PDA

View Full Version : Grouper

gcarter
02-21-2007, 12:02 PM
None of the restaurants here in Central Florida have any grouper on the menu. This has been the case for about a month.
Anyone know why?
Or when they will become available again?

gold-n-rod
02-21-2007, 12:07 PM
mmmm, Grouper. I had some at Hooters when I was there Saturday. :) I skip the wings and go straight for the grilled Grouper sandwich.

It's tough explaining myself when I come home from Hooters with my hands smelling of fish, however!! :bonk:

Sofa King
02-21-2007, 12:23 PM
Nothing like a nice fried strawberry Grouper sammich with melted cheese, bermuda onion, lettuce, tomato and plenty of tartar sauce with a 12 pack.

mmmmm

tangent70
02-21-2007, 01:11 PM
We seem to have a lot here. Friend of mine caught one near one hundred pounds last week

Morgan's Cloud
02-21-2007, 01:17 PM
Maybe 'cos they've been overfished there like they've done over here.
When I was a kid 200 pounders were common .. now you're lucky to catch anything over 60 lbs.
BTW , even though there is a "Bermuda" in Texas , real Bermuda onions only come from here :wink: Straight out of the ground you can eat 'em like an apple.

BUIZILLA
02-21-2007, 01:21 PM
yeahhh, what's with the grouper stink ????

all I see now on menu's is Sea Bass.... isn't that a grouper for gawds sake..

after all, why call it sea bass, just call it what it is, who the hell is going to eat land bass...

prolly the same clowns that renamed dolphin to Hawaiian Mahi Mahi, and it's still caught in Fla waters, just tell me it's a frickin Fla Dolphin for gawds sake..

p729lws
02-21-2007, 02:52 PM
Yep, we don't get Dolphin here either but there's plenty of "Mahi Mahi" on the menu and no shortage grouper.

Dan

Trueser
02-21-2007, 03:04 PM
George
Did you give up red meat?

Sofa King
02-21-2007, 03:55 PM
In TEXAS we have the great 1015 onion. Worlds bestest onion.

12th man

gcarter
02-21-2007, 04:23 PM
You can get mahi, no sea bass, and they're really pushing flounder.....to me flounder isn't much in the way of fish.

No Mike, come down some time and I'll buy you a decent steak.

ChromeGorilla
02-21-2007, 04:47 PM
In TEXAS we have the great 1015 onion. Worlds bestest onion.
12th man

Aww...cmon..not even close..... that would be GA's VIDALIA onions....:yes:

ChromeGorilla
02-21-2007, 04:47 PM
You can get mahi, no sea bass, and they're really pushing flounder.....to me flounder isn't much in the way of fish.
No Mike, come down some time and I'll buy you a decent steak.

MMMMM.....Charleys in Orlando.......

hardcrab
02-21-2007, 07:05 PM
Just what I was gonna say, ..................... SWEEEEEET !

Cuda
02-21-2007, 09:36 PM
to me flounder isn't much in the way of fish.

I agree, I always called them "Funkfish". Too mushy, and strong for my taste.

My doctor has forbidden me to eat red meat. Excuse me while I go finish my tuna salad I brought here to the motel for dinner.:( :(

Cuda
02-21-2007, 09:37 PM
Agreed!

Sofa King
02-22-2007, 07:43 PM
Chit man, a TEXAS 1015 is a sweeter onion than a Vidalia. Next thing your gonna teach us Texans how to BBQ.

Hep hep hep

ATLDONZI
02-22-2007, 08:19 PM
yeahhh, what's with the grouper stink ????
all I see now on menu's is Sea Bass.... isn't that a grouper for gawds sake..
after all, why call it sea bass, just call it what it is, who the hell is going to eat land bass...
prolly the same clowns that renamed dolphin to Hawaiian Mahi Mahi, and it's still caught in Fla waters, just tell me it's a frickin Fla Dolphin for gawds sake..

actually Seabass is used commonly in resturaunts as a substitute because people think its grouper. and actually the seabass which they call chilean seabass is actually a patagonia toothfish, caught in antartica from what i understand.

on another note I moved to georgia 4 years ago from st petersburg and i laugh everytime i see fresh grouper on a menu... fresh to me was going out 16-25 miles out on our hatteras and catching a bunch of red and black grouper coming home fileting them and having them for dinner... thats fresh

Sofa King
02-22-2007, 08:27 PM
Lasso the Sweet Taste of Texas
Nobody Knows Onions Like Texans Know Onions

For bigger and better sweet onions, look to the Lone Star State. We breed these plump, juicy bulbs to taste as sweet as a Texas sunrise and cause no fears of tears. The first fresh onions of the season, Texas SpringSweet Onions are available from mid-March until June, while Texas 1015 SuperSweet Onions make an appearance from mid-April to June.

What makes our onion so darned sweet? Well, besides the sunny climate of South Texas' Rio Grande Valley and the gentle nature of the folks who grow these beautiful bulbs, we had some real scientific help.

