PDA

View Full Version : 1970 Sea Ray Pachanga...now with 327 V-8 power!

Holman-Moody
03-06-2007, 08:16 AM
Hello:

Some of you may remember a blue 1970 Sea Ray Pachanga posted for sale on this site back in 2005. I purchased the boat and have just completed a re-power, replacing the six with a 327 V-8 and thru-hull exhaust. If interested, you can see the pics here:

http://members.aol.com/certforms

Regards, Jack

Boatclinic
03-20-2007, 09:46 PM
Nice Job, My heart always had a special feel for the pachanga style. Love to see it in person, Keep up the great work
Don

Cuda
03-20-2007, 10:22 PM
Great looking boat. :cool:

I didn't know they made Pachanga's back then. There's an old man who's always at the convenience store by my house that asks me if I've found him a Pachanga yet.

gold-n-rod
03-21-2007, 05:39 AM
Nice job saving her, Jack. I remember when she was for sale. Mr. Pries would be very proud of you.

Enjoy and thanks for sharing.

Holman-Moody
03-21-2007, 12:37 PM
Hello:

First, thank you all very much for the kind words!

The classic lines, deep V hull and retro blue gelcoat of this Pachanga appealed to me immediately and I was hooked (and filleted). Would anyone in their right mind hop in their truck and head to Michigan from Florida just to buy a small 30 year old boat and then turn around and tow it back???

Mad: It was either the car show (in Vero Beach) or the boat show (Mount Dora) this weekend and I've opted to bring my just purchased mint 87' Porsche 928 to the car show. Only wish I could have gone to both! I was lucky enough to get up to Mount Dora in 2005 to see all the fabulous Cobras, Garwoods and other woodies, though.

Cuda: Would the "old man" be interested in a project boat? There is a yellow Pachanga needing a new/rebuilt engine (Olds 455) and interior. Berkely drive said to be in good shape.

Jack

Sam
03-30-2007, 12:37 PM
LOVE the color................very retro :wink: .

Craig S
03-30-2007, 01:39 PM
Beautiful Boat!!!

Thanks for sharing.
Craig

scott8370
04-01-2007, 08:47 PM
Jack, Love the boat. I also like that color. Did you do the work yourself? Good job! Scott

LKSD
04-02-2007, 08:24 AM
Nice job.. :) Jamie

Holman-Moody
04-02-2007, 12:59 PM
Correct!
I purchased the rebuilt short block and then built, installed and rigged the engine myself. Also, I mixed and sprayed the gel for the transom as well.
When the boat was new I believe the gel color was a deeper blue. It has aged and taken on this cool blue-green (turquoise?) retro color, even after aggressive buffing.
I matched this color for the transom and it came out great. Once you get the hang of, spraying and matching gelcoat, you can make repairs that are pretty much undetectable. I use the MEK peroxide (accelerator), work fast and I'm ready to sand and buff in a couple of hours. I like that...buiild as thick a coating as you want and no waiting for solvents to flash off like paint!
Be forewarned though...you've got probably 10-12 minutes to empty the gun before the gel starts to set up. I usually use a stop watch just to make sure!
Jack

vrod02
04-02-2007, 06:29 PM
Awesome job. Never messed with jell coat. By my sig I have a vrod. Do you have a holman moody rig? Just askin I'm kinda into the vintage ford marine stuff.

Holman-Moody
04-03-2007, 01:11 PM
I was actively looking for a Donzi back when I signed up on this site about 5 years ago. I found one (sweet 16) in Cocoa Beach, FL but the marina wanted $3000 (too much for it I thought so, anyway) and it was in need of a total restoration. They had it outside exposed to the elements...all interior gone, hatch missing and carb off the engine...need I say more? It was blue gelcoat too w. H-M 302 and Volvo 280. Owners wouldn't budge on price so that was that!

I'm waiting for a new 25P prop to arrive for the Pachanga. Gear set from the I-6 upper has got revs too high w. a 23P.

Holman-Moody
04-06-2007, 07:07 AM
From the factory brochure...specifications and photo of a 1971 Pachanga on the water!

members.aol.com/certforms/1971pachanga.htm