PDA

View Full Version : Project Update - Black Widow

ThunderMarineDave
02-19-2007, 08:15 AM
Finally got around to making some more headway on my 1990 Black Widow 25.

I did some refinishing on the windshield, installed interior, and got some more of the gelcoat buffed out.

Hopefully I'll have a motor and drive installed by summer....

-David

glashole
02-19-2007, 09:28 AM
those seats turned out awesome :)

The Hedgehog
02-20-2007, 08:51 AM
You are doing a beautiful job. What kind of engine/drive combo are you planning to use to do the rest of that justice?

LKSD
02-20-2007, 09:19 AM
Nice ride.. You may want to consider being an advertiser here as well to plug your place.. ;) Just curious Whats with the coca cola logos?? Also what kind of power are you going to run in the boat? Is it stock or or are you repowering? :) Jamie / Lakeside

ThunderMarineDave
02-21-2007, 11:53 AM
Thanks for the supporting comments - considering how rough the boat was when I started, I am smiling real wide... (and my shoulders are wider from running a hispeed buffer for about 100 hours...)

Power is in pieces - the former 460 King Cobra was sold (drive and all) on day 1 of the project. The OMC might not have been "bad", but being behind the desk at one of America's premier Mercury dealers kind of obligated me to running a black motor. (But then, we are the #1 Baja dealer in the country and it doesn't hinder from me from running a Donzi...) :wink:

The future power is still on the ground - a clean '04 496, hotrod cam, CMIs, XR drive with Imco -2". It should push to 70+, but I think I need to upgrade the steering if I want it to run best...

Hope to see everyone on the water this summer.

-David

ps - Yesterday I was offered a 30 Black Widow in about the same condition as mine (cosmetically 90% restored, still need power installed but it's all there...) - contact me direct and I'll forward you to the seller...

ThunderMarineDave
02-21-2007, 11:56 AM
Supposedly, this boat ran in some Puerto Rican offshore event, and that is where the CocaCola stickers came from. (I don't believe any of this, but they look kinda cool, so they are staying for now...)

-David

The Hedgehog
02-21-2007, 03:17 PM
Very nice. It should run well. Keep us posted. I really enjoy seeing people fix up boats like that.

What else to you plan to do to it?

FISHIN SUCKS
02-21-2007, 04:04 PM
Looks GREAT David. I like what you did with the stitching on the seats. I had already sent off my vinyl to Don by the time I read your post (thanx for the input though:wink: ) What year is your 24'? The black pharing looks like Joel's up in MN, looks good. What kind of shape is the cuddy in? Keep up the good work, I be likin' it:yes:

joel3078
02-21-2007, 09:43 PM
Yupper looks like she's coming along nice.
Take a look at the front lifting ring/cleat on pic #3. Looks like it's tweeked to the left of center. Could just be an optical dillusion however.

Anybody know what kind of metal the engine vents are made out of on the back sides of the boat? I wanna get mine rechromed some day.

ThunderMarineDave
02-22-2007, 07:25 AM
Yes, the front ring cleat is goobered. The support rod is rusted and the cleat is pushed up 1/8"+ - I need to wait until I get the die grinder running to remove and replace.

The boat is a 1990 - the gelcoat is all original, but the red topside and windscreen have been painted.

The cuddy is almost as new - there is some minor wear in the carpet (primarely due to water accumulating in the bilge under the cuddy), but cushions, walls, etc are all mint.

The plan is to replace the dash and gauges, add hydraulic steering, install chart and depth plotter, replace steering wheel - I'm sure I'll add more to the list as I complete these...

I have a real good deal on Keikheiffer style K planes - exact copies, less than $2000 for the entire setup - I'm still debating...

I want to refinish the engine compartment, add mirrors to the hatch and bilge, get a piece of polished diamond plate to cover the inner transom (and make for fancy mounts for trim pumps, etc), make a nice rack to hold dock lines, spare prop mount, etc.

I also have access to a set of Raylar heads and intake manifold - would bump the motor to 650+hp (thoughts of lots of maintenance and part flying out of engine block start to cloud the picture...)

I will update as it progresses...

-David
THUNDER MARINE
800-984-3098

Donzigo
02-23-2007, 05:21 PM
There might be a few people out at Shell Island this weekend, if the weather is warm. We'd love to see the boat.

