PDA

View Full Version : Transom glass work

KerrLake
03-04-2007, 08:57 AM
Is a transom rebuild something that should be left to the pros or feasible to do on your own? It is a z-25. What should it roughly cost without stringer work, just transom?
Brian

Trueser
03-04-2007, 12:48 PM
Most likely you have stringer work that will also be needed. The price depends on how much work you can do yourself. If you look thru some of my old post you can see the amount of work it takes. Would I do it again? NO WAY.

Unless you have the equipment I would leave it to the PROS.

Rough cost $ 1500.00 - 3000.00 depending on what they do.

Pismo
03-04-2007, 03:09 PM
Read this

http://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/showthread.php?t=145051

MOP
03-04-2007, 03:25 PM
Mike is 100% on track, if the transom is bad 99% the stingers are also starting to go at least at the back ends. Donzi like many other OEM's did not isolate the stringer wood from the transom wood, once the transom gets wet so does the stringers. The stringers in my 22 were wet up just forward of the engine mount brackets, the wood was white with -0- evidence of rot and was dry by the front of the rear seat, I kept cutting them back until I got dry saw dust to about mid ship then did a 4 foot sister and double them aft. Even though I did glass work for many years I was lucky enough to be able to employ a friend and former Hustler Boats glass man, the project took many hours as he is a fanatic!

Phil

KerrLake
03-07-2007, 08:36 PM
Pismo, I think you just talked me out of it!

realbold
03-07-2007, 09:14 PM
Depends on how handy you are. Like everything else nowadays, the way I see it, if you want it done right, do it yourself.

peregrine
03-07-2007, 09:50 PM
I restored Jags, AC's, and Morgans. A few others as well. I was no expert, had little experience when I started. A good quality craftsmen only has 2 tools, Persistance and Patience. If you use those liberally you can accomplish anything and be the wiser for it. :yes:

Dr. Dan
03-07-2007, 09:57 PM
Depends on how handy you are. Like everything else nowadays, the way I see it, if you want it done right, do it yourself.

:bonk: :smash: I kinda share that same philosophy but add a little reality to it...basically if I want it done right-and if I ever wanna go boating in this lifetime, then I hire a professional to do it! :eek!:

Otherwise I would never be at any Donzi Event. :bonk:

DonCig
03-07-2007, 11:12 PM
:bonk: :smash: I kinda share that same philosophy but add a little reality to it...basically if I want it done right-and if I ever wanna go boating in this lifetime, then I hire a professional to do it! :eek!:
Otherwise I would never be at any Donzi Event. :bonk:
Wisdom Shines Boys; do not let the light scare you away from the source!
Dr. Dan; I fully agree with your statement.

Don

Donzigo
03-08-2007, 08:56 AM
Let the pro do it................no one has mentioned how dangerous it is to be breathing this stuff. My guy brought a pretty sophistocated breathing suit when he ground out the fiberglass. He looked like a federal agent dealing with toxic chemicals. Fiberglass in your lungs is a killer.

realbold
03-08-2007, 01:26 PM
Fiberglass in your lungs is a killer.
Nothing a decent respirator can't handle. Now urethane paint, zinc chromate primer, those are the real killers. For me the transom wasnt too bad of a job. Everyone is different but I do know that a lot of glass shops are hack shops, I have seen some terrible work come out of them.

glashole
03-08-2007, 01:53 PM
How far are you willing to travel to get a good job done?

I am sure there are a few people here that could steer you to a reputable shop that would be able to get it done :)

KerrLake
03-08-2007, 07:44 PM
I would love to find a shop in NC. I have a customer who is a distributor for Triton, who gave me the number of the shop that does their warranty work. The guy has another 25ft donzi in for transom work. I am going to try and see that job as he gives me an estimate. Does anyone know any shops in NC?

Brian

Donzigo
03-10-2007, 11:29 AM
If you have a bd transom in a Z-25, even money says you'll have a stringer issue too.