PDA

View Full Version : Some added BLING....

ATLDONZI
03-04-2007, 06:01 PM
well it was too cold to go boating out and i saw a post were someone did this to there boat and I loved the look... So with a sunday and no boating weatnher i took a trip to home depot and bought some supplies and this was the result today... i still have a lot of work left to make it perfect (iI am anal about this little craft) but you will get the idea.. i cant wait to get it to a mirror finish...

Pismo
03-04-2007, 06:15 PM
What/how did you do it? Polished finish will be fast than mirror.........Looks cool. Satin finish I should say.

marineclean
03-04-2007, 06:17 PM
It looks great! Good job polishing.

ATLDONZI
03-04-2007, 06:26 PM
i started with a citrus paint stripper.. applied that and reapplied it for a consecutive 2 hrs every 30 minutes... then i took a painters scraper and patiently scraped the paint away. then I applied more stripper to take off the zinc coating. repeat same process the i used a combonation od coarse steel wool/ and 80 grit to remove pitting (which there is still some) and then i just sanded 80 grit to 120 to 180 to 220 to wetsanded 320 to 400... then i used fine steel wool and then used mothers aluminum polish then neverdull.. all by hand... (yeah they are tired).. i still need to take it to my shop and use my mini DA sander to go back to 320 and bring it up to 1000 grit then use flitz and then jewlers rouge and my straight grinder with a polishing wheel to get it stupid shiney... then it will get a treatment on marine cleans metal serum... actually Donnie will the metal serum last under water under power?

MOP
03-04-2007, 06:34 PM
Satin is faster, there have been a lot of discussions both there and on OSO. Look at the major race boats they are all sating finish, I agree mirror would look cool.

Phil

ATLDONZI
03-04-2007, 06:42 PM
yep satin would be faster... when I used to race IODA one design prams we would wetsand the boat to 600+ to be faster.. i am not worried about the about a mile and hour... more concerned about the look.. i just want it took look cool as heck!

BUIZILLA
03-04-2007, 06:50 PM
where and when did you sail IODA prams ??....

so did I..

we used to use sprayed on graphite coating..

marineclean
03-04-2007, 06:56 PM
actually Donnie will the metal serum last under water under power?

I must say, that's a new question for me. :cool:

I have no problem with it out of the water and on trailers that are in briefly, but for some reason I see your newly polished lower being the test subject. :hyper:

ATLDONZI
03-04-2007, 07:04 PM
Donnie...... if you need my address let me know...lol

Buzilla I used to sail them out of saint petersburg yacht club.. I would travel to regattas all over the us and canada.. I also qualified for the South Americans in Peru... I had all sorts of different IODA prams.. i had a Mcglockin, a Winner, Lang etc.... with that said I also skippered J24's and sonars, and sailed in the Rolex cup in Californa in 1998 and our team won which won me a Rolex datejust oyster... probably the best trophy i have ever won sailing...

BUIZILLA
03-04-2007, 08:29 PM
geez, I used to sail IODA out of CRYC in Coconut Grove.... started at MYC and PHYC, this was in the mid-late 60's.... went to the Junior Olympics in Austria in '67 or '68 (fuzzy times :pimp: ) and finished 1st in USA team and 2nd in the world... taught collegiate sailing while at USF at StPYC in '71-'72 on weekends and sailed on the USF team in 420's, Laser's, Windmill's, Snipes and OK Dinghy's... burned out on canvas, chased p***y and powerboats after that... best pram I had was made by Robt. Brown, what a craftsman he was, Fred Bremen stitched the sails, unbeatable combo...

JH

ATLDONZI
03-04-2007, 08:44 PM
yep you named it i was the same way.. once i could drive a boat i got burnt out on sailing... still did it ocaisonally... Fred Breman huh... thats awsome i used to date his daughter Mandy.... small small world... we used to sail down at CRYC all the time.. used to stay with the bischoff's down there they had an awsome fish hut down on biscane out in the bay.... well atleast untill andrew blew it off its pylons...

yeller
03-04-2007, 08:55 PM
Looks good. I've always thought it'd be cool to do the whole drive.

jl1962
03-05-2007, 06:23 AM
ATLDONZI, Buizilla....

A good friend of mine and SPYC and Opti sailor of some reknown just moved to Lake Lanier area. Think he's getting a Thistle, but would probably settle for a Donzi ride sometime. Let me know and I'll hook you guys up. I still do a ton of sailboat racing, but nothing goes upwind like a Donzi!

JL

ATLDONZI
03-05-2007, 08:05 AM
whats his name? the guy who sailed opti's....

BigGrizzly
03-05-2007, 09:48 AM
Atldonzi, in real life the polished lower on your rig won't even 1 mph. s0o knock yourself out, its your thing go with it. I can tell when we hook up we will have a ton to talk about. I gave up the rag wagons years ago, in 1966 for the Donzi. I did some Lightning,M scow and 14 years ago. Then Donzi and Motorcycle racing took over my life. Looking back I wouldn't change anything about that part of my life! We Donzi dudes on the lake need to get together either by land or sea. I'll hang two lanterns in my window in the warmer weather.

jl1962
03-05-2007, 02:21 PM
whats his name? the guy who sailed opti's....

Mike Funsch. I think he holds the distinction of highest US finish ever at an Opti Worlds. I got to sail w/ him a little a few years ago when he was in NY. Good guy - great sailor.

:boat:

ATLDONZI
03-05-2007, 03:02 PM
WOW I know Mike very well... I grew up around him... Next time you see him ask him about the little Shakespeare brat who punched him in the nose when he hung them over water at a floating ramp at the sailing center...lol i did that when i was five... I havent seen him in years.. he is an awsome sailor.. Mike taught me a lot about sailing and he and my dad used to race our boat shinola (a modified sonar)a ton in the tampa bay race week regattas... man o man what a small world... last time i saw mike i was in high school and he was working for honeywell....whats he up to nowadays

jl1962
03-05-2007, 04:14 PM
I believe he is in the Atlanta area working w/ a friend from college. If you ever want his email, send me a PM. I sent him some pix of my boat and he has a standing invitation to visit us at Lake George.

Sorry to hijack your thread - nice 22!

JL