PDA

View Full Version : Ford and International in big urinating contest

gold-n-rod
02-27-2007, 02:29 PM
Ford tussles with maker of diesels for F-Series
By James R. Healey, USA TODAY

Created: 2/27/2007 11:59:59 AM
Updated: 2/27/2007 12:01:22 PM

A dispute between Ford Motor and its diesel engine supplier, International Truck and Engine, threatens to halt production of Ford's recently launched and important heavy-duty F-Series trucks.

International said it quit shipping diesels to Ford on Thursday and shut its Indianapolis engine plant on Monday, idling 1,200 workers.

"They haven't paid us. We can't continue to build excess inventory. We're a just-in-time manufacturer," International spokesman Roy Wiley says.

The dispute goes back to problems with 6-liter diesels that International supplied for previous Ford heavy-duty trucks beginning in 2002.

In a lawsuit filed Jan. 11 in Oakland County, Mich., Circuit Court, Ford says it "has incurred warranty repair, owner notification program and reacquired vehicle costs related to the 6.0L engine," and International hasn't paid its share, as required in a contract. To compensate, Ford withheld engine payments to International in December 2005 and again last month.

"There were some warranty problems with that, but we thought those problems were all cleared up with Ford," Wiley says. He calls the lawsuit "totally without merit" and says his company will file a response in court by the Wednesday deadline.

Ford has enough diesels to continue building 2008 heavy-duty F-Series trucks "for the near term. We're not saying whether that's days, weeks or months," says Ford spokeswoman Becky Sanch.

The redesigned F-Series heavy-duties are one of Ford's highest-profile introductions this year. Built at Ford's Kentucky plant, the heavy-duties make up 40% of F-Series sales, and 70% of them use the International diesel, Sanch says. F-250s and F-350s usually are configured as pickups. F-450s and F-550s typically are sold to buyers who outfit them as tow trucks, dump trucks and other commercial rigs.

Because buyers of heavy-duty trucks usually need them for business, they might shift to trucks from General Motors and Dodge if Fords aren't available.

"The timing is awkward to say the least, which makes me think it'll get resolved," says David Healy, auto industry analyst at Burnham Securities. "The big version of the F is all they have new in that line this year. It's all they have to advertise against the new Toyota pickup and GM's new line."

Diesel-truck sales generate about $11.6 billion annually for Ford, according to Peter Nesvold, Bear Stearns analyst. That's 7.2% of $160.1 billion total revenue last year. Ford reported a net loss last year of $12.7 billion and a $2.8 billion operating loss after taxes.

In a note to clients, Nesvold said Ford and International "are tied at the hip for diesel engines for the F-250 and F-350 (which also happens to be one of Ford's few major launches this year)."

If the standoff lasts more than 30 days, both companies could suffer significant losses, he said.

"A lot of money is involved. I can't tell you how much, but we wouldn't have taken such drastic action unless it was significant," Wiley says.

International's parent, Navistar International, was suspended from the New York Stock Exchange on Feb. 13 for not filing revised financial information for 2005 in time. Navistar shares trade over the counter, pending an appeal of the NYSE ruling. The company says it hasn't filed financial statements for 2005 or 2006, while it reviews apparent errors.

Contributing: The (Louisville) Courier-Journal

Craig S
02-27-2007, 03:10 PM
I'd like to see those warranty/buy back numbers.

rustnrot
02-27-2007, 03:30 PM
While Ford and International argue over who's in Last Place, Toyota to build a $1.3 billion plant in Mississippi.

http://www.theautochannel.com/news/2007/02/27/038462.html

zimm17
02-27-2007, 03:43 PM
While Ford and International argue over who's in Last Place, Toyota to build a $1.3 billion plant in Mississippi.
http://www.theautochannel.com/news/2007/02/27/038462.html

If only Toyota made a 3/4 ton diesel truck- I'd buy it.

BUIZILLA
02-27-2007, 03:53 PM
Navistar and CAT had a HUGE pissing contest that lasted for years over injectors, CAT told Navi to stick their business, and bought the reman center from underneath them, at the same time.... Navi has problems....

apollo24
02-28-2007, 04:46 PM
I'm just glad to see Yota coming here to MS. We have lots of people ready to work, no questions asked.

