PDA

View Full Version : bilge depth sensor

Zinger
02-17-2007, 02:54 PM
Hello where is a good location in the bilge(22 classic) to mount a depth sensor. I need to replace my transom sensor now after my dumb :bonk: :confused: a-- ripe it off with the buffer.

MOP
02-17-2007, 04:08 PM
Jeff glue it to the hull just forward of the engine, do not worry about angle the transducer shoots a cone pattern. I use Silicone but several have used Epoxy, I like Silicone as it can be or removed fairly easy if it craps out. Call me I will give you a tip or two!

Phil

undertaker
02-17-2007, 04:14 PM
Here is where mine was installed from the factory:)

Undertaker:cool:

tangent70
02-17-2007, 04:16 PM
That looks like a bilge pump not a depth sensor

hardcrab
02-17-2007, 04:30 PM
That looks like a bilge pump not a depth sensor
I assume it's the black puck next to the bilge pump..........
yes, use 100% silicone to affix the transducer, work out any air bubbles as they will interfere with the reading

MOP
02-17-2007, 04:45 PM
The puck is just north of the pump!

undertaker
02-17-2007, 05:59 PM
Sorry should have been more specific the bilge pump is white the transducer is black.:bonk: :bonk: :bonk:

Undertaker:propeller :propeller

KRAVEN
02-18-2007, 10:40 AM
Does it matter what color silicone is used? MIne was remounted when the bildge glass was repaired,but is having intermittent problems shooting thru th hull.I think there may be air trapped because if there is any water in the bildge it tends to work.:confused:

hardcrab
02-18-2007, 10:54 AM
KRAVEN,
color isn't an issue, air pockets are. clean off the silicone thats there now and apply another bed - work the transducer around to get any bubbles out. If you still have the symptoms, try placeing the transducer in another location (a few inches over) to eliminate the possibility of a bubble in the fiberglass hull.
You can also test hull locations by putting the transducer in a baggie full of mineral oil and check your reading.
ALSO; route the transducer cable away from other wiring to prevent electrial interference

yeller
02-18-2007, 08:00 PM
The sensor I have was designed to mount through the hull. I have removed it and I am getting the hole in the hull fixed. Should I be able to mount this sensor in the bilge? Is there any such thing as a sensor that has to mount outside the hull?