PDA

View Full Version : Donzi 22ZX Questions

JohnF
02-28-2007, 05:17 PM
I am considering a 22 ZX, preferably with a 350 engine. Is this boat better suited to "Big Water" than a 22 Classic? Also, is this boat manageable for a 15 year old with tons of boating experience (everything from dinghys to 35 foot twin engine DCMY). I don't want to put too much boat (speed, handling quirks) in his hands no matter how good he is.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks!

22billyzx
02-28-2007, 06:46 PM
Hey John:
i own a 99 22zx and i love it! Mine has a 454 (310 hp i believe) the boat handles awesome,but apparently they have a tendencey to hook up in the front end if turning tight with the outdrive all the way down...just a little f.y.i. No other bad characteristics...i am thrilled with the fuel effiency of the E.F.I. motors. Mine also has trim tabs,and they reset themselves each time the motor is shut off,so i have to use them when at take off to get it to plane off better. The boat runs 62 at 4800 rpm (no gps) I feel it might do better with a different prop. It currently has a 4 blade 24 pitch bravo. I am quite sure the boy will be thrilled to ride a Donzi!

Formula Jr
02-28-2007, 09:33 PM
Thinking as a teenager, I would consider that this would be the ultimate frustration.
A 22ZX that went 45 MPH. Even in 1973, when I was fifteen, 45 wasn't considered fast. But, man! That cabin space would have gotten used...

:wink:

JohnF
03-01-2007, 08:43 AM
Thanks, guys. OK - let me get this straight - are you saying that the 22ZX with the 350 will only go 45 MPH? Hmmm, maybe we need the big block. 45 MPH is too slow.

Do you know anything about a Scorpion motor? I have seen one boat with this installed.

And yes, I hear you on the cuddy. Don't tell my wife (although I hope she figures it out! :wink:

ChromeGorilla
03-01-2007, 09:03 AM
The 22ZX with a 350 IS faster than 45MPH..... it's not that slow. A 22zx with a 350 MAG is over 60mph.

BigGrizzly
03-01-2007, 09:28 AM
22ZX with a 350 will run between 61 and 66 depending on engine and prop. As for better handling and ride than a 22 classic. Not better just different. we have both in our family. Both have big power now and ride and handling still apply just different. I prefer the 22 classic my son prefers the ZX. The 22ZX will hook violently if tabs are down and a J turn is attempted at 3/4 to full throttle. For those of you who don't a J turn is a sharp turn to go back in the opposite direction. Often used by the Coast Gard i n the Safe-boats. I you make the derision, but a 15 year old is still a 15 year old, he may be good but friends may not and you will be responsible. At 15 I was responsible but stupid in hind sight!
At the time I was experienced too, on boats all my life from sail to power yacht, but I still made mistakes. However I am still here and still alive and in almost in one piece.

JohnF
03-01-2007, 09:43 AM
Big Grizzly - My wife has made the samepoint about 15 being 15 (I did some stupid things with boats back then - and they didn;t go this fast) and the friends being around. Do you feel these boats - either the 22 classic or the 22 ZX are too much boat for akid this age, especially when his non-boating friends are with him? Do you have any other recommendations? Thanks!

RickSE
03-01-2007, 09:59 AM
Do you have any other recommendations? Thanks!

18 Classic. I think the 18C is Donzi's best all around boat. There are really no quirks to it at all, just a great boat, hit the gas and go. It's also a very capable boat for its size. Easy to tow and very maneuverable.

A 22-C with mild power is also a great boat, as the power increases though it becomes more of a driver's boat. As the others have said you just have to watch the turns in the 22ZX. A light small block in the back helps, slow down in the turns keep the drive trimmed up and don't crank the turn. Once you figure it out though it should be a piece of cake. The 22ZX should be the driest of the three boats.

BigGrizzly
03-01-2007, 10:19 AM
Ric has a point. However, don't for one moment that you are getting this just for him. My dad made this mistake back in 1966 with our 16 classic(which we still have). Problem is he and my mom would use it to cruise and leave us home. You and the wife will do the same. The classics have a beauty that is timeless. As for the boat safety none better. Stupid is the only issue, regardless what you choose. I will admit I loaned my son the Corsican when he was 15, but water wasn't as crowed as today. The thing is when will he grow up, if he is in a bubble, it will never happen! Every father and mother that cares about their children go through this. Don't think he doesn't listen it just seams that way. I still remember everything My father said. We use to talk about these discussions in his last years, he was surprised I had heard him. I am proud to say it is because of his and mom's guidance I am still boating and alive.

