PDA

View Full Version : Junk mail!

MOP
02-18-2007, 09:06 AM
Like many I get an extraordinary amount of junk mail over 100 a day, had an idea I wanted to bounce of you Techies. If I were to over load my account so my qoata was exceeded and the junk mail was kicked back would that help things.

Phil

BUIZILLA
02-18-2007, 09:26 AM
set your security settings to medium-high, and 90% of it will disappear, maybe more.. :wink:

goatee
02-18-2007, 10:07 AM
but to answer you question....
i would say no. i think that would restrict ALL mail, including the stuff you want.

Formula Jr
02-18-2007, 05:04 PM
Junk mailers absolutely do not care at all what counter measures you try to use.
At least not at your level.

You'll have to get three new email address and put them in your mail program.
One is your private e-mail, only to be used for very important stuff, confirmations on airline tickets,...etc and only given to people you can trust not to abuse it and on sites that use security. Think this e-mail address like a password.

Then a mid-level e-mail, such as the one you use on this site or use with your family and friends, at least the ones that don't do "joke of the day" CCs.

Then a trash email for signing up to various other sites that you will not be visiting that often and don't care how long you have to maintain it.

if you are getting 100 a day, you will soon be getting 400 a day and then you will not be able to use the POP server space anymore anyway since it will fill up all the time.

This will give you some idea of their mind set

http://www.newfangled.com/email_bounce_back

There is a number I could give out as a bounce back, but that doesn't solve the problem
it just creates more junk traffic. The few people that would use this would be imperceptable to bulk mailers. I don't want to give out the one I use.

http://www.mailwasher.net/

Here is a free soft that will bounce back.

But once your e-mail is a target and on the main commercial lists as valid, its too much of a hassle to protect it unless that e-mail address is vital to you and/or your business.

Trueser
02-18-2007, 05:55 PM
Mop,
Are you still on AOL?

MOP
02-18-2007, 07:32 PM
Mop,
Are you still on AOL?

Never have been on AOL from what I have witnessed it SUCKS, I have been on the same small server (ISP) for about 15 years.

rustnrot
02-18-2007, 08:26 PM
I read the thread and thought snail mail junk mail. We get about a dozen a day! First stop is the trash can and I sort most out right there before it even gets in the house. Yeah, I know you are supposed to shred those pesky credit applications but if I was doing that (or even opening the stuff) I would still be working on 2002's mail!

Seriously, any idea how to cut off or reduce snail mail junk mail? I know when you forward your address it stops...they do not forward it. Could I forward my address to myself and make a subtle change like Drive to Road, would that work?

And...be easy on Phil, he just got a digital camera and now you expect him to get rid of his dial-up??

McGary911
02-19-2007, 05:59 PM
Phil,
I've haven't kept my email that close, and i really haven't gotten on a lot of spam lists. Either that or my ISPs have very good filtering. Since moving, I've realized it's a PAIN to let everyone know my new email address (because of the new ISP). I now use my Gmail account as my primary. I hate webmail, but you can configure your current mail client to work with gmail, so you use it locally. someone has to invite you to get an account, so if you'd like, shoot me an email, and i'll invite you.
As for giving your legit email address to a site, just to sign up for a site that requires a real email address to activate: goto www.mailinator.com . just enter philmop@mailinator.com . Then go to the mailinator site, enter philmop, and anyemails sent to that address will be there. They'll keep it for a couple of hours, so you can retrieve it and activate whatever you need to. I doubt i explained it well. Go to the site and you'll get it.