PDA

View Full Version : new furniture

show-n-go h2o
02-27-2007, 01:08 PM
most of you are probly lucky enough to have an IKEA store near you, we dont have one in cincinnati, but i just bought a bunch of stuff from the canton store and thought i would share my experience.
price=great
cust. service=excellent
assembly=easy

overall i rate them great, if your in need of anything that goes in your house i would highly recommend taking a look at what they have. here are some pics of what i bought.

Ranman
02-27-2007, 02:20 PM
I'd like to see the rest of whatever's connected to that elbow in pic 2. :wink:

Cincinnata to Canton is a bit of a drive. What prompted you to come up?

show-n-go h2o
02-27-2007, 03:25 PM
It was the closest IKEA to me. if your coming to the AOTH you'll see the rest of whats on that elbow, haha i'll try and get a pic of my new donzi girl up on this thread when i get home i dont have any here at work.

Lenny
02-28-2007, 01:37 AM
JIT Manufacturing and RTA products rule in the Consumer driven markets of today. Flatpack, shipping, in home assembly etc.

CHINA has NOT captured this market. The Europeans created it, nourished it, did ALL the capital investment and generally created a Global Economy around sound, viable, quality products. With CNC at anyones fingertips, and Don Tamm able to ramp up (and friends of mine as well) anyone anywhere with some education, if you have "AC" (power) then eventually the lowest labour quotient will prevail.

In the CNC world, and G-codes and a "Perfect" is PERFECT mentality, which it is, it will be the END of the story. Loaded with an executable Batch file, with accuratley placed Flip Pods on an XYZ table, a quality piece of wood or laminate or substrate, ANYTHING can be as good as anyone else's. PERIOD. Now, would you pay to have the identical product made in the USA or Canada for $100 or would you buy it for $20... ??? Same thing...

???

The Europeans have been soooooooo freakin far ahead of anyone on EARTH in regards to CNC technology and effective, timely manufacturing processes, invented JIT etc, that they are untouchable. Their machines are the difference between buying a "Ted Stevens" (Sears) outboard in the late 70's or a 575 SCI from MERC today.

This is another area that will soon disappear from the North American market as a viable Business, or be competitive, or be supportive of a good business model.

There are soo few people on Earth that will pay for the best, and so many that are suffering from the demise of many home-grown Industries that have lapsed to overseas, that their only choice is to buy what they can afford.

I think we have visited this before.

Yes, nice boxes in the pics. IKEA,.. Austria,Switzerland,Germany and Spain have fueled an Industry that has given us a product that, soon, anyone with 600 volts can make.

:(

CHACHI
02-28-2007, 06:04 AM
My bride loves that place.

Ken

Tim Morris
02-28-2007, 11:35 AM
It's used mainly for cutting out large graphics.
It does anything from thin vinyl to 2" acrylics etc.

Maybe I should try cuttin' out some furniture.

ATLDONZI
02-28-2007, 12:30 PM
we have an IKEA here in atlanta.. i have gone there once....everything is to busy in that place, and i am not a fan of the hords of people. it felt like an upscale walmart... and i hate walmart

pmreed
02-28-2007, 01:25 PM
We don't have an IKEA in florida; and looking through their stuff, I can see I probably wouldn't shop there anyway. My taste runs to heavy, massive furniture, usually dark. The things I buy usually need a couple of strong guys to carry in and set up.

Phil

ATLDONZI
02-28-2007, 01:44 PM
also a lot of their furniture is small... made for small space living.....

rustnrot
02-28-2007, 02:27 PM
600 VAC? I can do it with 120VAC right in my garage. When not cutting boat parts, I cut this plasma tv stand out on my Shopbot CNC as we could not find what we wanted online. All tongue and groove fitup, I whipped up a 3D CAD rendering, broke it apart by computer then toolpathed it for cutting on my machine. Still needs edge band to hide plywood edge and then staining and finishing.....simple design in the IKEA style which we like...

ATLDONZI
02-28-2007, 03:29 PM
lol...that looks like a spoiler off a ricer mobile

McGary911
02-28-2007, 04:22 PM
600 VAC? I can do it with 120VAC right in my garage. When not cutting boat parts, I cut this plasma tv stand out on my Shopbot CNC as we could not find what we wanted online. All tongue and groove fitup, I whipped up a 3D CAD rendering, broke it apart by computer then toolpathed it for cutting on my machine. Still needs edge band to hide plywood edge and then staining and finishing.....simple design in the IKEA style which we like...

And what's nice about that, is that if your neighbor buys a similar TV, and likes you stand, you can easily make him the exact same one.

Some stuff at IKEA I like and some I don't. I still have one of their shelves. Nice thing about that stuff is that it is trendy and cheap, which is good, cuz trends are just that, trends, and will need an update in a few years. Not the place to go if you like traditional furniture.

Anyone ever shop in South Carolina at the factories (or is that NC?). I ask, because I'll be buying a house this year, and after living in a condo for 9 years, will need to buy a LOT of furniture.

ChromeGorilla
02-28-2007, 04:46 PM
Anyone ever shop in South Carolina at the factories (or is that NC?). I ask, because I'll be buying a house this year, and after living in a condo for 9 years, will need to buy a LOT of furniture.

Your thinking of High Pointe NC...... lots of good deals on furniture....

Have you started to look for a house? We were down last weekend looking at different builders and such..... leaning towards a DR Horton home in Heritage Landing @ World Golf Village....... or a couple other places on the other side of the river.... Flemming Island and Silver creek areas.

rustnrot
02-28-2007, 07:24 PM
While High Point, NC is still the place where new designs are shown to dealers, very little furniture is made in NC anymore. Mark, yesyoucan, on here has a huge furniture business and, as I recall from his conversations 90% of traditional furniture is Made in China. Yep, even legacy brands you have always heard of, now made in state of the art factories, CNC'd and assembled in China, put on a shipping container for here.
There are now lots and lots of vacant warehouses and former factories in NC. Mark has made countless trips to NC over the past few years buying the leftover factory residue, which is now virtually nil.
McGary911, when you get ready for furniture, come see Mark here in Augusta, now in Lake Oconee also. He will deliver to Florida.

chappy
02-28-2007, 08:10 PM
Their machines are the difference between buying a "Ted Stevens" (Sears) outboard in the late 70's or a 575 SCI from MERC today.:(
Not to hijack the thread, I agree with Lenny on this topic, but didn't Sears call their outboards "Ted Williams" models? Unless used in NY?:tongue:
Rich

Lenny
02-28-2007, 09:01 PM
Not to hijack the thread, I agree with Lenny on this topic, but didn't Sears call their outboards "Ted Williams" models? Unless used in NY?:tongue:
Rich

Yep, you win :) I had a customer named "ted Stevens". In fact, you are right, it was a "Ted Williams" outboard. You could buy your Craftsman socket set and an Outboard back then. Let's not forget the Bearcat and the Seagull either ;)

Sofa King
02-28-2007, 10:54 PM
Ikea sells crap, lots of MDF. Euroway is better quality than Cantoni for hard contempary, just have to know how to work a deal :wink: