PDA

View Full Version : Wellcraft Scarab Sprint

Air Dog
03-03-2007, 09:30 PM
Anyone ever have or still have one of these?

Just picked one up and I am looking for some info.

Here is a pic...

:lookaroun

Donzigo
03-04-2007, 06:23 AM
Definitely not a picture you see eveyday...........PAN AM......how the heck did he get th boat rig on the aitport tarmac and for what reason would it be there?

BigGrizzly
03-04-2007, 09:34 AM
The guy down the cove from me has one. Special graphics and a pretty boat not super fast but rides well and looks good. He has never had a problem of any kind but changes the water pump every season regardless and the circ pump every other season. I asked why and he responded " I can afford the pumps but
I can't afford to be on the water with a overheated engine and wife".

McGary911
03-04-2007, 09:59 AM
Nice looking little boat. I've always liked Scarabs. First big go fasts i was exposed to were early 80's S-Types. A shame that Scarab doesn't have a boat for you unless you have a fishing pole these days (larry smith excluded). What's it got for power? Looks to be about 20'? Gotta admit, that plane kind of throws off my sense of scale? Didn't Pan AM stop existing around the time the last Criterion rolled off the line at Donzi?

Good luck with it.

Marlin275
03-04-2007, 12:14 PM
These guys bought the name and fly on with their logo.
http://www.flypanam.com

I will never forget flying around the world on the 707,
and later the first 747s with the Miss World contestants,
to Tokyo from Hawaii.

Barry Eller
03-04-2007, 01:28 PM
I almost bought a Scarab like that a few years back, it was a nice boat, but it only had a 5.7 Mag, and I wanted something, lets say, more distinctive...so I wound up with my Donzi 22 Classic. I've seen the same Scarab a couple times...but only the bow...over my shoulder...I haven't had the opportunity to see it up close again...only from a distance.

:yes:

Air Dog
03-11-2007, 10:17 AM
Definitely not a picture you see eveyday...........PAN AM......how the heck did he get th boat rig on the aitport tarmac and for what reason would it be there?

I am a pilot for Pan Am and just got done flying for the night. Figured I would drag the Scarab in and clean it up.

It is a 19 Scarab Sprint. I am going to install a 4.3L 225hp Mercury V6.

I have a 1972 Cig 20 that I am restoring as well. The Sprint is just something to go boating with while I take my time with the Cig.

Barry Eller
03-11-2007, 10:35 AM
19', should be fun. The Scarab I looked at was 22'.

What are your normal flight routes in your day to day schedule? Do you stay mainland USA or out of country?

Air Dog
03-11-2007, 06:35 PM
Mostly USA and Carribean.

We just picked up NASCAR's airplane. Looks like most of my flying will be to the races this year.

thriller
03-11-2007, 10:32 PM
Looks like an L10-11? How many cycles on that bad boy?

Air Dog
03-21-2007, 10:47 AM
Air Dog:
I had a Delta pilot tell me once he thought the Lockheed L-1011 was one of the best jets of the era.
Good Luck with the Sprint!
Jack

Thanks Jack,

The boat I have is a 1997, (I think), it was an alpha drive, not the jet. I plan on slapping in a brand new 4.3 (225hp), 4 brrl carb Mercury I/O. I also am going to install trim tabs. Looking for an Alpha SS drive. Figure together that would make a good set up.

The L-1011 was one of the greatest airliners every built. Here is an example. Back in the day, Lockheed had a flying prototype that they were doing tests with. Douglass did NOT even have the DC-10 on the drawing boards yet. The DC-10 came out first!

This is why during the 60-70's the DC-10's were falling out of the sky and the L-1011's never had any problems at all.

Very much over engineered.

To bad Lockheed stopped making airliners.

Air Dog
03-21-2007, 10:50 AM
Close, it does have three engines, but it is a Boeing 727...

Not sure how many cycles, but it was a former United aircraft.

:outtahere

Air Dog
03-21-2007, 10:52 AM
Here are some more pics of my new toy...

Holman-Moody
03-21-2007, 01:12 PM
Air Dog:

I owned a '93 Scarab Sprint with the 140 (4 cylinder) Mercruiser and I re-powered it with the 4.3 V-6. I used the later vortec 4 bbl engine with balance shaft...a real sweet motor!

The boat in your pic though looks like a later model which came with the V-6 and jet drive.

Should be good for 55 MPH or so. The major problem I had with mine was that the aftward position of the cockpit and rear seat passengers together with the bigger and heavier engine made the bow stand straight up. I almost put a V-8 in mine...that would've been scary!

A fun little boat, my first project and I still miss it. When I heard Wellcraft would cease production of the closed bow runabouts a while back I sent Genmar a nasty email. Looks like it didn't help, though.

I had a Delta pilot tell me once he thought the Lockheed L-1011 was one of the best jets of the era.

Good Luck with the Sprint!

Jack

Holman-Moody
03-21-2007, 07:54 PM
I think I can give you a few tips to save a bunch of money here.

I bought my rebuilt longblock 4.3L from a guy on Ebay called michiganmotors and I was very happy with it. He sells quite a number of motors on Ebay. Currently, he has a 4.3L longblock on auction right now at $1700. I found a donor 4.3L for the rest of my parts:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/4-3L-Remanufactured-Marine-Engine-Mercruiser-4-3_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ50442QQitemZ250095371 594QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW

As for the drive check out Sterndrive Engineeering. They make a copy of the Merc Alpha 1 for about half the price of Mercruiser and I believe they have a 3 year warranty. I am running one of their lower units on my Pachanga (the blue boat) and I'm very happy with it. I purchased mine from Terry's Outboards, also on Ebay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/SE106-Outdrive-Sterndrive-Replaces-Mercruiser-Alpha-1_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ50442QQitemZ130092693 537QQrdZ1

When I was going to Cali on a regular basis back in the late '90s I would search out the Delta flights looking for L-1011's. Delta was one of the last airlines to fly the bird and as you well know, it ended up being axed for its huge appetite for fuel. Anyway, I enjoyed all the room on that wide body and with the triple screw config it was a real nice blast down the runway!

Jack

Air Dog
04-11-2007, 10:17 PM
Thanks for the tips Holman.

Now I am looking into Alpha SS drives.

:)

Air Dog
08-19-2007, 07:39 PM
Just picked up a low time 1995 Mercury 4.3L V6. I got everything, the wire harness, Y pipe, Transom plate, Gimble and complete Alpha I outdrive.

Very happy!

Any tips on removing it from the curent boat and into my scarab?

Thanks.