PDA

View Full Version : teleflex electric power assist

maddad
03-04-2007, 04:17 PM
Spoke to a few people about this and think it's a good way to hook up my sea star helm to an external steering system. I checked the cost with a local store and almost fell down when he said 1500+/- for the unit.
Any teleflex dealers here who can set me straight on the cost of a PA1200 assist unit?
Thanks,
Mike

BigGrizzly
03-05-2007, 09:57 AM
Maddad that is a little high for the PA unit. Maybe for the complete unit SeaStar and all. Most Full Hydraulic systems without the power steering pump are about $3000 to $7000, ie IMCO Lathham etc. Just think how much and trouble it would be to put the pump and brackets etc on the rig now. With mine I just stuck it in the middle and hooked up the wires, done! Fact is I am thinking on getting rid of the pump on the Criterion and put the Teleflex in its place- NO belts.

maddad
03-05-2007, 10:26 AM
Randy, the things you said about the power assist were a big part of my decision to go for it. $1500 just struck me as too much. I have a helm with my internal set up and want to buy the PA and external ram parts for my older Volvo drive to deal with a power increase. I keep an envelope handy to pay for boat things and only want to get as good a deal as possible. I'd like to wrap this up by spring time, but time is getting short.
If anyone can help with this, I'd be very thankful.

BUIZILLA
03-05-2007, 10:59 AM
Fact is I am thinking on getting rid of the pump on the Criterion and put the Teleflex in its place- NO belts. I would be VERY interested in this....

JH

BigGrizzly
03-05-2007, 05:46 PM
Buzz, I was talking to them at Miami, and will be calling them on it soon. Ir is on my Corsican now. The engineer at Teleflex said it wouls work with my twin rams. If I give him the number of my char-lyn helm he said there is a good chance I can keep it and not use the Sea Star we shall see. As usual I will keep you guys posted.