JohnF
03-01-2007, 10:33 AM
Gotcha - so any of these boats will do. I like the classics better for their looks - and I have always wanted one. But we do our boating on Lake Erie and if you have ever been her you know it can get pretty knarly. The 22 ZX may just be smarter (if I can find a good one).

Are there small block 22's out there? Are they hard to re-sell?

Does anyone know anything about the Scorpion Motor by mergury - a small block tuner from the factory?

Thanks,

JohnF

ChromeGorilla
03-01-2007, 10:56 AM
Heres a 22C with a SBC http://www.offshoreonlyclassifieds.com/page-12010.html

A 22ZX w/ a scorpion.... http://www.offshoreonlyclassifieds.com/page-8884.html

RickSE
03-01-2007, 01:05 PM
Big block & small block Chevy's in the 1999 & earlier 22ZX's.

After 1999 they were all small blocks, 350MAG (300HP), 6.2L (320HP) & Scorpion (350HP). The 6.2L & Scorpion motors came in around 2001 or 2002, 6.2L is still available but the Scorpion was discontinued last year. The Scorpion is worth it if you can find one for a good price. Most newer 22ZX's were 350's, fewer were 6.2L's and even fewer yet were Scorpions.

The 22ZX's did also have a few problems with the front seat pedestals being loose and the early models, maybe prior to 2000 or 2001, had problems with the front windscreen fairing cracking.

I see Frank's old 22ZX w/front bolster seats is back up for sale on EBay.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1999-Donzi-22ft-ZX_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ31271QQihZ001QQitemZ 110097326095QQrdZ1

Resale on the 22ZX should be pretty good. It's a great entry level boat and it was bassically discontinued by Donzi in 2007. There just are not really any other boats out there in the same class as the 22ZX. Find a good one and go for it. I wish I had one some days as an alternative to my 22C.

22zxla
03-01-2007, 05:32 PM
I think the 22zx would be fine for a 15yr old. The first day 65 feels fast then always feels slower as you boat more. If he knows boating to me the size dosent matter or his age. I see 40 yr old men with no experience on the water with bigger boats all the time. Now thats what scares me! The boats looks big on the trailer buy when its in the water wow it really shrinks! sure the 350 is easier on gas but i prefer the big block . good luck!

Boatclinic
03-01-2007, 06:11 PM
I have to butt in and say the 22Zx w/ 350 Mag is a great boat, one of my customers bought one 3 years ago and went crazy with our shop and told us to : Quote
(Pimp My Ride) :pimp: It happened that last week his wife is going to have her #3 Baby and he came in and said it has to go, you could almost see tears in his eyes, I just listed it on Donzi's for sale and I know he will take less than asking price. He has brought the boat in every 6 Months for complete detail, service drive etc, the guy is very easy going, Middle aged professional and the boat has not been abused. I know a 15 year old would be exstatic with a Donzi like this, Especially the Clarion Stereo System and 200 Watt Power Amp. With (6) 2 way Pioneer Speakers. Comes with all the accessories, Full Custom cover etc. Ck it out !
Oh and good Luck

22billyzx
03-03-2007, 08:55 AM
I see that the 99 donzi zx on ebay has a current bid of $26,000? I feel very fortunate that i have only 23 in mine,and it is sitting on a brand new trailer. I did notice the one on ebay says brand new motor installed last year. Dont know if thats good or bad. I found mine on boat trader,and it was listed thru a repo compnay that has yards on the west coast,florida,and cleveland where i found mine. I was hesitant about the repo thing,but after i looked at it,i was hooked. I even found the original owners name in the glove box,and called the guy. He was from Illinois,and just couldnt afford it any longer. The boat was in perfect shape with 260 hrs. The guy never had a trailer...he did the in-out service at the marina where he kept it. I think if he had bought a cheap trailer and found a storage building,he might have been able to afford it!