ThunderMarineDave
02-26-2007, 10:59 AM
Yes, it was a nice weekend, and I saw lots of boat out.

My boat still sinks (as there is nothing filling the big hole in the middle of the transom), but I hope to be floating soon...

-David

bwidowdonzi
03-02-2007, 02:19 PM
Very nice! I am in the middle of restoring mine as well. We just bought a bravo one set up to replace the blown king cobra. Engine was rebuilt 3 years ago, and we are doing new paint in April. I wish mine looked like yours right now! Ever heard of anyone covering up the window in the hull for a more modern look?

rainy24
03-06-2007, 12:09 AM
Boat looks pretty minty, I've got the same thing, 1990 BW24 with a 502/King cobra drive, and I love it. The hydraulic steering is worth the money. Just waiting for the six feet of ice on the lake to melt! You'll have a real head turner when youre done!

FISHIN SUCKS
03-06-2007, 08:50 AM
Ever heard of anyone covering up the window in the hull for a more modern look?
Cover up the windows:eek!: :eek!: :eek!: Oh no! That would be like glassing over the rear window(s) on a '63-'67 Corvette, or like taking a convertible and welding on a hardtop. Okay, I'm sorry. Didn't mean to be so hard on a newbie. I just really like the round porthole windows. We get a lot of compliments on ours here and people always seem to point out how much they like the windows. It's your boat and is important for you to drive and enjoy:yes:

my 2 cents

joel3078
03-06-2007, 10:22 AM
Don't change the port hole style windows. IF you cover them up, the boat will start to look like a Stingray brand and you don't want to go there.

bwidowdonzi
03-07-2007, 09:07 PM
Point made... I get it. Dumb question. Thanks for waking me up.

Question for anybody. Where are the best places to get the new rug for the boat, decals , etc...

TheFees
03-07-2007, 11:40 PM
:superman: In the first shot the boat looks snub nosed, then in the front bow shot, it looks like a 22 classic shape. I know this is a worthless reply, but I wanted to put my 2 cents in. The boat looks beautiful, the color combination is great, and the interior look terrific.

FISHIN SUCKS
03-08-2007, 09:11 AM
Point made... I get it. Dumb question. Thanks for waking me up.
Question for anybody. Where are the best places to get the new rug for the boat, decals , etc...
Awww now ya went and did it...now I feel bad for makin' ya think you asked a dumb question:( No big deal, guess I just never would think of removing the windows. But you know, I know what you mean by trying to update the appearance and there was a 24' widow for sale not too long ago where the boat had been repainted in I believe solid red with black and white checker board wrapping up the rear and going onto the sunpad. Looked pretty cool.

Not sure of any particular place for a rug, maybe Don at boatclinic.net . got my Decals from a dealer up in Michigan. Don't ask Joel about rug in the cockpit, he's 'anti-rug':biggrin.:

tom

joel3078
03-08-2007, 10:39 AM
Hey, I love the rugs. I'm just too lazy to snap em in, and then unsnap them out to clean them. Bare floor is much too easy to clean and then those water drain back holes in the corner of the back seats are a great feature. I have original carpet for mine but have never used it. I got too many drunk chicks on my boat the like to spill!

#1 I can sell ya mine as I will never use them - no idea how much they are worth however. Mine are in good shape but not perfect. They are factory originals and have the black widow logo stuff embroidered in them. Original/previous owner used them however.
#2 Bilt Rite used to make the interiors - dunno about the carpet.
#3 http://www.snapincarpet.com/ These guys will make you a set.

Hey Tom - email me info on the stickers. I'm gonna need a new set some day.

About those port holes. They work really nice to vent the cabin on a hot summer day. Open them up a little bit along with the big round one on the top/deck. Without those port holes, the cuddy would be too friggen hot to use. The port holes look a lot better from the inside/cuddy. They work just like an old retro design and function very well. Watch out for the bug screens falling out however. The like to rotate with boat vibration, waves, etc. and come loose or fall out. I'll should tack mine in with a little clear silicon glue.

bwidowdonzi
05-27-2007, 08:23 PM
I just read your reply on the carpet ,, if you still want to sell it I am interested, the black widow is finally getting painted this week, stereo next week, week after that the bravo one is going on { replaced the k.cobra}. Just so we are on the same page I have a 1990 24 black widow. thanks for the other information everyone. Don't worry , the porthole windows will still be there. markphoch@aol.com