Horticulturists from Texas A&M University found a way to reduce the amount of pyruvate in our onions. That's the natural chemical in all onions that brings tears to the eyes and sharpness to the tongue. Once we said goodbye to most of that, what remained was the very best of that mild, sweet Texas onion flavor.

We did all this because Texans don't take onion lightly and - as we hope you agree - good food is nothing to cry over.

Jumbo 1015s - Sweet and Smooth as a Texas Waltz

It took about 10 years and a million dollars in research to come up with a giant onion with the sweetest flavor in the country. Texas 1015 SuperSweet Onions can grow as large as a grapefruit, weigh up to a pound apiece, and are so sweet and mild you can eat them straight out of the chute. Because 1015s are predominantly single-centered and measure three to four inches in diameter, they also make especially good onion rings.

Awesome Onions with a Big Health Bonus

The sweet taste of Texas onions is reason enough to include them in your menu. But there's more good news.

Onions have naturally occurring compounds that have been reported to lower blood pressure and reduce cholesterol levels in the blood. They also contain quercitin, an antioxidant that has been found to inhibit the growth of some cancer cells. To top it off, onions are low in calories and are a good source of vitamin C.

Be Picky. Choose the Best from Texas - and Keep Them That Way!

First, pick Texas onions with shiny, thin skins and tight, dry necks. Store them in a dry, well-ventilated area, either in a single layer or in netting or hosiery (that's right - hosiery), with a knot separating each onion. If you do this, they should remain fresh up to 30 days from harvest. After you slice into a Texas SpringSweet or 1015 SuperSweet Onion, be sure to cover it in the refrigerator to preserve all that good sweetness.

How to Savor the Flavor of Texas Sweet Onions

Texas onions go anywhere other onions go - they just make the trip sweeter. Wherever onions are found in a recipe, Texas SpringSweet and 1015 SuperSweet Onions will give that dish a sweet, mild flavor and reduce the bite. For that reason, they're especially good when eaten raw - in sandwiches, salads, salsas and dips. Cooked up in other dishes, they're even sweeter. Try them in soups, casseroles, quiches, pizzas and pasta. (One pound of Texas onions equals about 5 or 6 cups of rings, or 2 1/2 cups chopped.)

ATLDONZI
02-22-2007, 08:55 PM
i feel like i just graduated onion university....

ChromeGorilla
02-22-2007, 08:58 PM
Vidalia Onions have developed an international reputation as the "world's sweetest onion." Their mild flavor is claimed to be due to the unique combination of soils and climate found in the 20-county production area.

From here..... http://plantanswers.tamu.edu/publications/onions/onionhis.html

Vidalia have a sugar level the same as a large apple or a coke.

hardcrab
02-23-2007, 12:28 PM
OK Sofa, I'll take two ..............

Ed Donnelly
02-23-2007, 09:19 PM
Sofa King; Oh my God.. I can't believe I am saying this....BUT...
I just gave you a POSITIVE feedback:yes: ....Ed

Sofa King
02-24-2007, 11:44 PM
TY Buddy:hyper: :beer:

WingWing
02-26-2007, 11:02 AM
there is a ban on grouper fishing in federal waters right now around florida. Add to the fact that the gov't is starting to make commercial fishermen use gps devices to make enforcement easier, and it is having an impact on the commercial fishermen.. That is part of the problem...

the real problem is longliners overfishing the grouper stocks. They keep the legal ones and cut up the small ones to use for bait. The point of having size limits is to allow small ones to grow large enough to reproduce and repopulate. Longlines kill everything they catch, so we have a grouper shortage. Fisheries close parts of seasons to try to allow recovery.

Only grouper you will be getting for a little while in fla is caught on a rod and reel, imported, or defrosted frozen.

gcarter
02-26-2007, 11:53 AM
there is a ban on grouper fishing in federal waters right now around florida. Add to the fact that the gov't is starting to make commercial fishermen use gps devices to make enforcement easier, and it is having an impact on the commercial fishermen.. That is part of the problem...
the real problem is longliners overfishing the grouper stocks. They keep the legal ones and cut up the small ones to use for bait. The point of having size limits is to allow small ones to grow large enough to reproduce and repopulate. Longlines kill everything they catch, so we have a grouper shortage. Fisheries close parts of seasons to try to allow recovery.
Only grouper you will be getting for a little while in fla is caught on a rod and reel, imported, or defrosted frozen.
Thank you;
This is what I was wondering about.

pmreed
02-26-2007, 04:44 PM
Black grouper was available at the Gaylord Palms in Orlando this weekend.

