PDA

View Full Version : New Member from Long Island NY!!!!

K-WELLS
03-03-2007, 01:50 AM
Hey everyone-----MY name is Kevin Wells and im a first time boater from NY. I am in search of a mint 22 classic. I almost bought a brand new one from fred chall---I am still considering it but because it is my first boat I am concerned that i will mess it up quickly and if i can avoid the initial depreciation----I will. I will be using the boat in the great south bay. any advice, comments or helpful hints will be greatly appreciated!!!!!

realbold
03-03-2007, 06:43 AM
My $.02.........take a boating safety course :yes:

22zxla
03-03-2007, 07:45 AM
post your question on general and you will get more feedback!:boat:

glashole
03-03-2007, 07:49 AM
have you ever owned or driven any other boat at any time?

MDonziM
03-03-2007, 04:42 PM
Two basic suggestions from a lifetime boater. First I would take some sort of general boating operation/saftey course and specifically learn the ins and outs of your local waters. Second, a donzi 22 is not the most user friendly boat. I would try to get a ride on one before buying one blind to make sure its for you. (not trying to talk you out of it ) I live around Oyster Bay. If your still in the market in a month or so, I'm out there pretty often if you want to see what its like.

Dr. Dan
03-03-2007, 04:54 PM
:wink: What a coincidence, my first was a 22Classic, and still is!

I would suggest you go used for sure, and I would highly advise you come to the Lake George DustOff on Fathers Day weekend...you can check out all of the Donzis, and ride in as many 22's as you like.

Check out the DustOff Thread on the Events section and register and get a Hotel..... it will save you thousands of waisted advice and dollars!

Trust Me!!!!! Get enrolled in a few courses, on navigation and general boat handling...it's the first thing my Co-Pilot and I did.

I'm a Doctor-it's my job to give professional BS Advice... don't believe me ask anyone here! :cool!:

Good Luck

Doc :smash:

K-WELLS
03-03-2007, 10:43 PM
:wink: What a coincidence, my first was a 22Classic, and still is!
I would suggest you go used for sure, and I would highly advise you come to the Lake George DustOff on Fathers Day weekend...you can check out all of the Donzis, and ride in as many 22's as you like.
Check out the DustOff Thread on the Events section and register and get a Hotel..... it will save you thousands of waisted advice and dollars!
Trust Me!!!!! Get enrolled in a few courses, on navigation and general boat handling...it's the first thing my Co-Pilot and I did.
I'm a Doctor-it's my job to give professional BS Advice... don't believe me ask anyone here! :cool!:
Good Luck

I should have said "First time boat owner" not first time boater----i took my boater safety course when i was 15----I grew up in sayville LI and spent most of my youth at fire isalnd or on the bay.......as far as the boat is concerned-----I am 99% on an 07 with 496HO ----and i know i am in the money on it for a new boat-----$12k cheaper then my local dealer! With that being said it is worth it to have the warranty and piece of mind-----I know I know.....deprecition-----but sometimes its worth it?

Dr. Dan
03-04-2007, 12:36 AM
I should have said "First time boat owner" not first time boater----i took my boater safety course when i was 15----I grew up in sayville LI and spent most of my youth at fire isalnd or on the bay.......as far as the boat is concerned-----I am 99% on an 07 with 496HO ----and i know i am in the money on it for a new boat-----$12k cheaper then my local dealer! With that being said it is worth it to have the warranty and piece of mind-----I know I know.....deprecition-----but sometimes its worth it?

Well there Ya Have It...I must have misunderstood your original post? I thought you were looking for advice and direction...on purchasing a 22 Classic, but it sounds like you have made your mind up and you are actually seeking "Validation"...much different.

You'll get lots of that here.... but to be honest, after re-reading your initial post, ya wrote it like you were a fifteen year old, so ya came across young and inexperienced... so maybe I mis-read it...but I don't think I was alone in that interpretation...course I have been wrong before?

Good Luck With the Purchase... Take Pics When Ya Get it...! Then Register for Lake George Dustoff and get your butt up there....Fathers Day Weekend!!!

Be Well

Donzigo
03-04-2007, 06:14 AM
Dr. Dan...............I re-read the post and I could swear that he was humbly looking for some "first time boater" advice too. I thought everybody gave it, just like it was asked................well, I guess we got told, huh?

