PDA

View Full Version : 1958 Switzer

McGary911
03-04-2007, 12:19 PM
End of January I went to a classic car auction in St. Cloud, FL. You never know what you'll run across at an auction. They had this '58 Switzer. Very cool old boat. Fit in perfectly with the old iron rolling across the auction block. The Switzer brothers made some very innovative boats in their day. Google Switzer Wing and you'll find some very very cool reading.
This boat was auctioned off to benefit someone with a medical problem. I didn't bid on it, as the LAST thing i need is a project. It was a touch soft in the transom, but other than that looked pretty good. Just add a vintage Merc outboard, and you have a very cool ride. Snapped a few pics. Enjoy!

Craig S
03-04-2007, 12:41 PM
Nice rig!!! What did it bid to?

pmreed
03-04-2007, 12:45 PM
Darn, I live 20 minutes from St. Cloud. I never even heard about that auction. I don't normally buy anything, but I love to spectate, not speculate.

Phil

McGary911
03-04-2007, 12:47 PM
Nice rig!!! What did it bid to?

I don't exact #'s (lots going ton that weekend), but I think it rolled (floated? :wink: ) for less than $4000.

Edit: I just looked it up on the auctioneers website, and it went for $3700. I'm surprised I remembered something close.

Craig S
03-04-2007, 12:53 PM
Lotsa bang for the buck!

smoothie
03-04-2007, 07:41 PM
Thats a shooting star...and very good original condition,Im a member of the switzercraft group...both switzer brothers are on the site and sharp as a pin,will help ya on anything,they have been helping me with my Bullet,BTW there was a 58 shooting star in the same condition that when for 12 grand on ebay,the antique outboard guys are really big on em with the fins and all...amazing what Dave Switzer did and still does with plywood.

Craig S
03-04-2007, 08:41 PM
Wow! That's wood? Molded ply? I would have thought it was glass.

pmreed
03-04-2007, 09:38 PM
This is my favorite Switzer (http://www.screamandfly.com/home/features/1957_switzer_shooting_star/1957_shooting_star.htm). I was well over 70 in my 22C and he kept right up with me. He's usually at the Mt. Dora show, so look for him.

Phil

smoothie
03-05-2007, 08:44 AM
Heres a 57 shooting star...notice the fins are like a 57 chevy,,,hand made out of plywood,,,not molded...now if the bothers can put up with me for another winter I may just build it next year:yes:

olredalert
03-06-2007, 10:25 AM
------The Switzer at auction belonged to and was restored by one of my oldest friends and my "Red Alert Racing" partner, Terry Carney. By the time of the Mecum auction he had already passed on from complications with melanoma cancer. He was 59. The auction was to benefit his daughter. There were three very nice cars involved as well. He was a real fan of Switzers (and all things floating) and introduced me to one of the Switzers up on the chain of lakes (Fox Lake, Ill.) one time. Terry was a one of a kind, bigger than life true "Irishman" from the tip of his toes to the end of his nose, and I miss him!!!.........Bill S