PDA

View Full Version : New Livorsi side throttle

zimm17
02-23-2007, 02:33 PM
I was checking out the Livorsi booth at the Miami boat show and noticed a billet side throttle on a display board. I interrupted Mike Livorsi from some conversation and asked him what the deal is with that throttle.

It's a brand new prototype going to production very very soon. It's supposed to replace the quicksilver unit and bolt right in using the existing cables and everything. Even had a trim switch in it. Anyway, I have one on order- as soon as it gets here I'll post pics and do a report on it.

Don't call the sales people yet- they don't even know it exists. I had to talk directly to Ed Mannion, the VP to get it ordered.

Now I just have to wait for production to start...

I should have taken a photo of it while I was there.

p729lws
02-23-2007, 08:00 PM
Two orders and no photos??? Why did I log in here? Too cool for Sunday school I guess...

zimm17
02-26-2007, 08:35 PM
I was too busy fineagling one from Mike Livorsi to think about taking a picture of it. He made it sound like they were shipping right away. Darn it.

'poodle- what color did you order?

ATLDONZI
02-28-2007, 09:39 AM
any pictures of it... it must look better than the plastic quicksilver one i hate it... its one of the few items that date my classic

ATLDONZI
02-28-2007, 09:40 AM
nevermind i see you didnt take any.....:bonk:

Ranman
02-28-2007, 10:24 AM
Someone has to have a picture of this. Poodle? Chromey? Come out with it. :) It's not like it's a secret, it was at the Miami Boat Show.

I'm really wanting to see what this looks like.

ChromeGorilla
02-28-2007, 03:23 PM
Ask and ye shall receive....
http://www.hotboat.com/image_center/data/500/livorsi_side.JPG

gold-n-rod
02-28-2007, 03:54 PM
It's a real beauty and I'd love to have one powerdercoated in white.
I only see one problem. Won't most of us be replacing the black plastic Quicksilver/Merc factory control. It's got quite a large housing and prolly a big hole underneath.
How will this new piece cover the existing hole(s)??? :confused:

zimm17
02-28-2007, 06:29 PM
I don't care how I cover it up- that throttle looks soooo bad ass!!! I'll make a plate if I have to. Mine's going to be red.

Cuda
02-28-2007, 06:54 PM
How much are they getting for them?

Debbie and I got into a "discussion" about changing some things on her boat. I told her I'd like to keep it stock looking, but might let her change guages and dash panel. This might be in the works too. I just showed her the picture, and her eyes lit up, and she said, "Oh, yeah!". :)

Pismo
02-28-2007, 06:56 PM
All you need is the handle and a faceplate.

zimm17
02-28-2007, 07:01 PM
I think retail will be $450. I got a little off the "boat show special" or more importantly, to "get the word out" once production starts. I think you can say were doing that for good 'ol Lavorsi.

If the thing works well, we should ask for a donzi forum discount.

The Hedgehog
03-01-2007, 05:40 AM
I was wondering how long it would take somebody to do that. That looks beautiful. Looks like it will drop right in the 16.

Ranman
03-01-2007, 10:19 AM
Thanks for posting the pic.

Honestly, I'm not very impressed. It has an OK billet look to it, but it doesn't look very ergonomic. It looks like it would be uncomfortable to hold both horizontally and pistol grip style. When I'm running hard I hold my throttle so tight my hand hurts, so something comfortable would be nice. I've seen newer model Quicksilver throttles that are designed for both horizontal (for shifting and docking) and pistol grip (for throttling as speed) use that are better designed. Not as pretty, but better ergonomics. u

I'm not sure about this one. I guess it's more attractive that the QUicksilver model I have, but that's about it. I was hoping it would have been more along the lines of the zero effort style throttles or have some sort of trick pistol grip or something...

Eugene Nahemow
03-01-2007, 04:11 PM
Honestly, I'm not very impressed. It has an OK billet look to it, but it doesn't look very ergonomic. It looks like it would be uncomfortable to hold both horizontally and pistol grip style. When I'm running hard I hold my throttle so tight my hand hurts, so something comfortable would be nice. I've seen newer model Quicksilver throttles that are designed for both horizontal (for shifting and docking) and pistol grip (for throttling as speed) use that are better designed. Not as pretty, but better ergonomics. u
I'm not sure about this one. I guess it's more attractive that the QUicksilver model I have, but that's about it. I was hoping it would have been more along the lines of the zero effort style throttles or have some sort of trick pistol grip or something...

I with Ranman on this one.
Is everyone sure it's billet? It looks plastic in that photo.

I always thought that this was a good start for a throttle design.
http://www.gtmarine.com/parts/Incontrol_p03.php

zimm17
03-01-2007, 05:33 PM

Well that picture doesn't do it justice. When I saw it, I immediately thought "WOW!" It's also comfortable for me and I like where the trim buttons are too.

The in-control would look better on that MTI bat boat than a Donzi CLASSIC.

BUIZILLA
03-01-2007, 05:41 PM
I don't know if I would want billet steel next to my ribcage... plastic bends and breaks, billet punctures..

justleft
03-01-2007, 06:46 PM
Personally, I like dual controls. Seperate throttle and shift.

