PDA

View Full Version : Steering Problem

Pismo
02-28-2007, 01:59 PM
Anyone have this problem before? Back at the engine end of the steering cable, the silver collar that the large aluminum nut (the one that threads onto the merc steering input) fits over is sliding in and out of the nut. The drive moves either way an inch or two, while the wheel does not move. The gimbals, arm, etc are all tight. The slop is in this nut/collar problem. Any ideas? I need a new steering cable? So on that tiny picture the white collar is sliding in and out of the nut on the rod end when I move the drive. Thanks. Stock Bravo setup.

oldandtired
02-28-2007, 02:47 PM
I am not sure where the problem is. I do remember having movement on the side that the cabler enters the steering rack, but I'm not sure if it was the exact same location. No matter how tight you make everything, it will never be a tight steering system. At the speeds that you are running, full hydraulic is no longer an option. I ran in the same configuration as you at around 73mph for a while and couldn't believe how much better the steering worked after the switch and how foolish I was being driving that boat so fast with crappy steering. There is an alternative to the dual or single ram external hydraulic system. There is a hydraulic helm that is mechanical, that attaches to the stock rack (I think it's made by teleflex). At the very least, that system will provide a positive stopping feature in the event of a power steering loss. It will still have some of the play of the stock rack. The external hydraulic system seems expensive and excessive until you think about what can happen if you fling a belt on the power steering pump at high speed.

Not pickin on your boat, just trying to pass on some of the best advice that I've gotten,

Rene

Pismo
02-28-2007, 02:53 PM
I agree a hydraulic system is needed and I am in the process of measuring up a Zeiger system. Just trying to figure this current problem out as well.

oldandtired
02-28-2007, 04:02 PM
I just went in the garage and checked my old cable and steering unit. The sleeve does not slide through the nut. It has a flange that meets up with the steering assist unit and should not go into it. Sounds like you need to take it apart and see if it's the cable end or the steering unit.

Good luck,

Rene

MOP
02-28-2007, 09:10 PM
Are you sure the motion is not in the shuttle valve for the power steering? You need to have some one watch as you move the drive, you may find that it is the shuttle valve moving and not the cable.

Phil

Pismo
03-01-2007, 01:13 PM
Yes I have had someone watch as I move the drive and it is the collar under the large steering cable nut that is moving in and out as I move the drive by hand. Everything else is tight. New cable needed I suppose.

MOP
03-01-2007, 02:47 PM
Remove the lock tab and see if it was not properly tightened, usually the only tihng that will allow the the cable to move within the collar is a loose nut. Not sure how old you cable is but with power steering they normaly last a very long time.

Phil

CHACHI
03-01-2007, 03:59 PM
I agree a hydraulic system is needed and I am in the process of measuring up a Zeiger system. Just trying to figure this current problem out as well.Pismo, no measurements needed. Talk to Paul and he will hook you up with the right parts. He is a very nice guy.

Ken