PDA

View Full Version : New guy, old ?

peregrine
02-26-2007, 03:47 PM
Hi guys,
Found this forum and think it is great. Don't own a Donzi yet, but I figured I would lurk around here and find some info on them. I was hoping you guys and gals could offer some input. I think I have it narrowed down to a 22' classic or similiar. I would like to use it to ski on lakes and trips into the salt occasionally. Any pro's, con's, things I should think of. I am probably going the cheapest route available and looking for a hull to start with. I am very mechanically inclined. Did a stint in restoring old Jag's for a couple of years so I figure I could handle some resto work on a boat, but I know almost nothing about them. Basically I can't afford one and would rather have a Donzi shell in my yard that will take me a year to restore than have a 17' (insert boat name here) in the water. I am talking limited budget. I am leaning towards a SB/Alpha. I won't be doing holeshots all day. Don't care about the difference in top end. I would greatly appreciate any advice. I am not looking to purchase immediately so I don't need any referals to what is currently on the market. I am in CT and I am wondering about wether or not I can put this type of boat into some of the smaller lakes. I was already told I couldn't go over 125hp in Roger's Lake in Old Lyme, where my wife's family is. It is the little known things like this I need to know. Any years, etc... I should stay away from. I don't think I am interested in a V-drive. Just any thoughts or ideas you can sling at me....

undertaker
02-26-2007, 03:56 PM
Welcome to the board:).....I would use the search feature here on this board type in "22 classic etc. and a wealth of info will pop up. Good luck keep us posted on your progress.

Undertaker:cool:

PS Some of the seasoned vets on here I am sure will chime in also:yes: :yes:

DonziJon
02-26-2007, 06:36 PM
Welcome to the forum: Many small lakes have restrictions on horsepower. If that's the case you probably wouldn't be interested in going there with a Donzi anyhow, which are usually 60+ mph boats and you would run out of room pretty quick.

In Connecticut, a nice place to launch is under the I-95 bridge in Old Lyme on the Connecticut river. There are speed limits, depending on the time of year. The maximum is 45 mph.. I think that is out of season. It's a nice cruise up to Hartford.. about 40 miles, one way. Go out to the ocean if you want to open it up. Go to "Defender Marine"..Waterford?? and get a chart of the river to see what it looks like. John