BTW, just walked out of the repair shop with girlfriend's Ford Exploder. Needed ball joints. Why, with only 85k miles, I asked. They told me that all of them (Explorers, among other Fords) wear out at 90k miles. My father, stepmother and girlfriend have all had Exploders. Total junk.

Back to Toyota. Can't afford otherwise.

Cuda
02-28-2007, 06:46 PM
I'm just glad to see Yota coming here to MS. We have lots of people ready to work, no questions asked.
BTW, just walked out of the repair shop with girlfriend's Ford Exploder. Needed ball joints. Why, with only 85k miles, I asked. They told me that all of them (Explorers, among other Fords) wear out at 90k miles. My father, stepmother and girlfriend have all had Exploders. Total junk.

Debbie's Explorer Sport Track has 121,000 miles, and all I've changed was the front brake pads. It's ready for rear brakes though. She just told me today. :(

Rootsy
03-01-2007, 07:35 AM
I was at a customer yesterday and they had a new Toyota Tundra in the middle of the plant doing component fitment... I crawled all over that thing... outside, it looks nice, well put together and quality overall... you can actually see all of the coil boxes and have a lot of room to work under the hood... inside... they can shove that ugly thing right up their pooper.... 40k price tag on the window too.... ouch...

I interveiwed with Navistar before i graduated almost a decade ago now... glad i didn't take that job...

our 6 litre F350 work truck is on it's 2nd set of injectors too... and it's a 2003.... Ford didn't offer to pick-up the 2nd set until the lawyers got involved...

Sofa King
03-01-2007, 09:19 AM
Navstar & Ford deserve each udder, both cream of da crap. Maybe ford will hook up with Detroit :wink:

gcarter
03-01-2007, 09:28 AM
This isn't the norm.
We have two Explorers....one with 240,000 miles, the other w/129,000 miles. The only thing we've done to either of them is front end kit installation so that the front end can actually be aligned....you might look at this instead of new front end, and several sets of brakes on the high miler. One AC compressor on the high miler. Belt tensioners on both. Just maintain them.
I use Toyota PU's for service trucks. About a dozen in the last 20 years. They are bullet proof. Always good for 300K-400K miles.

gold-n-rod
03-01-2007, 10:38 AM
Update:

Mar 1, 12:02 AM EST

Dispute with diesel supplier will halt line at Ky. Ford plant

By JIM IRWIN
Associated Press Writer

DETROIT (AP) -- A Michigan judge ordered a supplier to resume shipments of diesel engines to Ford Motor Co.'s Kentucky Truck Plant, the automaker said.

The dispute between Ford and Navistar International Corp. had forced the automaker to announce that it was temporarily halting production.

But on Wednesday, Oakland County Circuit Judge John McDonald granted Ford's motion for a temporary restraining order requiring Navistar to resume producing and shipping diesel engines to the truck plant in Louisville, Ky., Ford spokeswoman Becky Sanch said.

Ford sued Warrenville, Ill.-based Navistar in January, alleging the company failed to pay for its share of recalls and repair costs from the 6-liter diesel used in the 2002-2007 model years. Ford said it was withholding some of those costs from payments to Navistar on the new engine.

Navistar builds the 6.4-liter diesel engine used in the 2008 F-Series Super Duty trucks. It had idled its Indianapolis plant and ceased shipments to Ford because of the dispute over payments. Its last load of engines to Ford arrived Feb. 22.

"We expect (Navistar) will resume production under the court order," Sanch said after McDonald issued his ruling. "Once we begin receiving engines we will return to our regular operation at the plant as quickly as possible."

Navistar spokesman Roy Wiley said McDonald's order also prevented Ford from withholding warranty-related costs from its payments to Navistar on the new engine.

"We have no problem producing engines for Ford," Wiley said. "We just want to be paid. They have not been paying for those engines because of the warranty dispute."

Wiley declined to say how much money Navistar claims it is owed by Dearborn, Mich.-based Ford.

Another hearing on the dispute was scheduled for March 7 before McDonald.

About 40 percent of the nearly 800,000 F-Series trucks sold by Ford last year were diesel powered.

Craig S
03-01-2007, 01:01 PM
That's alot of '06 diesels!!!