.....this one should meet the "sofa king".....maybe two like-minded individuals?.....not sure.....jury is still out.

undertaker
03-04-2007, 08:42 AM
Dude get the 07 with the 496HO you only live once (trust me:wink: ), but like Doc said try to do some of the events Lake George, AOTH, Lake Winni to name a few they are fun and you will gain a lot of knowledge talking to some of the veteran Donzi classic owners. Keep us posted.. and do not take Doc's post the wrong way he really is a gentle guy really he is:) :) :) :)

As far as him sounding like Sofa King give the guy a break not even close IMO besides he only has three posts...:yes: :yes: :boggled: :boggled: :bonk: :bonk:

Undertaker:pimp:

Sofa King
03-04-2007, 11:05 AM
You should buy mines. It will be for sale soon, great looking 97 wit a strong 99 454 mag mpi. Bumping Alpine & Halon systems.

Marlin275
03-04-2007, 12:00 PM
Kevin,

I have launched from Captree state park and love the Great South Bay! Lots of no wake zones around that side but what a great day in the Donzi.
The 22 will be great for those days when it kicks up and the carnival of boats out there.
Hope to see you out there some day.

MOP
03-04-2007, 12:22 PM
Hi and welcome aboard from an East End 22 owner, I most of my boating out on the Peconics. We have a lots of open water out here with darn few wake zones and several good ramps plus there are quite a few Donzi's out this way.

Phil

K-WELLS
03-04-2007, 08:56 PM
Kevin,

I have launched from Captree state park and love the Great South Bay! Lots of no wake zones around that side but what a great day in the Donzi.
The 22 will be great for those days when it kicks up and the carnival of boats out there.
Hope to see you out there some day.

How well is this thing gonna handle in 3-4 foot bay chop???? should i be worried? everyone keeps telling me to get a 24 superboat but i dont care about a cabin and I am in love with the way the 22 classic looks. So i guess my question is how does this thing handle the chop and willI get soaked and wish I wouldve gotten something bigger????

maddad
03-05-2007, 05:44 AM
An 18' Donzi, and a 21' Superboat, will deal with anything the Great South Bay can dish out west of the bridge, and most of what can happen east of it.
If your boating includes women and children, on the worst days you might want a 22' Donzi or the 24' Superboat.
All four of those boat are almost boring until it kicks up a bit.
Hope to see you out there.

MOP
03-05-2007, 05:57 AM
Super Boats are a great boat but I doubt if you will see any difference in ride or dryness. I am more then pleased with my 22!

Phil

Dr. Dan
03-05-2007, 06:46 AM
How well is this thing gonna handle in 3-4 foot bay chop???? should i be worried? everyone keeps telling me to get a 24 superboat but i dont care about a cabin and I am in love with the way the 22 classic looks. So i guess my question is how does this thing handle the chop and willI get soaked and wish I wouldve gotten something bigger????

:wink: K, If the 3 - 4' Chop is taken at Speed, it's much more pleasant then if you are not on plane, the 22 although it is a dryer boat for a Classic, it's not gonna like confused water at no wake...no little boat does! Or at lower speeds.

I have been over serious waves that I had no business being in while following larger boats...and I got through it...but it was not a picnic... the hull bangs, the joints don't like it...but the little boat does ok for a 22 footer. I always hunt for clean water(calmer) to run in... sometimes, its far away to get to it.

22 Classics love consistent chop.... if you have the room to run...it's an amazing hull for the size... Seat Time is critical...but keep in mind its not a Trawler... once its full on fuel, the Boat is around 4000 lbs with Gear & Passengers... mine does well. The 22 Classic is very Trim Sensitive and playing with the Drive and moderate Tabs, can make for an unforgettable experience, I agree...the lines on the 22 Classics are really second to none!

Doc of the Bay :spongebob

undertaker
03-05-2007, 02:50 PM
but keep in mind its not a Trawler

Was this directed at me:wink: :wink: Don't worry this year I have Sea Tow:) :)

Sorry for the hijack, Doc's post was right on...go buy a boat than get your seat time because IMO it is the most important part of owning a 22 classic....

Good luck

Undertaker:cool:

PS Just to maybe help ya out a little if you are seriously considering a 07 22 classic Frank Civitano (Shangied Again) on this board has a nice blue stripe Donzi for sale, he sold me my 05 22 classic straight up guy who treated me awesome and knows a ton about Donzi's. Here is his web site www.typhoonperformancemarine.com