An In-Control with older Kiekeifer (sp?) looking handles would
be the trick in my '86 22c.

bob

Cuda
03-01-2007, 09:08 PM
Personally, I like dual controls. Seperate throttle and shift.
An In-Control with older Kiekeifer (sp?) looking handles would
be the trick in my '86 22c.
bob
It probably would be hard to mount. You'd need a pod to put it in. My Minx has dual controls, but it has a place to mount them.

justleft
03-02-2007, 01:18 PM
Cuda, The in-control is a side mount.

But it has Startrek looking handles. Don't know if I want to
shovel out $700+ and then get one of my NASCAR neighbors to CNC
some retro handles. Oh and while I'm at it include a trim switch.

Hint, hint just in case Mike L is viewing.

bob

Ranman
03-02-2007, 09:14 PM
Cuda, The in-control is a side mount.
But it has Startrek looking handles. Don't know if I want to
shovel out $700+ and then get one of my NASCAR neighbors to CNC
some retro handles. Oh and while I'm at it include a trim switch.
Hint, hint just in case Mike L is viewing.
bob

Seriously! If the In-Control side throttle had a tad better styling like the Livorsi's or Latham's or whatever, they'd be sweet. Oh yeah trim in the handle is a must too.

zimm17
03-26-2007, 06:02 PM
Shipped today!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
:hyper: :hyper: :hyper: :hyper: :hyper: :hyper: :hyper: :hyper: :hyper: :hyper: :hyper: :hyper: :hyper: :hyper: :hyper: :hyper: :hyper: :hyper:

The Hedgehog
03-26-2007, 06:11 PM
Shipped today!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
:hyper: :hyper: :hyper: :hyper: :hyper: :hyper: :hyper: :hyper: :hyper: :hyper: :hyper: :hyper: :hyper: :hyper: :hyper: :hyper: :hyper: :hyper:

Show us the pics when you get it in. I think it is a good looking setup.

BTW, Got the Dana's They are some serious looking hardware

zimm17
03-26-2007, 06:21 PM
I'll take a bunch of pics. And yes, those dana exhaust are awesome. I read on the OSO forums that they are backordered 6 weeks on them.

undertaker
03-26-2007, 06:54 PM
Zimm you are doing a ton of upgrades this winter...good luck and get some pics on this here board.....when ya get a chance:) :) :) :)

Undertaker:cool:

Did I see on another board you are doing a whipple.....just curious:pimp:

zimm17
03-26-2007, 07:06 PM
Yup, tons of upgrades. After the Miami boat show I figured it would be MUCH cheaper to dump $15k into my paid off boat than to get something bigger.

On the slate:

Livorsi throttle
Stainless marine pop-up trim indicators
Livorsi monster gauges
XS steering
used IMCO 2" shortie
and a used 2.3L EFI whipple kit

Of course everything is on the way except the indicators, which I can't install until I get the steering in first.

undertaker
03-26-2007, 07:55 PM
Sounds nice....don't forget to save a little cash for props because you should get a few more MPH with those upgrades..:) :) :) Good luck with everything..

Undertaker:propeller

zimm17
03-26-2007, 07:59 PM
OSO made the official announcement on the 20th...

http://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/showthread.php?t=154013

And a silver one on hotboat:

http://www.hotboat.com/forums/showthread.php?t=139916

and yes, I'm planning for a hydromotive QIV prop- no idea what pitch for a whippled 454...

Budmann
03-28-2007, 12:54 PM
Make that three!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:yes: :yes: :yes: :yes: :yes: :yes:

Matches my steeringwheel Purrrrfectly!!!

Dr. Dan
03-28-2007, 08:55 PM
Teleflex also offers a newer side mount... I got one last year, its a bit flashier with some polished bling... kinda a blend of old and new. About $320 or so.

I understand Livorsi is going to fabricate and optional plate to address the larger opening issues that may be a factor on our boats as well as others.

I will be anxious to see how this new one looks and performs....I have some concerns that it looks alittle short...in length...compared to the stock units...

guess I would have to see. Sure looks cool...:eek!:

Doc

Air 22
03-28-2007, 09:14 PM
http://www.livorsi.com/press/PR-07/Livorsi%20Marine%20Side%20Mount%20Control.pdf

Spoke to Livorsi today...Those with Quicksilver Throttle mounts will need an addtional Bezel plate to cover the factory opening. Teleflex units may or maynot need this plate. they indicated the Plates will be ready soon. Also the stock cable connections need to be adjustable...the fixed loop type will need to be replaced w type 33 cables etc...The sales guys will set you right just ask!!
Price $449.00 plus shipping:wink:

They do look nice!:yes:

zimm17
03-29-2007, 04:14 PM
It's here!!!!! Just showed up. My digital camera's battery is out on loan so I had to make due with my cell phone for now. Of course the boat is in the shop getting the drive pulled- so it won't go in for a little while.

I'm wondering if I can't just bolt the shiney handle and bezel onto my existing throttle and save a bunch of work. I have no idea how I'm going to get to the back of the throttle itself.

I'll try to get larger pictures too.

Budmann
03-29-2007, 06:39 PM
Looks great!!!! Can't wait to get mine! Let us know what kinda work it was putting in that bad boy!

Bud

zimm17
03-29-2007, 06:45 PM
After playing with it a little bit, I realized in the photos the throttle is in almost full reverse for shipping reasons (fits in a small box). With the throttle in neutral, the cables are a rear exit, although it is changeable.

I'll report back on the install progress. I'll do it with my XS steering at the same time since I'll have to run all the hyd hoses back too.