Phil

dfunde01
02-26-2007, 06:13 PM
Chit man, a TEXAS 1015 is a sweeter onion than a Vidalia. Next thing your gonna teach us Texans how to BBQ.
Hep hep hep

First we gotta teach ya what a pig looks like. Then we can teach ya how to dress it and make real BBQ.:wink:

Dave

gcarter
02-26-2007, 06:34 PM
Mr King is an inhabitant of Austin.
Austin has historically been a college town ( I still suspect Mr King is a student) and a government town (plus a few electronics firms).
As a college and government town, it produces nothing original, barbeque, onions, or otherwise.
If you want good barbeque, go 20 miles South of Austin to Lockhart. There you will find at least two meat markets that produce EXCELLANT barbeque. One of which has continuously been in business for over 100 years, and which I've enjoyed almost 60 years.
There are a few good colleges that have helped produce a few good things, for instance, the King Ranch and the Texas A & M veterinary school developed the Santa Gertrudas breed of cattle. Maybe they also helped develop some onions too. I'm not sure UT Austin has ever developed anything good.

florida gator
02-26-2007, 06:47 PM
If they would allow the harvest of Jewfish since they have made a big comeback there wouldn't be as many of those out there eating the grouper!!!

sweet 16 1966
02-26-2007, 07:06 PM
Now I want a grouper sandwich with onions...

Sofa King
02-26-2007, 07:17 PM
Why are you so bitter Mr. Carter?
Austin is the best town in TEXAS! People are moving here by the droves especially from CA. It is the live music capital of the world, you might of heard of SXSW, Stevie Ray Vaughn etc etc. It is also called the "silicon hills". It is home to such little companies like Dell, 3m, motorola, AMD, Broadwing and Samsung to mention just a few. Samsung is fixin to build a 5 billion dollar semi conductor plant here. UT is the largest campus in the country with over 65k living on campus and an excellent university.
In Lockhart the best is Kreitz, Blacks is the oldest owned by the same family. Elgin has some good places especially for sausage. In Lockhart Smittys is good and Chisholm Trail sucks. Try the smoked prime rib at Kreitz's, but for really good BBQ go further south to Lulling City Market :wink:
I just bought some beef ribs that are 12"'s long. Fixin to through em on the grill.

BUIZILLA
02-26-2007, 07:22 PM
UT is the largest campus in the country with over 65k living on campus
yeah, we know, but only about 25k of them actually attend class...

Sofa King
02-26-2007, 07:40 PM
That's cause of 6th St.:beer:

Sofa King
02-26-2007, 07:47 PM
Forgot Big Blue & Intell, I gues there are a few electronic firms here.

senna
02-27-2007, 01:09 PM
Also keep in mind that alot of grouper you have been eating is not grouper. Some of the suppliers have been substituting other fish and selling it as grouper. They just did a report locally and tested some restaurants and had DNA tests done on what they were served and the majority was not grouper. Now I guess they are giving DNA results with orders. SO the next time you are grinding on a grouper sandwich ask your self is it or isn't it

Patrick

P.S. Clilean sea bass was a marketing ploy. Who would order Patagonian tooth fish??

Marlin275
02-27-2007, 07:57 PM
Catch of day lands Mayfield in hot water
ST. PETERSBURG -- Max Mayfield, the former director of the National Hurricane Center, is under investigation by his former employer for possibly violating fishing laws.
Mayfield caught a 200-pound Goliath grouper while fishing with friends in the Gulf of Mexico a few days after his retirement Jan.1. The boat captain and crew slid the grouper into the boat through a door in the back, unhooked it, snapped a few celebratory photos and slid it back into the water. It swam away.
Such photographs are common fare in fishing magazines, but since Goliath is a protected species, bringing one into the boat is illegal, even if just for a few minutes. Doing so can damage a protective slime that covers the fish.
Mayfield, 58, said Monday that he had no idea he had done anything wrong until newspapers published a photo of the catch and someone complained to the National Marine Fisheries Service, a branch of the National Oceanic & Atmospheric Administration, which also oversees the National Hurricane Center.
"I love to fish, but I haven't done any in a long time. I don't know the rules," Mayfield said. "Nobody on that boat knew the rules."
Tracey Dunn, who oversees federal fishing enforcement in Florida, would not discuss specifics of Maxwell's grouper because it is under review by the fisheries service's general counsel. Sanctions can range from a written reprimand to a civil fine.
Though lack of knowledge about rules is not a defense, Dunn said, federal agents often focus their investigation more on boat captains or other experienced fishermen.
The boat in question was the 34-foot Bud & Mary, owned and captained by Richard Stanczyk, who operates a marina in Islamorada. He says he has fished the Keys for 29 years and never heard that putting a Goliath in the boat temporarily is illegal.
Stanczyk holds a charter captain's license but said he rarely takes out clients.
Mayfield is a friend, Stanczyk said, and the trip was for fun, not hire. Mayfield's son and three others also went along.
http://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/local/state/orl-grouper2707feb27,0,6361794.story?coll=orl-news-headlines-state

Sofa King
02-27-2007, 11:36 PM
I miss the Green Turtle in Islamorada :frown:

LKSD
02-28-2007, 10:15 AM
I like grouper.. WE tried it in the keys.. I cant find it anywhere up north here.. I like most seafood.. Including bearded clams.. lol... :D :D :eek!: :bonk: J