a headache!

BUIZILLA
03-08-2007, 11:38 AM
or turn the carb around and mount the throttle linkage on the other side...:)

The Hedgehog
03-08-2007, 11:59 AM
or turn the carb around and mount the throttle linkage on the other side...:)

Actually, I considered that. Is there anything seriously wrong with that?

MOP
03-08-2007, 12:14 PM
Ditto! You even see them side ways on dual carb setups.

The Hedgehog
03-08-2007, 12:36 PM
Going for the turn around. Will let you know how it works out.

BUIZILLA
03-08-2007, 02:57 PM
:cool!: the carb doesn't know which way the boat is facing...

and the boat doesn't know which way the carb is facing...

in other words, there is no bow and stern to a carb..

The Hedgehog
03-08-2007, 04:41 PM
:bonk: I think that I have that problem as well sometimes!

We should be able to do a test drive in the am!

smokediver
03-09-2007, 08:12 AM
i read an article on the comp cams website about sa 4.3 build they did . they were able to get 308 horsepower out of it . 289 with the edelbrock carb . kinda good reading . i will find it and post the link for you . the 500 cfm carb from edelbrock they were using didn't do as well as the 600 holley . they had to use a spacer to connect the fuel line and also it gave them the additional ponies . I am running an edelbrock 600 on my 383 and it seems to like it just fine . the edelbrock performer marine carb has a rod and jet conversion for the 4.3 but you probably won't need it with the head work you are doing . just in case you do switch ....

Sam
03-09-2007, 08:32 AM
I've run the 600CFM Edelbrock marine carb on my 16 for the past five years and it's never skipped a beat.

BUIZILLA
03-09-2007, 08:44 AM
The Edelbrock carbs have proven to be pretty reliable, HOWEVER max HP is NOT their best virtue, they always tend to lag about 5-8% less HP than a reasonably well tuned Holley or BG would develop. Nature of the beast...

The Hedgehog
03-09-2007, 09:02 AM
That is all good to know. The turning around and running it backwards seems to work well so far. Got plenty of room for linkage. I will post the update hopefully in the next few hours.

That is good stuff to know about the Edelbrock carbs. If this does not work out I may jump on that. So far I am thinking that this will work out fine. More carb detail will come into play next winter when we step it up a notch. Blower + carb box + close clearance on distributer etc = lots of things to relocate, fabricate etc. Hmmm.

Just kind of having some fun with it now. Learning lots while doing it in stages! I appreciate all the help.

realbold
03-09-2007, 09:24 AM
The Edelbrock carbs have proven to be pretty reliable, HOWEVER max HP is NOT their best virtue, they always tend to lag about 5-8% less HP than a reasonably well tuned Holley or BG would develop. Nature of the beast...
I never heard that about the HP loss, 5-8% is quite a bit. Was thinking about switchin my QJunk for an Edelbrock, now have to rethink this.:confused:

BUIZILLA
03-09-2007, 09:45 AM
I did exhaustive dyno tests on one of my Buick engines to prove it... it (850 Edelbrock Qjet) was right about 6% against my best BG 850 and 5% against a list # 4781 Holley, against a 1000 Thermoquad it was 8%, The Edel runs pretty good all around though, just don't expect max HP with it....

The Hedgehog
03-10-2007, 07:48 AM
Ok, so more linkage problems. Backwards won't work either. Neither will sideways. Oh well. I wish I had the patience of Tex, I am sure that over time I could figure something out. In the mean time, I was able to secure a 600 cfm Edelbrock marine carb (yes marine) through advanced auto parts in a number of hours. On it goes. Will probably had to wait until I get back from vacation to try this all out:bonk: Oh well. Should be just fine.

LKSD
03-11-2007, 10:49 AM
How about a carb spacer, or milling one down. Also how about making a custom fuel feed line? or making a flexible one.. Just a thought.. :) Jamie