PDA

View Full Version : New Project

wrussellw
02-19-2007, 11:45 AM
I did the '69 sixteen project last year and learned alot. Alot of it by making mistakes.
After being a member of the forumn for almost a year now I realize I could have benefited greatly from more advice and research before I started.

SO.... I am planning a 22 Classic Project . What I would like is some help BEFORE I start. My basic thoughts at this points are getting a hull in good shape say mid eighties, and do a complete rebuild/restore. When I say restore I am not interested in making the boat original. I will need lots of ideas as far as engine choice. Would like a mid 70mph, reliable boat when done. Time is not really an issue, I won't be trying to get it in the water this summer. So any advice, assistance, help would be greatly appreciated.

kendoral
02-20-2007, 02:32 AM
I did the '69 sixteen project last year and learned alot. Alot of it by making mistakes.
After being a member of the forumn for almost a year now I realize I could have benefited greatly from more advice and research before I started.
SO.... I am planning a 22 Classic Project . What I would like is some help BEFORE I start. My basic thoughts at this points are getting a hull in good shape say mid eighties, and do a complete rebuild/restore. When I say restore I am not interested in making the boat original. I will need lots of ideas as far as engine choice. Would like a mid 70mph, reliable boat when done. Time is not really an issue, I won't be trying to get it in the water this summer. So any advice, assistance, help would be greatly appreciated.

I like your never, never give in ect.
Mid 70s, that's fast, alright, it's slow for a
tunnel, but for a comfortable 24 degree Heavy V, you, will need major muscle. I propose a question?---
you know, if your boat goes l00 mph, you
will get passed probably the first day, and so on and
so on. Why not just put together a solid 454 9 to 1
compression--reduced valve overlap--increased valve centres (gm's) doing it in their new Vet.,
a nice 650, Holley. NO fuel injection, unless you
like PAIN, and trouble codes,. --- if you have the
money roller lifters, and , and moderate ramp cam,.
bronze valve guides, inconel, or sodium filled
exhaust valves; hydraulic cam, of course, nice
exhust, silent choice if possible, dual plane man,
proper and (perfect) holes; and one of those
Volvo Dual Props.--however remember, if you deal
with rocks, and you damage one prop,---thay mated, in sets---I personally like aluminum, they
bend without wrecking anything -----and the result
is a 22 Donzi that goes quite fast, and isn't a Pig!
on precious gasoline (regular unleaded please)
ken

Tony
02-20-2007, 07:37 AM
and one of those Volvo Dual Props.--however remember, if you deal
with rocks, and you damage one prop,---thay mated, in sets---I personally like aluminum, they
bend without wrecking anything

Find a DPX, it is Volvo's duo-prop racing version produced in the mid to late 90's. Handles a ton of hp, and is fast and strong. It's discontinued, but parts are available and, if you can find one, it should be cheap.

:beer:

glashole
02-20-2007, 08:43 AM
if looking for reliability why not try to find a low hour 502 fuel injected with a bravo package

I'm sure someone has repowered and gotten rid of the above and it could be had for a reasonable amount of money :)

parts are readily avaliable and it should get you into the mph you are looking for :yes:

in the long run it is cheaper to get it as a running package (in my experience)

Shea

wrussellw
02-20-2007, 03:13 PM
My intial thoughts were to pick up a decent hull and maybe trailer. Not sure what year? I was thinking mid eighties.
Then put together a new engine / outdrive package. Then upgrade interior, gauges, etc. I would prefer to go with a drive that is in current production or at least recently discontinued