PDA

View Full Version : MSD Shift Assist

Barry Eller
02-13-2007, 08:08 PM
I just recieved my new MSD Shift Assist kit. My OMC shift intrupter switch is still in place. I grounded the neg side of the coil with one wire, it has worked so-so. With the new shift interrupt system, I'm confused, do I still need to have a ground wire to the coil? The instructions are a little confusing...Anyone here ever installed one of these?
I have the MSD 6M-2 ignition.
I started a new thread in the Tech section, with photos and MSD diagrams without understanding the fact that Tech Threads have to be moderated....
So hopefully they will approve and post the photos so someone may be able to help.
Thanks

Greg K
02-14-2007, 06:33 AM
Barry,

I wired one of these before and to the best of my recollection, the switch on the shifter bracket is still used to trigger the shift assist which is wired to the MSD box. I was still using an HEI type distributor when I did this at the time. I can't remember if I still had to break into the wire to the coil or not. I don't have the wire diagram at this moment. I'll see if I can find it tonight.

Barry Eller
02-14-2007, 06:49 AM
Thanks Greg,

I PM'd MadPoodle to "moderate" my "Tech" thread to release scans of my diagram and photos of my "trigger" switch. I don't think I need the second wire to the coil. The way I understand it, the switch needs 1 wire to (-) ground, the other to be connected to a "gray" wire on the new module.

I just want to make sure before I "SMOKE" something!:boggled:

Greg K
02-14-2007, 07:24 AM
I think that is it...I remember the grey wire and the other wire to ground is probably correct.

Barry Eller
02-14-2007, 07:34 AM
Thanks, I think I'll call MSD Tech support today and confirm. I'm using a MSD Pro-Billet distributor, the shift assist came with a Pig Tail to disconnect the distributor from the ignition module and connect to the shift assist module. Shift assist module then connects to the ignition module.

The ankle bone is connected to the foot bone....

Barry Eller
02-16-2007, 06:37 AM
I re sized and renamed the file to upload the MSD Shift Assist diagram.
Figure 3-A is the one that applies. The single gray wire that goes to ESA module is my concern. I don't have an assist module, so I'm thinking that the gray wire goes to one side of the interrupt switch and the other side of the interrupt switch to (-) ground. No additional wire to the coil.
Any thoughts?

98shovel
02-16-2007, 11:18 AM
barry
are u using a 6 box or ready to run dist.
from my exp. msd said u had to run the esa it controlled the shift assist module the msd assist was only to use with the esa i spent sevral hrs messing with it and it still didnt work properly so i changed my sytem commpletley to retard ignition timing wene shifting wich drops the idle to unload the drive

Barry Eller
02-16-2007, 06:15 PM
barry
are u using a 6 box or ready to run dist.
from my exp. msd said u had to run the esa it controlled the shift assist module the msd assist was only to use with the esa i spent sevral hrs messing with it and it still didnt work properly so i changed my sytem commpletley to retard ignition timing wene shifting wich drops the idle to unload the drive

I called MSD today, the gray wire will go to one side of the switch, the module I purchased is the ESA with the MSD 6M-2 and MSD Pro Billet Dist.
I'll finnish wiring it up this weekend, but I won't be able to test this weekend.

Daytona, Sunday on TV, and a high temp of mid to upper 50's. Too cold for this Florida Boy!